BTAC Info Sheet Thread

barturtle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey, Ken Weber, who was managing BTAC back in 2006 when he made the comment in these forums was quite clear that they were increasing production every year and he thought BT was the fastest growing producer of whisky. Simply based on that alone they should have more barrels to choose from (considering the last bump in barrel count for WLW was a few years ago, there should be increased potential to find barrels making the cut by now). The barrels of WLW bottled this year come from 2006 so the timing is right. Further, the fact that this year, which is the first time since 2008 (when barrels chosen for WLW were significantly less in number), they were able to source all the WLW from a single warehouse over 2 floors, seems to strongly indicate that they had a lot of selection to choose from and did not need to go picking barrels from 5 warehouses.

As to the reason they gave you... It is really a non-answer. It is also just as easily a justification of why not.

Whatever, by 2014 BT was clearly in middle of a major expansion and they have not slowed down, so even if it is the case that they don't have that many barrels this year, in 5-10 years they will definitely have a significant increase in what is available (at least in the age range of WLW and maybe GTS.).

42 minutes ago, matt777 said:

The barrels of WLW bottled this year come from 2006 so the timing is right.

That isn't to say that a lot of those barrels didn't get chopped off at the knees to become OWA, which hit a demand level in recent years that BT did not anticipate.

And it is also not to say that they didn't sell an increased amount to Mr Van Winkle.

They could, in light of the above, actually have LESS barrels available for WLW, particularly if (as the story suggests that he does) Mr Van Winkle chose the honey barrels for his portfolio.

IIRC, Ken Weber left BT in 2007. I don’t know the reason he left, but there were rumors that something untoward happened, and that it was not an amicable split. Operative word, rumors. Just sayin’. 

Joe

On 9/27/2019 at 8:21 AM, BottledInBond said:

Did you try the CYPB last year? I did not understand the hype at all. 

I did not.  I understand it is not going to be worth the secondary, but what is?  I would like to try it though and with this November being my 8 year wedding anniversary thought it would be a cool bottle to open at that time.

22 hours ago, matt777 said:

I think the production of BTAC is way up with much more barrels available for bottling than they want to say.

17 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I also received an answer to the email that I sent BT asking why they didn’t post the number of barrels of the BTAC this year. It’s BT’s standard practice not to release any barrel numbers from their other releases. So, they chose not to release that info for the BTAC. That’s it plain and simple. 

Increased production is my tin foil hypothesis as well based on absolutely zero evidence!   Well I guess I do know my LS has told me that they have fewer issues taking care of regulars with BTAC and PVW as those allotments are fairly large compared to other releases (OFBB, 4RLE, CYPB, EHT etc . . .).  Again, I am new to this whole part of bourbon, but wasn't it just two years ago that the number of Stagg bottles jumped up to the high thirty thousands for 2017 and 2018 marking a huge increase?  Maybe I'm just hopeful that this trend is continuing.

Thanks for following up Joe!  Sometimes the simplest explanation is correct and conspiracy theories aside the answer given is certainly reasonable.  Wish they went the other way though and gave us barrel counts of more releases!  

14 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Well I guess I do know my LS has told me that they have fewer issues taking care of regulars with BTAC and PVW

Also noticed at least since 2017 (when bottles produced increased significantly) more and more stores are developing a deep shelf of these bottles (at ridiculous prices). A year or two earlier their shelves were empty of these bottles. Sooner or later stores will need to build their own warehouses to stockpile the bottles they are not selling.

34 minutes ago, matt777 said:

Also noticed at least since 2017 (when bottles produced increased significantly) more and more stores are developing a deep shelf of these bottles (at ridiculous prices). A year or two earlier their shelves were empty of these bottles. Sooner or later stores will need to build their own warehouses to stockpile the bottles they are not selling.

Sadly... They actually ARE selling them.   Maybe not instantly at the inflated ask; but, selling 'em all if and when they wanna do so, I bet.   

Warehouses probably won't be required anytime soon, as long as the 'Taters' are willing to camp out, and over-pay through their collective noses.

6 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Sadly... They actually ARE selling them.   Maybe not instantly at the inflated ask; but, selling 'em all if and when they wanna do so, I bet.   

Warehouses probably won't be required anytime soon, as long as the 'Taters' are willing to camp out, and over-pay through their collective noses.

They do sell a bottle here and there, but every time I walk into some of the local stores I feel like the number of these bottles they have on the shelf has increased. Their high-end cabinet where they display these have gone from being a small shelf (that maybe 2 years back did not have a single bottle of PVW or BTAC on it) to a sizable display (with perhaps a couple of dozen of these bottles sitting around the whole year).

8 hours ago, matt777 said:

They do sell a bottle here and there, but every time I walk into some of the local stores I feel like the number of these bottles they have on the shelf has increased. Their high-end cabinet where they display these have gone from being a small shelf (that maybe 2 years back did not have a single bottle of PVW or BTAC on it) to a sizable display (with perhaps a couple of dozen of these bottles sitting around the whole year).

Hey, you could be right; but, my experience is that seeing a few "on display" is because some retailers don't actually sell those or bottles... or even want to, as long as they are selling what they do want to sell.   I believe many retailers consider those displays a badge of exclusivity and status, therefor intentionally don't all their bottles.   

Of course individual markets will vary; but, in my area very few such displays exist, and the retailers that get significant allotments of the BTAC and other LE's sell all of 'em before they ever hit shelves.   ...At whatever prices they can get; often well above MSRP.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.