JD Silver Select

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is my first experience with this TN Whiskey.

My notes are rather simple...I don't pretend to pick out each nuanced flaver:

Color...reddish gold.

Nose...nice, sweetly spicy aromas, caramel.

Taste....first impression is the alcohol due to the higher proof...which gives way to oak, a tiny hint of cinammon w honey, leather, dried fruit.

Lingering taste...after several minutes...I do pick up the ripe banana flaver on my tongue....not unpleasant at all...rather appealing..a roundish fat flavor that hangs around. I will have to pay attention with bourbons to see if this is prevalent....vs something I was expecting to find. The power of suggestion is very high with tasting notes.

One ice cube...as expected it brings out some sweetness.

Overall, a very fine whiskey. To me, very KY bourbon like...maybe some of you will no way....but to me...very similar.

In some ways, SS reminds me of Stagg....I know, I am nuts. I don't pick up any kind of "char" taste.

how much is this going for?

funny, i don't like JD, but i still very much like the Gentleman Jack...and from it, i got that 'banana' sense. i was impressed. am curious how the other upper shelf JDs are...

thanks for the notes!

I recall it in the Duty Free going for about $29....I could be wrong....as my friend gave me the total for 3 whiskeys they were not broken down by bottle...I am going on memory when I saw it in the airport in October.

If I am off on the price somebody please correct me.

On another site somebody mentioned a "bing cherry" taste....I missed it but then again my individual tasting notes are lacking....it came across initially as a strong....100 proof whiskey but ends fairly gentle....a nice "bourbon" profile to my taste buds....not like the regular Old #7. I can't compare it to Gentleman Jack or SB....there is a thread on those two.

The Silver Select runs about 45.00 in duty free which is decent considering regular single barrel also runs 45.00 in my area!

Thanks for updating the price Thomas!

It is a good pour but I don't know that it is clearly better than many other lesser priced bourbons...but...it makes a nice addition to ones collection.

To think I was able to get 3 premium bottles...2 Canadian and 1 TN for the price of 1 very nice Scotch Single Malt shows the still affordable nature of North American whiskey...let us hope it lasts!

Silver Select is just a relabeling of Single Barrel, at a different proof. The selection criteria is the same. In addition to duty free, they also use the Silver Select kit when somebody does their buy-a-barrel program.

This is my first experience with this TN Whiskey.

You've inspired me to open my bottle. This is the 2nd TN whisky I have ever tasted, after the Dickel Barrel Select.

I taste a very broad banana flavor in the background as well, though it is not sweet or creamy, almost like dried banana chips. I also found the honey, leather and dried fruit notes, but not the cinamon.

I found the alcohol a bit too high for me, so I added 1 oz. of water and a small ice cube to my 5 oz. pour and am enjoying it immensely.

I was expecting this to be some what similiar to the Dickel Barrel Select (which is a vanilla milkshake of goodness) but in fact the two are nothing alike. A nice addition to the collection, but at $50 a bottle, I wont be getting a replacement when this is gone (whereas I will be getting a replacement for the similarly priced Dickel BS, when that one goes).

Attila...the cinammon was just a background hint...not prominent..maybe I fooled myself! Anyway, I agree that it is a little too pricey in comparison to other good whiskeys..KY or TN...but it is a nice addition. The ice does open it up a bit and reduces the initial alcohol hit. I will have to add the Dickel to my collection.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.