Region and Taste

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/science/sciencenews/5570009/Why-taste-is-as-regional-as-dialect.html

Why taste is as regional as dialect

Taste is as regional as dialect, a Nottingham university study has shown.

"Prof Taylor said: "Taste is determined by our genetic make-up and influenced by our upbringing and experience with flavours."

If true for Great Britain it would be true for the U.S....though our population is more diverse and scattered across regions.

I suppose the same applies to the appeal of various liqours/wines/beer/whiskey etc.

If you look at our immigration patterns....Scots/Irish/English/Welsh in particular for the KY / TN areas....these results pop up for the native populations:

"Scots like rich, creamy foods that are comforting and linger on the palate."

"Wales....Onions and leeks are a hit, as is Worcestershire Sauce."

Re English...see the regional differences. Ireland was not covered.

Southern food and drink ....bourbon...may indeed be influenced.

I have only an infinitesimal bit of Scottish blood as part of my Irish half, but I love rich creamy foods, fatty meats etc.

The difference in how people like their vegetables is of interest to me. I like most veggies thoroughly cooked. if you can't mash 'em up with a fork, they ain't done. I prefer a stew with a rich broth to a stir fry any day. I think the types of dishes I like and the way I like them cooked is referred to as colonial style.

I like the tannins in tea and bourbon/rye which, I think, is part of the reason I like red wine and not white.

I believe that I am of Scottish descent and I also love rich, creamy foods. Especially mayonnaise! :cool:

Of course, there are other nationalities in my bloodline, especially English.

Tim

Most Americans are an incredible mixture...so whatever comes to the fore must be a dominant trait from who knows where in ones background....however....this assumes the research is valid. It is interesting that a study of Great Britain yielded fairly strong regional variations that seemed to link differences in dialect with differences in taste.

Maybe micro differences...Highland and Lowland differences to account for differences in Scotch...and the Irish preference for no or less peated whiskey etc.....beer styles are another possible indicator...comparing styles to regions / dialects may also lend creedance to the study. German PA farmers and rye vs Scots Irish settlers and corn? Maybe the growing environment was not the only reason for favoring one over the other.

Per Wiki the chili was developed by Greek / Macedonian immigrants, especially a "Nicholas Lambrinides, who emigrated to the city from Kastoria, Greece" who opened Skyline Chili.

Not sure if the recipe reflects the theory above...Wiki:

"The top 5 largest ancestries include German (19.8%), Irish (10.4%), English (5.4%), Italian (3.3%)."

• 1 month later...
At last, a possible explanation for "Cincinnati chili".

Oh man, I love that stuff! I'm predominantly German and English, with a little Welsh and Swedish thrown in, according to my mother. I tend to like rich, creamy foods also... which goes against the German and English that I supposedly am. :lol:

I guess the the old adage... "there is no accounting for taste" holds true with me.:cool:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.