I want to make bourbon ice cream from scratch.

MikeDS
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got a Cuisinart ice cream maker as a gift ( http://www.cuisinart.com/products/ic.../ice-30bc.html ) and I just followed one of the recipes in the book on Labor day and made some dern good vanilla bean ice cream. Now that I've made the inaugural batch I have more confidence. Anyone have a recipe for bourbon ice cream? I searched and found one but it was more like taking pre-made ice cream and adding bourbon and a few other things. Thanks!

I got a Cuisinart ice cream maker as a gift ( http://www.cuisinart.com/products/ic.../ice-30bc.html ) and I just followed one of the recipes in the book on Labor day and made some dern good vanilla bean ice cream. Now that I've made the inaugural batch I have more confidence. Anyone have a recipe for bourbon ice cream? I searched and found one but it was more like taking pre-made ice cream and adding bourbon and a few other things. Thanks!

I'm sure the recipe that you used included vanilla, just substitude bourbon and you may want to add a little more.

When we make milkshakes in the blender we use vanilla ice cream, milk and a couple of tablespoons of bourbon.

When you make your base also watch the amount of sugar, I think it will take less. Subbing the bourbon for the vanilla is absolutely the way to go, but I am not sure you will get the flavor coming through as much as you think.

Trader Joe's has/had a bourbon infused vanilla extract that I would suggest experimenting in addition to whatever bourbon you decide to use.

I'm sure the recipe that you used included vanilla, just substitude bourbon and you may want to add a little more.

When we make milkshakes in the blender we use vanilla ice cream, milk and a couple of tablespoons of bourbon.

It contained 2 teaspoons of vanilla. I don't expect to get drunk off the thing but I may need to at least double that.

When you make your base also watch the amount of sugar, I think it will take less. Subbing the bourbon for the vanilla is absolutely the way to go, but I am not sure you will get the flavor coming through as much as you think.

Trader Joe's has/had a bourbon infused vanilla extract that I would suggest experimenting in addition to whatever bourbon you decide to use.

Good to know about Trader Joe's. I'll have to check.

Anyone have a recipe for bourbon ice cream? I searched and found one but it was more like taking pre-made ice cream and adding bourbon and a few other things. Thanks!

I've made some with pre-made ice cream before, but never from scratch. Would be an iteresting experiment :grin: Make sure you let us know how it goes.

I'm pretty sure that Timothy (barturtle) makes his own ice cream once in a while. I don't know if he has a bourbon ice cream recipe though. Joe

You need to get ahold of Roger (RUGHI) he makes some terrific ice cream. When the EBSG got together a couple of months ago Roger and Maia treated us to some homemade Ice Cream. I think we had coffee, mint maybe apricot good stuff.

Keep in mind the more alcohol you add the less your ice cream will actually freeze. You might wind up with soft serve....really good soft serve, but soft serve nonetheless. You could cook down the bourbon and flame off a good portion of the alcohol before adding it to your base ice cream recipe.

Keep in mind the more alcohol you add the less your ice cream will actually freeze. You might wind up with soft serve....really good soft serve, but soft serve nonetheless. You could cook down the bourbon and flame off a good portion of the alcohol before adding it to your base ice cream recipe.

I was talking to my wife about this and we concur. Cook it down then add. I'll let everyone know how it goes when we do this. Thanks!

I made a double batch last weekend that substituted GTS for half of the vanila extract. To be honest, I could barely taste any bourbon influence, and some of that may have been wishfull thinking. I finished the last of it today for lunch.

My standard recipe is as follows:

• 4 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 4 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream (Anderson Erickson is my favorite brand because they don't use gums or preservatives)
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 1/2 cups baker's sugar (the fine granulation dissolves better in cold mixtures)
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Last week, since I used raw cream, I went with a two to one ratio of cream to milk. I did this because I don't have a cream centrifuge and only let the milk set undisturbed in my fridge for 24 hours before taking the cream off with a turkey baster. It's an imperfect way to separate the cream from the milk, and no doubt, as I got down to the seperation layer, I sucked up some skim along with the cream.

I don't think it would hurt to add two or three extra tablespoons of bourbon.

I made a double batch last weekend that substituted GTS for half of the vanila extract. To be honest, I could barely taste any bourbon influence, and some of that may have been wishfull thinking. I finished the last of it today for lunch.

My standard recipe is as follows:

• 4 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 4 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream (Anderson Erickson is my favorite brand because they don't use gums or preservatives)
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 1/2 cups baker's sugar (the fine granulation dissolves better in cold mixtures)
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Last week, since I used raw cream, I went with a two to one ratio of cream to milk. I did this because I don't have a cream centrifuge and only let the milk set undisturbed in my fridge for 24 hours before taking the cream off with a turkey baster. It's an imperfect way to separate the cream from the milk, and no doubt, as I got down to the seperation layer, I sucked up some skim along with the cream.

I don't think it would hurt to add two or three extra tablespoons of bourbon.

4 1/2 cups whole milk

4 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream

Wow that must be a huge batch. My ice cream maker is only a 2 quart and it was FULL with 2 1/3 cups milk and 2 1/3 cups cream. I will celebrate fall on the 21st with a new batch, bourbon flavored.

A short cut, but it's an old trick from a 1970's Julia Child book (the one based on her tv series in that decade, which was less formal than the earlier stuff and focused on American cuisines).

To scoops of vanilla ice cream, dust the top with a teaspoon of instant coffee. Yes, it has to be instant. Then pour over a jigger of dark rum or bourbon.

Works every time.

Gary

P.S. For period authenticity, use ND OG or another rich-flavoured brand from then.

If there are any Italian specialty stores in your area you can get instant espresso which is a lot richer than your standard instant coffee. Medaglia d'Oro brand is good (Not necessarily for drinking but for cooking/baking applications)

Well, that sounds good, although Julia was speaking from the standpoint of American heartland food as it was in the 70's.

I'll try it though, and it sounds like it will go great with an aged grappa too.

Gary

A short cut, but it's an old trick from a 1970's Julia Child book (the one based on her tv series in that decade, which was less formal than the earlier stuff and focused on American cuisines).

To scoops of vanilla ice cream, dust the top with a teaspoon of instant coffee. Yes, it has to be instant. Then pour over a jigger of dark rum or bourbon.

Works every time.

Gary

P.S. For period authenticity, use ND OG or another rich-flavoured brand from then.

I've been away from this site too long. ND OG?

National Distillers Old Gran-dad.

Gary

I see. When I was last here (on this site) Old Grand Dad was OGD. Regardless, I love the stuff! Have changes been made to the mashbill or ownership or anything?

Terminology is variable here, I always called it OG. The mashbill is supposed to be the same as under ND ownership, but Beam's version always tasted different to me. Beam acquired the brand in 1987 and relocated production to its Clermont plant. There is also today a plant at Boston, KY.

Gary

• 2 months later...

Last night I made another batch of Ice cream. I saved out enough mix from the main batch to use as an experiment, enough for my 1.5 quart Cuisinart. I added a tablespoon of Stagg to the small batch. Wow! you can really taste the bourbon.

I added a tablespoon of Stagg to the small batch. Wow! you can really taste the bourbon.

Bourbon & ice cream is 2nd only to _ _ _ _ _ _ (fill in the blank with your favorite)

Bourbon & ice cream is 2nd only to _ _ _ _ _ _ (fill in the blank with your favorite)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.