Paradigm Shift

Barrel_Proof
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If the wellspring of praise showered here upon Stagg and OF Birthday are any indication, we may--some not so many years down the road--mark the fall of 2002 as the beginning of a paradigm shift in the craft bourbon industry. Just think how far things have come since Blanton's was first shared with us all. Let us all hope that the wild success of these great limited edition bottlings from the Fall of 2002 will hasten the introduction of many more bourbons of such quality, subtlety, and distinction in the years to come. Bring 'em on, I say!

I hope that this is the case as well but have one reservation. I hope that this increase of specialty bottlings doesnt signal the death throws to some of the very fine middle shelf secrets there are in bourbonia. While I admire the wide range of tastes involved in this growth, (being working class) I also fear the slow rise toward single malt land price wise. . .

Heres to great, reasonably price bourbons!

TomC

I agree Tom, and not only bring up the price but bring in new bourbon drinkers who tend to think and act like 'single malt land' whiskey drinkers... Nontheless, this past fall has been a great one for bourbon enthusiasts, and I ultimately hope the trend continues. smile.gif

I agree. Let's hope all the hype of single m**t, isn't carried in. I'm new to bourbonia, but I found it by chance in the form of a kind Lincoln Henderson explaining his Woodford Reserve and bourbon to me at Sam's Club. It was a god send, I was kinda burnt out on single m**t and single malt snobs. But, if I have to deal with those snobs, whose golf bags I hauled during my modest teen years, because of paradigm shift!!!!! confused.gif

Well in my opinion Buffalo Trace could have gotten more for Stagg, I thank them for a reasonable price. I am noticing some price reductions at the present time , I don't know if this is to balance inventories after Christmas , or a sign of things to come.The thing we are facing in Ky now is if they lower the price a nickel it will no doubt be offset by increased tax , and that probably many times over. The supply appears to be plentiful, at least at Liquor Barn. I don't know really, how many more super premiums we can deal with . I do hope we see the continued yearly releases of Stagg And OFBB.Gary & Mardee Regan reported in the Book of Bourbon, The first release of EWSB 1986 as a one off at the time and no promise of future releases. They missed that by a stretch, but that may have been the best information at the time of writing. I think the average Bourbon drinker has more savvy than to fall in to the snobbery and blind approach that drinkers of other spirits fall to. I'm not going to pay a fat price for something because in it is in vogue at the moment. It's up to us as much as them, They can price it any where they want to, and we can buy it or walk.

I couldn't agree more Bobby. BT releases quality products at a reasonable price. This is just my opinion but I hope that with barrels they would consider using for future Stagg releases they come up with something different under a different name. Just to me, Stagg is something that I like as a one time limited release thing and what we have we have for much time to come. To me it makes it that much more special. I don't feel that way with offerings like EWSB and OFBB, where each year is a different vintage; I like that for them. Go figure, that's just me...

That would be interesting if Stagg were left that way. I'd sure feel like a wise old dog if it does turn out to be a One time thing. Amelia has a different theory , she tells me that any time they say that's all there is or there isn't much that I run out and get them , and the whole time there's a couple of boxcars full waiting for guys like me. She is very cynical in that regard. Maybe if it's a every couple of years, thing. I just don't think they'll let that label get too much rest, GTS was an owner at one time. For me any way I think Stagg is it , I love OFBB and would crawl a mile for a bottle , But I think the Stagg surpasses that , and by a whole lot. grin.gif

Oh yeah, The OFBB is absolutely great but I do love the Stagg a little more. Even if they make the Stagg again sometime in the future (and hopefully maybe like you suggested Bobby) I would still hope it was a different product. I personally just don't want to see another Stagg barrel proof and the only thing that changes is the age. If they did, please dont get me wrong, I'd still be more than happy to probably buy a bottle after my experience with the 15 yo...

Oh and Bobby, you wife is a very wise woman, Stacy said the same thing about me going crazy trying to grab as many as I could! She still says you wait, they'll have it again next year and then you wasted all this money on one thing.. But what a wonderful thing it is!

The stagg is beautiful. It came at a such a reasonable price for such a great bourbon. If Stagg is never offered again, I hope there will be future bourbons with equal greatness and reasonable price. BT has a lot of class for not trying to squeeze our pockets, when they could have. I was just at a liquor place, where the girl and I were blubbering on about, how a so called poor man's bourbon is still very fine drink. I picked up a W L Weller centen. 10yr old. I'd open it now, but I have to be driving in a little while, so it will have to wait. Oh well, this liquid gold is timeless and will be waiting for me. Whiskies are very patient. smile.gif

Buffalo trace definitely deservers a lot of respect for not charging what they could have for George T. Stagg, and for releasing it in the US instead of making it a super expensive and hard to get export-only bourbon... I can think of a couple of other companies that i am sure would have been charging triple for it. I can't wait to see what the arrangement with Julian Van Winkle and BT turns out...

-Chris

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I agree Tom, and not only bring up the price but bring in new bourbon drinkers who tend to think and act like 'single malt land' whiskey drinkers

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.