Grilled steak and...

Luna56
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I enjoy a drink before dinner, but with that steak I would want a good, full-bodied red wine. A nice Chateauneuf du Pape would be wonderful. Or a Bordeaux or Bordeaux-style wine.

Tim

I largely agree here -- though, in my case, the preference would be for a mid-range Aussie Shiraz, because of the peppery finish (though I've no doubt Tim is absolutely correct, and a Chateauneuf du Pape -- absent from my racks currently -- would be splendid).

Of course, any steak would be marinaded in whiskey, et al, before grilling:rolleyes: .

Hey Luna - I'm going to grill a beef tenderloin Friday after work for a tasting I'm hosting Friday night. I usually drink beer (start with an Abita Purple Haze then onto Shiner Bock) while grilling and eating and then something like Lot B afterwards.

During football season, the wife and I found a prepackaged beef tenderloin that was easy for grillin' on the portable propane grill while tailgating. I've since tried them on the big daddy charcoal grill at home with success. Quick or no prep time is a plus when you're away from home or in a rush. Anyhow, I'll be serving the tenderloin sliced with dinner rolls and horseradish sauce and pretzels for snacking and cleaning the palate. We'll see how it goes with the bourbons.

Most of the time I enjoy the prep work. Sometimes a little fresh squeezed lime and oregano adds a pop to steak. Can't add the lime too early though. Always lots of fresh ground black pepper.

Sounds great, let us know how it turns out.

I'm firing up the grill on Sunday, can't wait. Gotta get my chops up ;) for my buddy's visit next weekend.

Plenty of oak and hickory to burn, I'll have some strong drink on hand as well.

My current bottle of ERSB would be fantastic with grilled beef, but I don't think it's gonna last that long.

Cheers!

Drizzle some olive oil on trimmed asparagus, salt and pepper. Grill those while your steak rests. They don't take long at all.

Well, I hauled out the grill tonight and did up a couple of nice, fat Delmonicos over some hickory. I usually add an ounce or so of good bourbon to the thick cut sauteed mushrooms that accompany nearly every steak I cook, so I kept some in reserve to taste with my "test piece" of steak. The verdict: Good bourbon and grilled steak are a truly stellar pairing. I normally like a slightly hoppy beer with a steak, as the subtle edge of the beer complements the richness of the meat and fat. The bourbon, however, brings a sense of depth and definition to the "char," which highlights all the other flavors in the steak.

Wine accompaniments to steak are usually big and bold, with a tannic edge to cut through the fat. The tannins in bourbon perform the same function, but the corn adds much more to the textural experience, in my opinion. And, big surprise, the high proof enhances, rather than destroys or masks the flavor of the steak.

I could go on and on, and probably will at some point, but let me again state unequivocally: Bourbon and grilled steak are a perfect marriage. If you've had trepidation or misgivings before, toss them aside this spring/summer and try it, just once. You'll thank me, as I now thank those here who emboldened me with their encouragement.

Cheers!

Agreed! The grilled beef tenderloin was a big hit with the guests at my tasting on Friday night.

Unfortunately, I got only a couple of bites in before we started on the bourbons. I spent all my time between work and the tasting preparing. Lesson learned for next time.

Well, I hauled out the grill tonight and did up a couple of nice, fat Delmonicos over some hickory. I usually add an ounce or so of good bourbon to the thick cut sauteed mushrooms that accompany nearly every steak I cook, so I kept some in reserve to taste with my "test piece" of steak. The verdict: Good bourbon and grilled steak are a truly stellar pairing. I normally like a slightly hoppy beer with a steak, as the subtle edge of the beer complements the richness of the meat and fat. The bourbon, however, brings a sense of depth and definition to the "char," which highlights all the other flavors in the steak.

Wine accompaniments to steak are usually big and bold, with a tannic edge to cut through the fat. The tannins in bourbon perform the same function, but the corn adds much more to the textural experience, in my opinion. And, big surprise, the high proof enhances, rather than destroys or masks the flavor of the steak.

