BTAC Info Sheet Thread

barturtle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As others have said, glad to read about the GTS, since it's my fave of the BTAC.

Happy to read we didn't have any 80% evaporation tragedies apart from ER17 this year.

Proofs are way down this year, not that I mind - perfectly happy when they're in the 120s. In fact I'm always happy when they're under 140 since my life is easier when they can be taken legally on planes.

Don't care much about the new Saz18 or the current ER17 (it would be a different story if they released either at barrel proof like GTS or WLW, but...), so this year has really gone my way! Long may numbers like this continue!

I was fortunate enough to snag a bottle from each of the last two releases at relatively close to MSRP, selected from my favorite LS's waiting list (I think they must've given me a few stars by my name or something for being a regular).  Seeing the increased numbers, here's hoping I snag another this year!  But, the only ones I would consider paying a premium above MSRP for are the WLW and GTS . . . even then, I have my limits, and they're not very high. 

• 1 year later...

2019 BTAC info is out.  Not sure what is allowed as far as posting a link so I will refrain.  But its on Breaking Bourbon and generally the same information all over the place if you google "2019 Buffalo Trace Antique."  However, thus far I am not seeing any information regarding number of barrels for each release and thus no estimated # of bottles either. . .

Most noticeable for me is that this years Stagg is only 116pf!

11 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Most noticeable for me is that this years Stagg is only 116pf!

Yeah!   I saw that, too.   

Could be sublime whiskey... rich and thick, with scads of flavor, a lovely nose, a wide and deep profile; but, GTS has been those things most of the time at rather higher ABV and, as far as I've ever heard... nobody complained.

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Yeah!   I saw that, too.   

Could be sublime whiskey... rich and thick, with scads of flavor, a lovely nose, a wide and deep profile; but, GTS has been those things most of the time at rather higher ABV and, as far as I've ever heard... nobody complained.

The proof hounds complain when Stagg is less than 130 proof. I’m hoping this especially low proof keeps more of them away. 

• I like it 2

The 2019 BTAC info is available on the BT website. As Bob posted, nothing was mentioned about the number of bottles from each offering this year. :huh: Hmmmmm.

Biba! Joe

Definite hmmm on the not including barrel count this year. The all of a sudden lack of transparency is troubling.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Definite hmmm on the not including barrel count this year. The all of a sudden lack of transparency is troubling.

As far as I know, there are no rules requiring them to give out that information. In the past, when they did so, I thought that it was an added plus. True we’ve grown used to having this information over the years, but condemning BT for a lack of transparency is a bit much IMHO. 

Joe

Joe I find it odd that this year they decide to not provide barrel counts, curious what the reason or reasons would be.

• I like it 1

I think that maybe a check of the news archives on the BT website might be in order. Here we go. The first mention of the BTAC was back in 2011. There was no mention of any numbers of any kind. There was no BTAC info at all for 2012. In 2013, no mention of any numbers. For 2014-2019, the only mention of any numbers at all was with the number of barrels of GTS. That’s all there is. 

I understand that people at other bourbon websites & blogs have their own contacts and sources where they get their information. It isn’t beyond reason for them to get different and/or more info before it becomes common knowledge, and then post it.

Joe

From what I have heard BB just takes the number of barrels and accounts for the evaporation loss to guesstimate the number of bottles. Hard to do though without the number of barrels.

For me at least, the only tangible result of Saz/BT publishing the quantities for national distribution is the ginning up of even more hype for those brands seen as 'more limited' because of the smaller number of bottles.    ?

Does anyone see this as some kind of benefit, because I do not?   :mellow:

14 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Your BT hard-on is showing again..........

I think that maybe a check of the news archives on the BT website might be in order. Here we go. The first mention of the BTAC was back in 2011. There was no mention of any numbers of any kind. There was no BTAC info at all for 2012. In 2013, no mention of any numbers. For 2014-2019, the only mention of any numbers at all was with the number of barrels of GTS. That’s all there is. 

I understand that people at other bourbon websites & blogs have their own contacts and sources where they get their information. It isn’t beyond reason for them to get different and/or more info before it becomes common knowledge, and then post it.

Joe

Come on Joe I think since at least 2006 they’ve been listing the number of barrels selected with each bottle in the collection on the press release fact sheets prior to distributing.

