Bourbon ? am I out of my league?

WEG3
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ok I have just openned a bottle of Makers Mark 90 proof ....and was shocked tongue.gifcrazy.gif could some please explain the different's in how the was made as to some thing like Ezra B. or Evan Williams ? confused.gif I guess this only proves that I have been drinking something I know nothing about ...

Thank You for your help .

Bill G.

Bill,

Some here will disagree, but IMHO MM is one of the finest bourbons around. To super simplify it, Makers Mark is made with a mashbill that includes red winter wheat in place of the more common rye. The company line is that the wheat makes for a smoother taste and finish. I don't know about that, as I favor several high-rye bourbons for a smoother finish, but the wheat certainly adds a different dimension. The great thing about "bourbon" is that it is just a name with a set of guidlines. What's really in the bottle is anyones guess and the only way to find out is to try as many as possible.

P.S. No you're not out of your league. Your just at the beginning of a long and fruitful journey.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

The great thing about "bourbon" is that it is just a name with a set of guidlines. What's really in the bottle is anyones guess and the only way to find out is to try as many as possible.

Well I had a bottle of EB 90 on hand so I openned that to , finish is not as sharp as the MM....I guess I have long learning cure ahead of me....

Bill G.

Except for one thing ....after 4 shots I am blizted , very low tolerance ...enjoy the taste but the mornn' after is a bottle of asperin.... frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Bill cheap date

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Well Bill I take it by the emoticons you posted that you weren't exactly thrilled with Maker's Mark. My advise would be to cork it up and set it back on the shelf for awhile. As you taste bourbons that are new (to you) you will begin to see a trend of styles and ages that are most pleasing to you, and that's all that counts. After a bit of time you will want to revisit some of the bourbons that you mightn't have liked at first. Once you know more about bourbon and educate your palate you may find a new appreciation for those brands that turned you off at first.

Take some time and read through the tastings that have been posted. If you have a bottle of the subject bourbon on hand read and taste along with the review. If you have any questions about that particular bourbon go a head and reply to that thread as a new reply will 'bump' the thread to the top of the index no matter how old it is. Someone here will be able to answer your question or at the very least point you in the right direction.

Water and Vitamin C, my man. . . . . . . . .Lots Of Water and vitamin C crazy.gifcrazy.gifgrin.gif !

Tom (does not dig hangovers) C

PS If it helps you any I am a lightweight for this board (just ask Linn), I average 1 1/2 oz every other day. . . . .

Experiencing bourbon fully can take years sometimes. As Linn suggested, just put it back on the shelf and come back to it later (i.e., weeks or months, not years!).

More advice - this group here is dangerous. They will have you trying all sorts of bourbons. Just make sure you have the money to get through it all! They have bumped me from my 2 or 3 open bottles to now 17! Plus, I have five bottles in storage as backup. Lord, have mercy.

But, if you are a casual drinker, you are still very welcome here. We take any and all questions and everyone's opinion is respected, novice and expert alike. This is the most mellow and polite group I have chatted with on the Internet.

One last piece of advice. Don't mention the S word except in that dark corner of this discussion board where we tried to hide it in the Foreign Whiskey forum. :-)

Chuck, At the end of your post you said not to mention the (S) word. Was that Sh*t or Sc**tch?, Oh..What a minute....they're one in the same! grin.giflaugh.gif See ya, H'wood cool.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

They have bumped me from my 2 or 3 open bottles to now 17! Plus

Amen brother. When I first came on to this site I had only an open bottle of Maker's Mark to my name. Now I have a collection of about 15 open bottles and 2 in reserve (Birthday Bourbon and Stagg) grin.gif

So is the Stagg in? I thought I read earlier tonight that it was delayed to 12/15.

I already have a call into my sister in L'ville to call a store and reserve a bottle. She's supposed to call me later tonight.

Stagg became available on 11/27/2002. Bobby has seen it on the shelf somewhere, but I have yet to here in Lexington. I had 2 bottle special ordered in by Liquor Barn that I picked up last friday. Start looking or have your favorite liquor store order some in. But hurry as supplies already appear to be dwindling. frown.gif

I just spoke to my sister. I said, call, call, call around and get me three bottles. (I see her again at Xmas in WV.)

Wish me luck!

My feeling about Maker's Mark is that one person's "smooth" is another's "bland." MM is inoffensive to most tastes, but not particularly challenging or interesting. That's not a rap. I would rate MM as good, not great. I consider several other brands to be as good, for less money. In particular, the basic WL Weller or Old Fitzgerald expressions, which also use wheat instead of rye.

Actually...The combo is water, vitamin C AND a Vitamin B complex, plus aspirin. (No tylenol, ever! Likker + Tylenol(acetometaphin) = bad combo)

Remember, when you're tasting bourbon, nobody insists that you pour 3 oz from each bottle. We only insist on 3 oz. pours when we come over to visit you with our designated driver. wink.gif

Well I did something today that I have never done before , I tryed it again , ........ I must of had a dirty glass or something , on second time around and a new day I have found MM not as shocking or as bad as I first posted , ,,, I will not be in a hurry to switch over to it as my favorate as of yet but on the other hand it will not be poured on the steak before cooking or better yet given to a couple of scotch drinkers when I may want them to leave in a hurry .......lol

Thank You ,all .. I will keep reading ,and stock pile more bottles ....

Bill G. grin.gif

Add a Pepcid Complete to the mixture. Long and short acting stomach acid relief. I'm a firm believer in the B-Complex. You might want to add a little Zinc, since Alchohol Dehyrdrogenase and Aldehyde Dehydrogenase enzymes in the liver use Zince as a cofactor. Gets rid of that bad Acetaldehyde which causes many hangover symptoms.

I agree about the tylenol. When your liver's under stress, you don't want to add anything else that creates those nasty free radicals.

Mr. Ed,

About those nasty free radicals...does this mean I must give up my delicious potato chips before bourbon? What if I buy the organic Blue Chips, made with real corn, just like bourbon? grin.gif

Omar

Omar,

You might want to give up the chips anyway. Stay away from the ones with green spots. Definitely replace with chocolate. Bourbon just seems to go so well with chocolate. Why is that? confused.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.