Jacob's Well/Comments

hollywood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Normal or not, when purchasing a new bottle/brand I enjoy hearing comments from fellow whiskey enthusiasts before tasting myself. I "cut my teeth" early on with Jim Beam, but honestly have moved on to much different things over the years. ie: Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Woodford, etc. My topic is a bottle of Jacob's Well I have purchased. Please give me your thoughts/opinions. For those who aren't familiar with it: A dark honey-like appearance claiming 84 mos. old and 84 proof as well. It gives a batch number, and also states the contents are married together with select barrels and then re-barreled in the same casks for continued aging. Let me know what you think. Thanks, H'wood

I personally like Jacobs Well. I found it several years ago while in Las Vegas. As of last heard, they stopped making it but comparing it to beam white label and other bourbons around its price range (I paid $10) it was an ok drink. I enjoy my Rare Breed, Bookers, and (can't wait) George T. Stagg, but sometimes I still find myself pouring a little Jacobs Well for a pleasant lighter change.

Hey!, how about a little help? Seriously fellows, ie: Jacob's Well/Comments, I have received a bottle of this Jacob's Well (Beam Product). I have a collection of Single Barrel/Small Batch Whiskies, and enjoy hearing from others on their experiences concerning certain bottlings/brands. Is this pour that bad?, or just not worth talking about! Thanks for any help! H'wood cool.gif

I can't say about how bad or good it is. It wasn't a original member of the small batch collection and they stopped making it . If I find a bottle I may buy it at some point. I think generally it wasn't well received.

BC, Thanks I hope to hear more. I have over two dozen unopened Single Barrel/Small Batch Stuff I hope to get some feed back on! Some I have tasted, some not. I hope to try my Jefferson Reserve, WL Weller 19yo, and Evan Williams Single Barrel soon. Thanks again, H'wood cool.gif

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Eric I don't think Jacob's well was good, but I don't think it was bad either. I bought it when it first came out and never bought another. Even when the Virginia ABC stores had it on a close out sale I didn't buy one. There just wasn't anything special about it. Drinkable, but bland. From what I could tell it was just Jim Beam 'white label' in a different bottle with a higher price. It was the 'hangtag' that said it was a 'micro-batch bourbon' that really gripped my bourbonic balls. Those marketing dudes in Deerfield are so smug and think everyone else is sooooooo stupid. The fact is they failed, and we are much much smarter than they are. Tell me Chuck - Am I right? confused.gif

Linn, Thanks, A buddy of mine knowing my passion for whiskey and the single barrel stuff got caught up in the "micro-batch" theme as well. I have had some positive feed back from some acquintances of mine, but I don't know that there level of expertise of whiskey is in depth as I would find here. I'm anxious to here more on the Jacob's Well, as well as some other Singles/Smalls that I will inquire about later. Thanks again, H'wood cool.gif

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

You're welcome Eric! One of the very best things about this forum is that we don't suck up to any whiskey rag or writer. We feel that the best way to know a lot about bourbon is to drink a lot bourbon! {Blee!} We also go to Kentucky and talk to the fine folks that make our bourbons. Some things they'll tell us and some things they won't. Some of it is real honest information and some of it is sugar coated dis-information. It's up to us to discern which is which. wink.gif

Hollywood, it sounds like you have a pretty good stash , you will enjoy them no doubt , some more than others. Like Linn was saying this group generally is not beholding to anything but good Bourbon , whether it comes in a fifty dollar bottle or six. And just because it's fifty and in a fancy bottle , if it won't hold up to Barton BIB we'll say so . There is a lot of disinformation and ignorance out there and each of us in our own way try at times to disspell what we can of it. Not that we're a bunch of rocket scientists when it comes to bourbon . ( Good One) ( If I may...) We just know which end of the bottle to dip in wax. I think, hell I know , the days of putting shit in a bottle saying it's good and charging $$$$$$ for it are over . They no doubt will try it but it won't fly here. There was a fellow I was going to invite to the cookout, he has a friend who sells liquor for one of the wholesalers. I told him what was up and asked if he liked Bourbon , he said Hell yeah I drink that Crown Royal........ I think I said yeah that's good stuff and changed the subject. wink.gif

BC, Thanks, and yes I have a wonderful stash! I appreciate your feedback. I liked your comment about the Crown Royal and "the like". I've said if its made "North of the Border",-I don't drink it! laugh.gifgrin.gif

I recall that when Jacob's Well came out, most people thought it was "pretty good." I never had any complaints about the product itself. I thought it was a pretty good bourbon, perhaps better than most.

I did, however, object to the whole "micro-bourbon" thing as being stupidly phony. I was doing some marketing work for Beam at the time and was involved in some Jacob's Well meetings. I voiced my objections then and have been unwelcome at Beam ever since. The fact that Jacob's Well bombed was small consolation.

CC, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm obviously not privy to any of those discussions with the Beam folks, but its a shame. I will say (for me) that Beam was one of the first bourbons that I drank regularly, and you knew what you were getting. (as far as the Beam White Label) Not great, but for the money it wasn't bad. I prefer now to "bite the bullet", and spend the money for what I like and enjoy it more! There is just too many "quality" bourbons out there to waste your time with something you really don't enjoy. Thanks, H'wood cool.gif

Yep, on this forum we cut through the BS faster than you would believe, sometimes its scary. If its honesty you want, you have come to the right place!

Tom (Honest John) C

Gentleman, I had my opportunity to try the Jacob's Well I was wishing to discuss. The jury is still out with a few things. Its not bad, but again there are some tastes I am not sure about. I do know its not in the class of Woodford, Rare Breed, etc.. but for me not much is. Anyway, I enjoyed what I drank, but not near as much as some. I'll comment more as I finish the bottle. Thanks, H'wood cool.gif

In the end what you think matters most. How much better would life be if we could find a 10 dollar pour and never be convinced there is anything better? Much to our loss it doesn't work like that . I tried a little Fighting Cock and was supprized to find that I enjoyed it. VanWinkle it is not , but it still isn't as bad as I had convinced myself to think it was after reading comments on it from time to time. I may use it as a rite of passage Bourbon. It has a nice label. I can see it now , I'll pull it out and declare that it is the finest whiskey I have ever had , gesturing and waving my hands about , see all these whiskies here, none are as good as this! ( And if someone pours coke in it , Who cares?) grin.gif

BC, Ahhh, such a way with words! I enjoyed listening to your feelings. A nice perspective I might add! I enjoy drinking the finest most of the time, but its nice to know that there are decent pours to go to on an affordable basis as well. And as many have probably heard me say, liquor here in Alabama is some of the highest. No matter what your bank account allows--its nice to have an "inexpensive" go to. wink.gif Thanks again, H'wood cool.gif

Noooo Bobby, resist yur urge to succumb to the dark side. The Force is strong with you. I for one, value hearing your honest opinion. It was only a couple of years ago that I would have been one of the people dumping Coke in that glass. tongue.gif 'Cept for Fighting Cock, everyone has to draw the line somewhere grin.gif )

Beej

Beej, I don't know about Coke, but in a former life, I have been known to knock back seeeeveral high-balls! Something about that G-ale! As you said, nooooo more though! See ya, H'wood cool.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.