I could go on and on, and probably will at some point, but let me again state unequivocally: Bourbon and grilled steak are a perfect marriage. If you've had trepidation or misgivings before, toss them aside this spring/summer and try it, just once. You'll thank me, as I now thank those here who emboldened me with their encouragement.

Cheers!

I'm glad you found it to be a wonderfully combination. "depth and definition to the "char," which highlights all the other flavors in the steak. Well put. And the "tannins in bourbon perform the same function", I couldn't agree more.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I hauled out the grill tonight and did up a couple of nice, fat Delmonicos over some hickory.

Which steak cut do you mean when you say "Delmonicos"? Depending on where you live, which butcher you use, etc. it could mean different things. To me, it means a ribeye. But I've seen it used to refer to a strip loin (NY strip).

Wikipedia says it is also used to refer to a T-bone, and that there are 8 different cuts of meat that have been called a Delmonico at one time or another.

Definitely not a NY strip, more like (and may actually be) a ribeye. I'll ask the butcher next time I'm in there.

Great to have an old school butcher shop nearby. We normally get our meat and poultry from a local farm, but the cutting is rather subpar. Excellent quality, though, almost as good as the meat one gets in Europe.

I like supporting the old school butcher shop so I try to go in there at least a couple times a year and throw down large for something nice. They take real pride in their work there, and I appreciate it.

Cheers!

It's indeed a Ribeye, and they are far different from NY Strips.

It is so very hard to find a butcher shop.

Tonight: big pork shoulder steaks over hickory, cooling as I type. My wife brought home a fresh bottle of ERSB, just excellent grilling company.

Big grilling secret: soak a few handfulls of chips in bourbon and throw them on the coals just before you sear the meat. They will flame up like crazy, but if you shut the lid and don't kill the flame completely... blissful char.

I've had too much bourbon already tonight and I know there's at least one more fat pour in store for me before the night is through. I feel gooooooood!!

Fresh air, fresh smoke, grouse drumming in the woods, sweet breeze through the trees, life just can't get much better.

Cheers!

Too rainy to grill outdoors tonight, so I did up a small but thick London Broil inside. I'll spare you the preparation details, but I tried it with a nice pour of ERSB. It was fantastic, but without the hickory smoke and char, the bourbon came close to overpowering the steak. The combination is still wonderful, but wood fire plus bourbon is the undisputed king around here.

The big star of the evening was the thick cut mushrooms, suitably spiced and sauteed in a whole lot of butter and about three ounces of ERSB. This time I added the bourbon while the mushrooms were still a little white and it made a big difference. The shrooms absorbed the butter and bourbon in a big way. Along with a little bit of sea salt, fresh pepper and a few other things, they were just unreal.

Steak, mushrooms and bourbon together; I guess there's something in that combo that makes me rave a little:grin: Hope you guys will try it and tell me what you think.

Cheers!

Definitely not a NY strip, more like (and may actually be) a ribeye. I'll ask the butcher next time I'm in there.

Great to have an old school butcher shop nearby. We normally get our meat and poultry from a local farm, but the cutting is rather subpar. Excellent quality, though, almost as good as the meat one gets in Europe.

I like supporting the old school butcher shop so I try to go in there at least a couple times a year and throw down large for something nice. They take real pride in their work there, and I appreciate it.

Cheers!

I agree... get out and (regularly) support your local butcher! If all you've been exposed to is plastic-trayed-and-wrapped grocery store meat, you'll be amazed.

I'm fortunate, I drive right by a quality butcher shop on my way home from work. They all know me by my name there.

What really surprises my though, is how many people that shop there don't know the first thing about selecting a good steak.

All the long term counter help know what I like and will frequently go down in the tray to get a steak that I will really like.

Will

Looks like a good weekend for grillin' in Michigan - it's about time. I'm fortunate - I buy most of my beef from my cousin in Indiana. Small herd, mostly pasture fed. I believe the one in the freezer now was named Leo...

Craig

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.