Your first taste of a really excellent bourbon.

jbutler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 1 month later...

I would have to say that the light came on the moment my lips touched their first sips of Kentucky Spirit. I had tasted many bourbons, including several "premium" bottlings, prior to this and I thought I knew what good bourbon tasted like. The rich full-bodied flavor of this single barrel has set the bar that all other bourbons are now measured against. I know that when I try a bourbon that reminds me at all of KS, in taste or quality, I have found a winner! Unfortunatly Kentucky Spirit keeps some pretty exclusive, and expensive, company. Bourbons like Stagg, Pappy, Eagle Rare 17yo and the Birthday Bourbon all give KS a run for its money, but none could ever be considered a runnaway winner. You just haven't lived until you've got a bottle of KS in your cabinet to drink at your pleasure.

Until about a year ago, I had only had bourbon in mixed drinks: manhattens, jack and coke, and a few mint juleps on Derby Day (I'm originally from Cincinnati, which is not all that far from Louisville). Then I saw the movie "Changing Lanes"...a very forgettable B movie with Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Affleck. There's a scene in the movie, though, where Samuel L. Jackson goes into a bar and orders a shot of bourbon. A few days later I was in a bar and I couldn't decide what I wanted...when for unknown reasons that scene popped in my head. So I ordered a shot of bourbon, and the bartender poured me a shot of Knob Creek. I drank it and thought "Damn, I LIKE this!". I asked the bartender if this was the best bourbon she had, and that's when the Blanton's came out. I've never looked back.

I agree. Since I first bought a bottle of KS, I always keep one on hand. The same goes for Blanton's and Rare Breed. Right now, there is nothing else in that category, for me.

Tim

I hope you have stuck with that bartender. Sounds like he dispenses great advice!

Tim

A friend of mine helped me with a lot of remodeling work at my home a little over a year or so. We've been close friends since going through boot camp together and serving on the USS Dubuque together in the early 1970s (finding ourselves in Viet Nam). He got the heck out, and I eventually went on to make a career of the military, but we've always stayed in touch and are great friends. Anyway, after his work I sent him a "bonus" of some of the best boozes of the world. I had a "counseler" from samswines.com help pick out a top tequila, scotch, rum, gin, vodka, and bourbon. I spared no expense. The bourbon (of which I knew nothing about at this time) was a A.J. Hirsch, and I believe it had a vintage date on it from 1974 (my friends wedding anniversary date, by design). I "happened" to stop over for a sampling (I was just in the neighborhood-- even though he lives 90 miles away, heh-heh) and we tried a shot of the Bourbon straight. Normally neither he nor I would ever think of drinking bourbon straight (hicks that we are) because like most lay people we're only familier with the cheap stuff.

Well, it was a stunning-- SOOOO good! Up until then I had no idea that whiskey-- unless mixed with Coke or some crap like that, could actually taste great! I don't know if this particular vintage is still around and I don't remember exactly what I paid for it (a lot), but I'd love to try some again now that I'm slowly becoming more wise in the ways of Bourbon.

It was something of a revelatory experience.

Mark

jazztrpt.freeservers.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.