BOTM 3/09: Willett Single Barrel

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This month we're not looking so much at a single bourbon, but rather a wide range of single barrel bourbons, each as distinct as the people who select them. I'm talking of course about the Willett line of Single Barrel Bourbon bottlings. This idea, conceived by the Kulsveens at Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, allows groups and individuals the opportunity to purchase the contents of one or more barrels and have them bottled privately using the Willett name. While the concept of private barrel selection and sales is nothing new, many on this site have participated in such a venture, Willett is the first brand known to be dedicated solely to this purpose. Right now I'm enjoying a pour of 16yo, 135.2 proof from Barrel number 3705, Distilled on 11/18/1991, selected by our friend Dave Gonano. Caramel, Leather, vanilla and oak characterize this lovely bourbon whiskey. Thanks again Dave!

So share with the board your favorite bottling of Willett Family Reserve!

:893drillsergeant-thSound off:893drillsergeant-th

I'm taken by the newest Willett offerings. I've only had the Willett 7yr from Toddy's and just got my shipment of the 16 yr (mine's only 122 proof), but the difference brings up a question. I noticed the 16yr came with white wax. I was under the mistaken impression that they used the white wax for rye bottlings. Is there any rhyme or reason to their bottling proceedures?

By the way... I am a huge fan of the 7yr. At $40/ bottle I think it is one of the best buys on the market.

I'm still waiting to try the 12 yr. Maybe I'll make it down to "Bourbon" to try the whole lineup in a "flight" to really do a fair tasting comparison.

This month we're not looking so much at a single bourbon, but rather a wide range of single barrel bourbons, each as distinct as the people who select them. I'm talking of course about the Willett line of Single Barrel Bourbon bottlings. This idea, conceived by the Kulsveens at Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, allows groups and individuals the opportunity to purchase the contents of one or more barrels and have them bottled privately using the Willett name. While the concept of private barrel selection and sales is nothing new, many on this site have participated in such a venture, Willett is the first brand known to be dedicated solely to this purpose. Right now I'm enjoying a pour of 16yo, 135.2 proof from Barrel number 3705, Distilled on 11/18/1991, selected by our friend Dave Gonano. Caramel, Leather, vanilla and oak characterize this lovely bourbon whiskey. Thanks again Dave!

So share with the board your favorite bottling of Willett Family Reserve!

:893drillsergeant-thSound off:893drillsergeant-th

Jeff,

Just saw Dave today and discussed that very bottling. He was kind enough to share it a couple weeks ago and it's really fantastic.

I'm taken by the newest Willett offerings. I've only had the Willett 7yr from Toddy's and just got my shipment of the 16 yr (mine's only 122 proof), but the difference brings up a question. I noticed the 16yr came with white wax. I was under the mistaken impression that they used the white wax for rye bottlings. Is there any rhyme or reason to their bottling proceedures?

By the way... I am a huge fan of the 7yr. At $40/ bottle I think it is one of the best buys on the market.

I'm still waiting to try the 12 yr. Maybe I'll make it down to "Bourbon" to try the whole lineup in a "flight" to really do a fair tasting comparison.

My understanding is the wax color is a personal choice and not decided by KBD.

I cracked open one of mine tonight March '92 barrel 7789 122.2 proof.

This has a really long burn. I mean really long. Not overwhealming like GTS, in fact I was a little suprized that it didn't burn more, but it just kept going :bigeyes:

I'll admit that I am a relative novice, so you'll forgive my amateur tasting notes.

It is very sweet on first taste. A lot of caramel/toffee overtones. As it opens up it, those flavors tend to settle back into brown sugar. There may be a hint of clove in the background or maybe cinnimon, but the brown sugar flavor dominates. I also had a slight cherry scent as an afterthought.

I'll stash one of these fo a long hold in the bunker. I like it!

I had a bottle of the 7 year a couple of months back. Not bad but not too remarkable of the ~$40 it cost. I don't remember where it was from or any lot info. Definatly sounds like I need to find a bottle of the 16 YO

Not to pick an argument, but I'd like to discuss how Willett comes across these barrells. It is my understanding that they are only a label and not a distiller, so in theory the same bourbon is sitting under a different label on a different part of the shelf.

Help a naive newb through this!:skep:

"Willett" is a brand owned by Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd., an independent bottler of bourbon based in Bardstown, KY. KBD blends and bottles several brands for themselves (including Johnny Drum, Old Bardstown, Pure Kentucky, Noah's Mill, and Rowan's Creek) and others.

KBD offers the cream-colored Willett label to distributors and retailers who wish to bottle single barrels from KBD's stock (which is acquired via contracts with bourbon distillers) by themselves. Most of these bottlings are done uncut and un-chillfiltered, although my company (Ledroit Brands, a Washington, DC-based wholesaler) does do an occasional young barrel at 94 proof, primarily for on-premise purposes. Ledroit also markets KBD's brands in DC.

Each Willett bottling is unique and reflects the tastes and strategy of the entity selecting the particular barrel. All of the cask-strength bottlings that my company does are given a silly name (which is printed in the "Selected For" line on the back label), which helps us keep the bottlings straight more easily than using a barrel number. To my knowledge, most other entities that buy barrels do not use such a mnemonic approach, but I don't know for sure.

I'm with TN...both of Doug's first two barrels were exemplary. Not to mention that, if it weren't for Mr. Doug's resourcefulness in arranging for those barrels, a lot of the bottlings after them would never have happened. I thus nominate him for Bourbon Enabler of the Century!

I agree. I have both of Doug's ryes and the first two bottlings from LeNell. There are no better ryes in existance IMO.

Joe :usflag:

I'm in California and would like to get a bottle of the 16 yo. Where can I get some or who can I talk too?

I'm in California and would like to get a bottle of the 16 yo. Where can I get some or who can I talk too?

:searching: I've seen the 17yo in Pasadena (and Menlo Park) - quite a bit more expensive though...

I've been drinking the excellent Willett bottling with the silver wax done by the Bourbon Society. Here's the particulars:

7 y/o

122.2 pf

Lot# 01C12

Distilled 3/12/01, bottled 2008

Barrel #8219

Btl 65/176

It tastes pretty mature for a 7 year old. Some wood and vanilla, but intense toffee is what you pick up right away. I also noticed some fruit that took me awhile to identify: bananas. It's weird but I get banana after the initial toffee burst. Some maple on the nose and woodiness on the finish that I like.

The only off-note is the alcohol is pretty pronounced at first, so it's best to let it sit a bit first. It may have been the alcohol, but I also noticed a medicinal quality. I'll have to go back again to see if that's still there.

Overall, an excellent choice. Not super-unique, but different enough to be interesting.

• 8 months later...

I would like to tase one of their products but unfortunately it is not available overhere.There was a bottle of Lone Oak offered the other day. That is also one of their products , right? But i could not find any info on that bottle except for for a listing between the KBD products http://nationalbourbonleague.net/Distilleries.htm#Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd. (KBD)

I would like to tase one of their products but unfortunately it is not available overhere.There was a bottle of Lone Oak offered the other day. That is also one of their products , right? But i could not find any info on that bottle except for for a listing between the KBD products http://nationalbourbonleague.net/Distilleries.htm#Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd. (KBD)

• 3 weeks later...

how ab out new york? the only version i've seen are the pot still bottles, and sadly, LeNell is long gone.

how ab out new york? the only version i've seen are the pot still bottles, and sadly, LeNell is long gone.

Take matters into your own hands: make friends with a liquor store owner, do the legwork for organizing a barrel, and make it happen.

That's how Willett started.

Roger

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.