Armagnac recommendations please?

jpact
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Can anyone help me out with a recommendation or two for some good Armagnac that should be readily available in the US market? I'd like to buy a gift for a bourbon drinker. We've dabbled a bit in the cognac/armagnac arena, but don't have any brand knowledge. I'm lookiing for value, so price isn't important on its own but must be commensurate with quality. If I go into the liquor store blind I'll probably grab an XO or Hors d'age, but if you love a particular VSOP let me know. Thanks in advance. -Jim

For armagnac I like Château de Laubade.

They have a VSOP, but I really liked their 1967! ;)

I've had both the Delord XO 15 and Tariquet VSOP and found them both to be very complex and enjoyable pours.

Marie Duffau Napoleon Armagnac is quite good and is available in Pennsylvania for about $32.

Can anyone help me out with a recommendation or two for some good Armagnac that should be readily available in the US market? I'd like to buy a gift for a bourbon drinker. We've dabbled a bit in the cognac/armagnac arena, but don't have any brand knowledge. I'm lookiing for value, so price isn't important on its own but must be commensurate with quality. If I go into the liquor store blind I'll probably grab an XO or Hors d'age, but if you love a particular VSOP let me know. Thanks in advance. -Jim

I like Larressingle VSOP. A little rough around the edges, but definitely not easily-mistaken for Cognac.

Nothing a bourbon drinker can't handle.

Chateau de Briat...Hors D'Age, Tariquet 1985, or The Delord X.O. would all be nice.

I stopped int he store last night and of everything listed so far I only saw a Tariquet. It was a cask strength (55%) 8-year old for around $55-60 I think, but didn't say VSOP on the label anywhere. Is this one in the same?

Edit: Oh yeah, I did see Larressingle VSOP as well.

I stopped int he store last night and of everything listed so far I only saw a Tariquet. It was a cask strength (55%) 8-year old for around $55-60 I think, but didn't say VSOP on the label anywhere. Is this one in the same?

Edit: Oh yeah, I did see Larressingle VSOP as well.

What did it say on the label? I've liked all the Tariquet I've been able to taste.

I was recently lured into purchasing a bottle of 1996 Darroze Bas-Armagnac Dupont at the princely sum of $99. I pulled the trigger despite the price because I was quite excited about it being cask strength (51.1% ABV), single barrel, non-filtered, and non-colored! In my very limited brandy expereinece, specs like these are quite rare! Sounds like some of our best American whiskeys no? :)

Nevertheless, I was a little let down. I was and still am impressed with the "specs" but it was still a little too hot and feisty for me. The only thing I can think of is that at only 11 years old (I saw "only" because that is somewhat young for french brandies) it probably needed more time in the barrel. I know that armagnacs in general are more feisty than cognacs, but this seemed even more so compared to the few other armangacs that I have sampled.

Too bad my wallet didn't didn't let me pony up for the 15-25 year old versions from the same producer!

Ive always found the younger Armagnacs to be a bit hot. The ones 20-30 years old are something special and 30+ year olds are world class.

In my limited experience with armagnac I haven't found it to be any "hotter" than cognac. I have found, however, that regardless of the proof, cognacs and armagnacs benefit greatly by time in the glass. Especially when the pour is constantly warmed by your hand. Swirl, sniff, sip. When it is about the same temperature as your body, it's a whole 'nother thing.

Armagnac and cognac, as I'm sure most know, are not that different from one another, the primary difference being the region in which they're produced (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Cheers!

Both distilled from grapes, but some different regions and number of distillations 1 for Arm and 2 for cognac.

Hidden

Both distilled from grapes, but some different regions and number of distillations 1 for Arm and 2 for cognac.

I'm not sure about this but I was under the impression that Armagnac used charred oak barrels and Cognac used un-charred barrels. Explaining the relatively richer smokey character of Armagnac.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.