Buffalo Trace Distillery Oral History Project

harshest
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/09/02/1417328/distillery-history-preserved-on.html

FRANKFORT, Ky. -- Two hundred years of history surrounding the Buffalo Trace Distillery have been preserved on video. The distillery's oral history project took two years to complete and is now housed at the Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History at the University of Kentucky Libraries. A news release from the university says the videos are accessible on the Nunn Center website at http://www.nunncenter.org/buffalotrace. Next year they will also be available on computer terminals at the distillery in Franklin County. The interviews give viewers an in-depth look at the history of the bourbon industry and the distillery, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Nunn Center for Oral History is a collection of nearly 8,000 interviews on topics such as Appalachia, politics, horses and coal.

http://www.nunncenter.org/buffalotrace/

This is a very good thing and good for Buffalo Trace for doing it. Now two other things need to happen.

(1) Every other company that makes whiskey in America needs to do the exact same thing with its people.

(2) Then they all need to give a grant to the Oscar Getz Museum to do it with all of the people who are still around who worked for distilleries that are not.

If the Getz doesn't want to do it they can give the grant to me (make it a big one).

I can't wait to hear a Templeton Rye oral history.

I hear you but, in fact, they've done a ton of oral history about the "legend" of Templeton Rye, in that I have always assumed the stories about Prohibition-era moonshining in Templeton and vicinity are true, their having nothing to do with the current product called Templeton Rye notwithstanding.

I've always said that Scott Bush, the President of Templeton, has an MBA from MIT and it shows. Templeton is a brilliant piece of marketing.

I have watched a little of it since I was off today. Microdistillers would get more form this than they would from a years worth of adi crap. I am like Chuck, something should be done with all of the bourbon people that are still living.

Very cool. I watched the Van Winkle video. I'd always wondered what the difference was between the BT Weller and the BT ORVW lines. I'd wondered if there was a potential conflict there, but it seems like Julian has the the situation well in hand. :)

The only sad part is that if I ever meet the man, I will have no interesting questions to ask him, having had them answered already!

• 1 month later...

I thought the Mark Brown interview was very good.

His optimisim, enthusiasim, insight, and opinions make him just about the best ambassador the bourbon industry could ask for.

• 5 months later...

This news was released recently about the now complete project.

The entire projct will be for public view at The Grande Theatre in Frankfort.

Louie B. Nunn Center Completes Oral History Documentary Based on Buffalo Trace Distillery

3/22/2011

FRANKFORT, Franklin County, Ky. (March 22, 2011) – It’s more than 200 years of history in the making all rolled up into 40 minutes! The Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History at the University of Kentucky Libraries invites the public to view its completed documentary based on Buffalo Trace Distillery. Entitled “Quest for the Perfect Bourbon, Voices of Buffalo Trace Distillery,†the showing will take place at the Grand Theatre in Frankfort on Thursday, March 31, 2011.

The “Quest for the Perfect Bourbon†project is a compilation of interviews with the people and stories of the Buffalo Trace Distillery family, such as Master Distiller Emeritus Elmer T. Lee, and descendents of iconic figures such as Colonel E. H. Taylor, Jr., Colonel Albert B. Blanton and Pappy Van Winkle.

On March 31, the public can view the documentary for no charge at the Grand Theater while meeting some of the iconic figures featured in the interviews.

WHO: Buffalo Trace Distillery and the Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History

WHAT: “Quest for the Perfect Bourbon, Voices of Buffalo Trace Distillery†short compilation documentary of interviews with the people and stories of the Buffalo Trace Distillery family. Meet some of the personalities featured in the documentary as well as the director and film visionaries.

WHEN: Thursday, March 31 6:30-7:15 p.m.

WHERE: The Grand Theatre, 308 St. Clair Street, Frankfort, KY

*Open to the public, complimentary film viewing.

WHY: For more than two years, the Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History at the University of Kentucky Libraries has been working with director and producer Joanna Hay and interviewer Tom Troland to capture the stories of the people of Buffalo Trace Distillery to serve as a virtual time capsule for future generations.

All the video interviews are housed on the Nunn Center website, available at: http://www.nunncenter.org/buffalotrace/.

*All members of the media are invited to a private reception in the Gallery at the Grand Theatre before the viewing from 5-6 p.m.

About the Nunn Center

UK Libraries’ Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History is internationally recognized for its outstanding collection of nearly 8,000 oral history interviews. The number of interviews available online continues to grow, providing greater access to the collection. Topics are wide-ranging from Appalachia, politics, veterans’ stories, as well as documenting important Kentucky industries such as the horse, coal and bourbon industries. To learn more about the Louie B. Nunn Center for Oral History, visit www.nunncenter.orgas well as www.uky.edu/libraries/nunncenter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.