Is Whiskey River Running Dry? (And Other Trivia)

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Today a vet run took Chelsea, our gimpy wire-haired terrier mix, and me close to one of my two favorite liquor retailers in this vicinity, Hi-Time Wine Cellars, and I couldn't resist going in "just for a quick look".

Among the specials I found Old Whiskey River at $16.99, so now I have a bottle to comfort me one of these days. I believe the only knock I had heard on this bourbon is that it may be overpriced compared to other products of Heaven Hill origin of similar or better quality. At this price I figured it was worth a try.

Such a deep reduction in price (was $26.99 at this store) suggests to me that the nationwide sales of this product may have been much lower than planned. Does anyone have any information in that regard?

At the same time I picked up another Old Forester 100, another Woodford Reserve ($23.99 on special) and my first Old Fitz 1849. I had intended to try another bottle of Old Fitz BIB, in the hope that I would discover that my first bottle was not representative. However, when I tried to reach for a bottle, my hand refused to obey orders and grasped the adjacent 1849, instead. Are the two expressions similar?

With the intent of a "quick look" now only a fading memory, I happened to notice a 1.75L bottle of a non-bourbon product named after a game bird on special for a mere $25.99. For me, the purchase of 1.75 liters of any liquor is a leap of faith, due to my constantly changing taste so far. Worst case, I'm sure my cheapskate son will take it off my hands.

Oh, and one more thing... Which one of you sneaked into my house and made off with my OGD 114? I would have sworn that I bought a bottle about a month ago, and now I can't find it. I've looked in all three locations where I customarily stash liquor. My wife doesn't drink liqour at all, and my son drinks only s-----. I'm totally stumped. Has this ever happened to you?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave, I didn't take your OGD 114...but now that I know you've got a bottle of Old Fitz 1849 at your house, I might start casing the joint.

Seriously, I think you'll enjoy the Old Fitz 1849. I had a small glass of this earlier this evening, as well as a small glass of Woodford Reserve. The Old Fitz didn't suffer all that much during the comparison, it's one of my favorite under-$20 bottles.

One store doesn't tell you much. It just means it didn't turn fast enough there, so they slashed it to clean out the inventory and free up the shelf space. It might be doing gangbusters down the road.

I noticed it at 3 different liquor stores in Louisville yesterday peached high on the top shelf, keeping company with the Wathens and VanWinkles. I think they price it in the low 30 here. smirk.gif

I think I saw it at LB here for about $24, and that included the Willie Nelson guitar pick grin.gif

Wonder how much of this you have to drink to bring out that nasal quality in your voice? As far as that goes how much would it take for you to grab a guitar and catch a greyhound to Nashville? Just to be safe get a round trip ticket, you'll sober up eventually! smirk.gif

Yeah, I guess the drinkin' my woman left me/ran off with my ex best friend/came back / got hit by a train has all been done I guess the angle of the inexperienced 16 year old girl with braces who learns a lot in one week has merit ( if you could find the right girl) It's enough to drive a man to drinkin' I tell you or religion one . The drinking would cover it. grin.gif

... uh, you say you visited three liqour stores in one day?

There must be a story worth telling here. wink.gif

Are you in the shelf management game?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Yep Dave, 3 I've been to more than that at times. I was on what turned out to be a fruitfull search for Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. I do have a shelf that i manage at times as well. Better known now as Bob's Bourbo-Bunker! grin.gif

Judging from your write up over in the 1849 thread it sounds like my prediction came true. smirk.gif

You are correct.

I have to tell you, I was surprised to find that I like it. It bears no resemblance whatsoever to my Old Fitz BIB, except for the color.

I took another tiny drink of the BIB, after my third or fourth glass of the 1849, and it is even worse than I remembered. I've decided to put it out of its misery the next time I have to kill some weeds. My bottle absolutely has something wrong with it.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.