old bourbon

hopper
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

i recently uncovered a bottle of bonded bourbon with a tax stamp with the bottle date of 1942 it is old grand dad kentucky straight bourbon whiskey 4/5 of a quart can anyone help me find out more !!!!! thanks

Welcome to the site. Can you get a picture of the label on here? The current Old Granddad has a picture of Basil Hayden , who left no heirs but qualifies in someones mind as Old Granddad himself. There was a different label with a guy sitting on a barrel with 2 hammers in his hands. I don't know if 1942 is far enough back to get that or not. It is a bit of a legend in it's own right , the guy has a name, he left heirs, fine people all. It's part of their family history,it's been passed down . Real neat. They paid him 50 bucks and a bottle or 2 for posing. He was an employee of R B Hayden / Old Granddad.

Wasn't R.B. Hayden the grandson of Basil Hayden? That's how I always understood it. R.B. Hayden created the Old Grand-Dad brand in honor of his grandfather. It was R.B. who died without issue.

I'll have to check into it Chuck , Sam Cecil has R.B. hayden kicking things off in 1790@ Greenbrier Station in Nelson County, I think where I got the bit about Basil Hayden was from Gary and Mardee Regans , Book Of Bourbon.

I have it like this:

The Old Grand-Dad Distillery was built by Raymond B. Hayden and F. L. Ferriell at Hobbs Station in 1882. Another account says it was built in 1840, but that appears unlikely since Hayden would have been only 19 years old at the time. Basil Hayden, Raymond's grandfather, came to Kentucky from Maryland in 1796, settling in the country near Bardstown. Raymond's mother was Polly Dant. Raymond never married nor had children. He died in 1885. Although Hayden and Ferriell created the Old Grand-Dad brand name, it really grew to national prominence after the Wathen family acquired it.

You have it better than I did , for some reason I inverted Basil and R.B. The Dants would later become Yellowstone and the Wathens kept Old Granddad alive for many years.BTW when you were here at the cookout, we walked in my back yard and looked at my Tractor, if we had continued to the top of the hill behind my house , then dropped off the other side , we would have been at Hobbs Station , 12 miles west of Bardstown and the site for Old Grandad. There was , the last time I was up there a few concrete foundations. Sam Cecil says nothing remains , and for all purposes it is true , save those footers.

I thought we might be close. I look forward to walking over there with you next time I'm in town. Last time I was there (about ten years ago) the concrete footers were there and there was evidence of some old construction down by the spring, but that was it. Actually, if you went over now (by which I mean during winter) you might be able to find more. I assume the footers were for a rackhouse.

We have a neat way to get there as well. Somehow Ky transportation cabinet furnished some monies to Bernhiem Forest and they built a 4 mile bike/hike path from Clermont to Lotus, which are for those who haven't been here the sites for Jim Beam and Four Roses Warehouses respectively. I have been told there are plans to extend it to Bardstown. It goes right passed the Old Granddad site. Also it goes through a nursery planting of White Pines and Norway Spruce of Bernhiems and the National Christmas Tree was removed from there on 2 occasions the last time in the late 50s or early 60s , Loaded on the train ( If you Rode the Old Ky Dinner Train you were on the tracks) and shipped to Washington. grin.gif

• 1 year later...

keep us informed on that bike path 4 miles is a little short after a 120 mile drive. But Bardstown to Clermont could really get the old blood flowing good enough for a good drink afterwards rick

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.