Which Bourbon with Roadkill?

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2009/20090728183251.aspx

'Green Anarchist' Trumpets 'Roadkill' Diet to Save Mother Earth

Scavenging for dead animals killed by the 'car culture' described as the more 'ecological choice.'

By Jeff Poor

Business & Media Institute

7/28/2009 6:39:34 PM

If forced it would have to be a mouth numbing high proofer like G.T. Stagg or Parker's Heritage to choke it down.....if fresh roadkill...venison..maybe ok...but if skunk, opposum, coyote, frogs, turtles.....high proof.

"Katz made the case for roadkill to be part of a diet in the name of sustainability, noting millions of roadkill casualties litter the nation’s roads annually. His July 28 opinion piece saying “It's Fresh, It's Organic, It's Free”

Freegan is the term.....well, knock yourself out I say.

Do Freegans drink whiskey?

Very good Cas!

Some old brands...Old Possum Hollow Whiskey

Or Skunk Butt Bourbon Whiskey

I believe I might have had some of the skunk butt once. Fortunately I don't remember it all that well...

Craig

All responses of folk that have never appreciated the subtle flavors of sunbaked Roadkill.

I would go with a Possum or Wild Turkey based Hunter's Stew with Rock Hill Farms added early in the marinade and then later in the thickening of the gravy.

Served over thick egg noodles with a tall Maker's and Water with Ice (Tall and Cool as we say)

You'd have to finish with a Bourbon Paw Paw Cobbler with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream.

I'm thinking about heading to the backroads right now.

Old Crow, I suppose.

Craig

:slappin: Nice Cas.

Old Crow, Wild Turkey, or some of Dane's Dr. Funkenstein, or whatever he called it. :skep: Joe

I've eaten plenty of roadkill. Mostly pheasants I've hit and dear meat that a friend of mine would get from other motorists. I think he had been put on a list of people that the ILL state police or the DOT would call if someone would hit a dear and that person didn't want it.

The problem with roadkill is that there is usually a lot of bruised/ bloodshot meat. I wouldn't go around looking for roadkill. You don't know how long it has laid there or if it was sick when it was hit. This is sort of like the axiom, don't shoot a rabbit unless it runs. Hmm, I wonder if these activist types ever had their Dad tell them that one.

What bourbon goes well with bruised meat? OGD 114, perhaps. Though I've never paired a whiskey with pheasant or quail, I'm thinking I'd go Irish, on the rocks with a splash of water.

• 3 months later...

Time to get serious. Some states (Texas for one) don't allow you to keep road kill, they'd rather waste it. Road kill is good if it's fresh. If the deer is still warm and limber and hasn't been run over with an 18 wheeler ("Squished"), it's good. When you process it, skin it without opening the pouch, take off the back strap, shoulders, and hams, and carry the carcass into the woods for the coyotes. Any bruised meat I cut off for the dogs, just like if it had been hit with a 30.06 instead of a car. I've got a couple of shoulders off a fresh killed buck in the freezer that I'm going to make into some jerky after The holidays. If I get any roadkill, I'll make some from it as well and take them to the sampler. For those of you who are squeamish, I'll tell you which sack has which so you won't have to eat the road kill. For those of you willing to try it, I'll bet you can't pick out which sack is make with road kill. Actually Bernadette doesn't want me to go hunting any more this year. We just finished processing a doe today and we are running out of room in the freezers (I said to her "aren't we lucky!"). She may balk if I bring back some road kill, maybe I'll bum some from one of my neighbors.

Back to the topic, any bourbon that you would drink with game killed with a firearm or bow.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.