Redemption Rye

silverfish
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Came across an item I didn't recognize at DrinkUpNY and

thought I'd ask about it here - Redemption Rye.

The Redemption website doesn't have much more information

available but I did find the following information:

"On its way is Redemption Rye, which is distilled in Indiana and

comes from Dave Schmier, the same guy would produces Orange V

orange-flavored vodka. Two things you need to know about this

rye: it's distilled from 95% rye (the legal requirement if 51%) and

its bottled at 92 proof, a good notch above typical alcohol levels.

So you have a relatively hot, spicy tipple here. What's more, Schmier

plans to come out with a Barrel Strength Bottling in July, at 120-125

proof! A single barrel rye is also on the way. The price on Redemption

isn't bad: $25.99. The Barrel Strength will be $39.99."

Anyone heard anything else?

Sounds tasty. Methinks it might taste similar to High West and Templeton.:grin:

Kudos to Redemption for being candid about their source.

Sounds tasty. Methinks it might taste similar to High West and Templeton.:grin:

Kudos to Redemption for being candid about their source.

Schmier is a marketer and promoter, not a distiller, so I don't know how "candid" they're being.

I haven't had it but a friend who has reports that it is pretty awful, very young and solvent-like. It is only two-years-old, after all. The "Indiana" tag suggests Lawrenceburg as the source, but Indiana is a big state. It's being bottled at Strong in Bardstown, which also bottles the undistinguished 80 Strong bourbon.

It smells really good, but it will cut your throat out. The rye from the angostura distillery in Indian that I have had has been good. I wonder if this is really made. The stuff is not good at all.

Schmier is a marketer and promoter, not a distiller, so I don't know how "candid" they're being.

I haven't had it but a friend who has reports that it is pretty awful, very young and solvent-like. It is only two-years-old, after all. The "Indiana" tag suggests Lawrenceburg as the source, but Indiana is a big state. It's being bottled at Strong in Bardstown, which also bottles the undistinguished 80 Strong bourbon.

It smells really good, but it will cut your throat out. The rye from the angostura distillery in Indian that I have had has been good. I wonder if this is really made. The stuff is not good at all.

Interesting. Don't think I'll be buying it any time soon then. How many whiskey distilleries are there in Indiana anyway?

Interesting. Don't think I'll be buying it any time soon then. How many whiskey distilleries are there in Indiana anyway?

As far as I know there's just the one in Lawrenceburg. There's a brandy distillery in Starlight.

Huber in Starlight has made some whiskey, though not in much quantity, so it seems unlikely that this is that. Angostura is the most likely candidate.

Tom is my friend who told me it stinks, so count that as one opinion, not two. :)

The whiskey Angostura makes is intended to be used as an ingredient in blends, not as a straight or 'single.' They may have a couple of different recipes, using different combinations of yeasts and mash bills.

Consumers like the idea of micro-spirits. They picture micro-distilleries although more often than not that's not what they're getting. Schmier is a good example of a guy who can spot trends and quickly bring a suitable product to market. His business model may not require that people buy a second bottle, as he'll be on to something else by then.

Foster's sells a bourbon in Australia made in Lawrenceburg, so they do sell other unblended stuff.

I just noticed that the origin is listed as "Lawrenceburg USA" on the Foster's Web site. That's true, but it may lead consumers to assume another bourbon-makiing Lawrenceburg a few miles south.

• 1 month later...

John Hansell has weighed in on this product and he's enthusiastically for it.

At least his review gives that impression. He only scores it as 84, which is middling considering that John's ratings rarely dip below 80. I assume that means he finds it good for what it is, but not outstanding compared to more mature whiskeys.

• 4 months later...

I finally got to taste some of this last night, and was pleasantly surprised. I was kind of surprised with the amount of fruit that was jumping in and playing with that spicey rye zing. A nice addition to the rye section.

• 1 month later...

I got a bottle of this today and it definitely has some zip to it when mixed with ginger ale!

Thomas

Good whisky is what it is no matter where made. I just refuse to pay more than what it is worth.

Given its shelf mates that are older, less expensive and IMO better I can't get excited about this rye.....

Given its shelf mates that are older, less expensive and IMO better I can't get excited about this rye.....

Given how scarce rye juice is these days, every bottle you buy at 2 years old is a bottle that won't be offered later at 4 or 6. On the other hand, one of the best rye samples I've ever tasted was a 2yo, so I'm not one to dismiss youth out of hand.

Tastes vary, I tend to favor rye mash Bourbons but I reserve the right to change that opinion.

Tasted this at a bar last night. Neat, it was very tight, very hot; dry, would be the word that came to mind. A ton of spice-essence, like a pinch of unsweetened cinnamon, and heat without much body to support it. (Not to infer that it possessed anything like a cinnamon schnapps' sweetness). I added a couple of drops of water (to a .5 oz "taster pour"), which resulted in what I'll call a "hollow" flavor profile: very top end spice with a sweet but fleeting finish. Not much in between. (Kind of like Mettalica on _...And Justice For All_, where I swear there was no bass guitar.)

The opposite of Rittenhouse BIB, which has body for days but not a ton on the edges.

Would I buy a bottle? Not so far. Would I order a full glass at a bar? Yeah, if I were feeling adventurous and wanted something neat with water back. I could imagine this making a decent Manhattan. Sweet vermouth would likely balance its shortcomings.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.