Ole George's Rye

Ultra
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Grand Traverse Distillery

Ole George 100% Straight Rye Whiskey is here! Come to the distillery and preview Ole George Whiskey, 93 proof and bottled straight from the barrel, no chill filtering for our whiskey. We will post a photo of the bottle soon.

At this time we only have 3 of the 53 gallon barrels ready so we are only available at the distillery. Next year we have a dozen 53 gallon barrels aged and at this time we will go to to the Michigan and Chicago retail markets.

We are open Thursday and Friday from noon to 5PM and on Saturday from 11AM to 4PM. Come see us and tour the distillery. Ole George is ready when you are.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Traverse-City-MI/Grand-Traverse-Distillery/208013680224?ref=ts

=============================================

I am going to ride the bike over Friday and pick up a couple of bottles.

:cool:

Grand Traverse Distillery

Ole George 100% Straight Rye Whiskey is here! Come to the distillery and preview Ole George Whiskey, 93 proof and bottled straight from the barrel, no chill filtering for our whiskey. We will post a photo of the bottle soon.

At this time we only have 3 of the 53 gallon barrels ready so we are only available at the distillery. Next year we have a dozen 53 gallon barrels aged and at this time we will go to to the Michigan and Chicago retail markets.

We are open Thursday and Friday from noon to 5PM and on Saturday from 11AM to 4PM. Come see us and tour the distillery. Ole George is ready when you are.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Traverse-City-MI/Grand-Traverse-Distillery/208013680224?ref=ts

=============================================

I am going to ride the bike over Friday and pick up a couple of bottles.

:cool:

Thanks for the heads up!

Other than New Holland's Zeppelin malt whiskey, this is the first Michigan whiskey I have heard of.

Any word on what the price is?

Don't have a clue on the price. Might only be able to afford one bottle if it is much different than their Vodka in pricing structure.

I asked them on their FB page whether they distilled it themselves or bought it from somewhere else. Judging from their stills they may actually be capable of producing it. They've been making vodka for a while, so they certainly could have distilled the rye and had some time to lay it down long enough for it to become a straight.

We'll see what the response is.

I asked them on their FB page whether they distilled it themselves or bought it from somewhere else. Judging from their stills they may actually be capable of producing it. They've been making vodka for a while, so they certainly could have distilled the rye and had some time to lay it down long enough for it to become a straight.

We'll see what the response is.

Based on this blurb off of their suspended website as well as what I know about their White Dogs they distill it all themselves.

==================================

Aged Whiskey

Here at the distillery we are excited about whiskey! Whiskey has such a range of flavors and character that the possibilities are endless. Our first idea is to bring back a traditional early American whiskey, rye. Americans enjoyed rye whiskey before prohibition. Rye whiskey offers a unique flavor that is one of a kind. Early Americans did not ask for a shot of corn whiskey, they asked for a shot of rye. Corn liquor did not take off until after the repeal of prohibition. America has thousands of small distillers but the large fee placed on distilleries by the federal government after prohibition eliminated most of them. What was left were the “big boys†and corn cost less than rye.. Distilling corn for whiskey offers a much more neutral spirit vs. rye. We have gone back to the roots of American whiskey and will offer a 100% rye whiskey. We take great care in distilling our rye whiskey, and placed it into new American oak charred barrels. Here the whiskey reacts with the charred barrel and the result is a unique whiskey experience. We are looking forward to introducing these unique whiskey sometime in 2010.

We also have put up a bourbon style whiskey and are using rye as the flavor component. Corn, rye and malted barley are the grains. Corn must be the main grain to be classified bourbon. Our bourbon style whiskey is now aging in barrels. We are looking forward to introducing these unique whiskey sometime in 2011.

A 2nd straight rye whiskey is being barreled at this time. We are using blend of 60% rye and 40% corn. It will offer a different flavor profile than our first 100% rye whiskey. We are looking forward to introducing these unique whiskey sometime in 2011.

As soon as we empty our whiskey barrels we will be distilling a 100% malted barley whiskey and offer something for those who enjoy a single malt whiskey (scotch). A straight wheat whiskey will also be in the works within the year. We will keep you informed on our whiskey adventures with our newsletter so please sign up.

That is very good news, another Rye to try and a midwest one to boot. I need to go back to Traverse City...now not just for wine and beach.

This sounds very interesting give us some tasting notes and prices.

I will do that over the weekend.

63f7ce02.jpg

Old George is $48. $50.88 including the sales tax.

Old George went into the barrels Feb 2008. Only the 3 barrels from the top of the warehouse have been opened. The rest are still aging.

Ole George doesn't fool you into thinking it is a old whiskey. However, one can mistake it for older than 2 years. I have read somewhere that of all the whiskey varieties rye's can turn out well with the least amount of aging and this whiskey is a testament to that idea. It is floral and fruity with just a slight rye spice. Kind of reminded me of Yamazaki 12. Oak is there and then its gone but only a little char and smoke. Very well balanced. Lot of flavor for a 93 proof whiskey. I have won over a non whiskey drinker with it already. She commented on the floral quality, some sweetness and how smooth it was on her palate. She proceeded to have a couple glasses.

I would recommend it to anyone without reservation. A good product.

Old George is $48. $50.88 including the sales tax.

Old George went into the barrels Feb 2008. Only the 3 barrels from the top of the warehouse have been opened. The rest are still aging.

Ole George doesn't fool you into thinking it is a old whiskey. However, one can mistake it for older than 2 years. I have read somewhere that of all the whiskey varieties rye's can turn out well with the least amount of aging and this whiskey is a testament to that idea. It is floral and fruity with just a slight rye spice. Kind of reminded me of Yamazaki 12. Oak is there and then its gone but only a little char and smoke. Very well balanced. Lot of flavor for a 93 proof whiskey. I have won over a non whiskey drinker with it already. She commented on the floral quality, some sweetness and how smooth it was on her palate. She proceeded to have a couple glasses.

I would recommend it to anyone without reservation. A good product.

750 milliliters and with only about 430 left at this time.

Been to the distillery, aging some of their rye myself in a 2 liter charred cask.

The Rye is outstanding at 2 years. Lots of wintergreen, but still plenty of cinnamon and pine. It's youthful - don't be surprised by the barnyard flavors and smells - but for a "home grown" (the grain, water, & distilling is all Michigan - only the barrels come from out of state, and he's working on that...) it's pretty amazing stuff.

$50 is a bit steep, but consider it's a true "craft" whiskey, it's not too much to ask!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.