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/antique-collection#2

You said Hmm in your post as if you where also curious why after many years of doing so they would stop? I agreed with you I find this odd as well. Why do we think they would stop listing number of barrels after providing this information for so many years?

5 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Come on Joe I think since at least 2006 they’ve been listing the number of barrels selected with each bottle in the collection on the press release fact sheets prior to distributing.

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/antique-collection#2

You said Hmm in your post as if you where also curious why after many years of doing so they would stop? I agreed with you I find this odd as well. Why do we think they would stop listing number of barrels after providing this information for so many years?

I see you checked out their website. Good job. I totally forgot they posted the BTAC fact sheets in their bourbons section. My bad. Did you happen to check out the news archives that I mentioned? 

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/sites/default/files/BUFFALOTRACEDISTILLERYRELEASES2011ANTIQUECOLLECTION.pdf

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/sites/default/files/Antique Collection 2013 News Rls FINAL 8-21-13.pdf

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/sites/default/files/Antique Collection 2014 News Rls FINAL 9-4-14.pdf

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/sites/default/files/Antique Collection 2015 News Rls 8-4-15 FINAL.pdf

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/sites/default/files/Antique Collection 2016 News Rls 9-1-16.pdf

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/sites/default/files/Antique Collection News Rls - final.pdf

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/sites/default/files/Antique Collection 2018 News Rls 8-29-18.pdf

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/sites/default/files/Antique Collection 2019 News Rls FINAL 9-5-19.pdf

To quote the lyrics from a Stephen Stills song, "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong."  

Biba! Joe

On 9/20/2019 at 5:38 PM, HoustonNit said:

Agreed. I am guessing the lower proof had a quick run in with the water truck on its way to the bottling line this year and thus the lower proof. I'm sure it is fantastic as usual and I would grab as many as I can, but something seems off since they didn't release the barrel count.

3 hours ago, elmossle said:

Agreed. I am guessing the lower proof had a quick run in with the water truck on its way to the bottling line this year and thus the lower proof. I'm sure it is fantastic as usual and I would grab as many as I can, but something seems off since they didn't release the barrel count.

Huh?

Most of the barrels came from lower floors. That explains the proof.

• I like it 2

21 hours ago, flahute said:

Huh?

Most of the barrels came from lower floors. That explains the proof.

Only if you believe what they are selling. Could most of the barrels be from the lower floors and thus the lower proof, absolutely. But I have my doubts. In this hyped up world we live in, they will say anything to get people to believe what they are pushing as a story or marketing tactic. Not that they need to do any marketing for the BTAC line, but I'm not convinced they wouldn't add a few drops of water to help the bottle count and drive a large profit. I truly hope my theory is dead wrong, but we know how crazy the bourbon market is these days and the lengths people will go to cash in. Maybe BT has finally decided to do the same. Just my $.02

14 minutes ago, elmossle said:

Only if you believe what they are selling. Could most of the barrels be from the lower floors and thus the lower proof, absolutely. But I have my doubts. In this hyped up world we live in, they will say anything to get people to believe what they are pushing as a story or marketing tactic. Not that they need to do any marketing for the BTAC line, but I'm not convinced they wouldn't add a few drops of water to help the bottle count and drive a large profit. I truly hope my theory is dead wrong, but we know how crazy the bourbon market is these days and the lengths people will go to cash in. Maybe BT has finally decided to do the same. Just my $.02

You are venturing into tin foil hat territory here.

• I like it 7

6 hours ago, elmossle said:

Why would they do something illegal to cash in when they could simply raise MSRP and still easily sell all the bottles instantly? 

• I like it 1

They could double MSRP and a bottle would not sit even a second longer on the shelf (assuming a bottle ever gets there).

Watering it down... seriously?  Did I somehow just magically log onto some noob FB bourbon page, by accident?:0

I realize that for some folks this may a bit of a shocking revelation, but I don't think that Buffalo Trace is going to live or die by the number of BTAC collection bottles sold this year.  

Now I have to go turn my antennae away from this alternative universe, so we can get back to regularly scheduled programming! 

Carry on!   

• I like it 1

To plagiarize a bit from our political arena, there appears to be a number of people on this site with BTDS, Buffalo Trace Derangement Syndrome

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.