BOTM 7/10: Rittenhouse Rye BIB

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The DSP number doesn't just apply to distilleries. Non-distiller producers have licensed premises too. For Heaven Hill, DSP-31 covers the warehouses, bottling house, and cistern room in Bardstown.

• 4 months later...
Couldn't get my hands on any the 100 proof. But I did manage to acquire two bottles of the 80 proof.

So how did you like the 80? It was actually my 1st bottle of Rye and I enjoyed it. However, I'm drinking mostly straight now so it my be a tad tame at this point but I will surely revisit it.

The 80 proof really isn't too bad but the BIB is considerably better in terms of fullness of body and flavor. Drink what you can get and keep on hunting.

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!!! I finally found a bottle of this at the Liquor Barn (Hamburg) and all I can say is just WOW. I got talking about rye whiskeys with a couple guys one evening at the Liquor Barn, and one of them told me to keep an eye out for Rittenhouse Rye (it wasn't on the shelf at that time, and I'd never seen it before). I'm glad that I took their advice. This is the most enjoyable rye I have tasted to date. And if I had to live with it as my only whiskey for the remainder of my life, I could be satisfied with that. I love it. :grin:

That's a high recommendation Alan. I haven't had any in years but if it was available locally and reasonably price I would keep some around.

I picked up a couple bottles of this recently and was very pleased. Price was $21, which I still think is a great bargain for a rye that is great all alone, but isn't too pricey where you'd feel guilty to mix it in a sazerac or manhattan.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.