Thomas Handy 2010

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Actually there were one here several years ago Erik and it is still my favourite rye in the taste per buck division. I still have one left in my bunker.

I do agree 100 % with your reasoning about the lack of “middle†old ryes.

Leif

Sweet. If I ever cross the ocean and happen to be in the neighborhood, would you be willing to open that sucker up for a sampling? :rolleyes: Don't know if I will ever be in the neighborhood, but you never know.

...I wasn't wowed with my first bottle of (Ri)1, particularly at the price point. But, my store has the price knocked down to $28ish,..

I do wonder if Beam is going to go ahead with subsequent Ri one...two...or three as planned. This group not withstanding, I have paid attention to liquor stores and bars. No one in this area is buying it. The strategy of marketing it to cocktail drinkers, at least in this market has failed.

Beam may have deep pockets to carry out this strategy for the long haul, but I wonder how far they are willing to go?

• 5 months later...

I'm with the vocal minority here: I think the Thomas H Handys that I've tasted (2009 and 2010) are phenomenal, and is thus far my favorite rye to date. Admittedly, I haven't tried several of the other top shelf ryes, like the Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, but I am blown away by the Handy every time.

I'd be happy to see it offered more widely, and I'd be happy to see it sold at a lower price, but I am also happy to pay the current asking price. I do sincerely thank each and every one of you who is unwilling to buy it at the current price, as you may well solve those twin distribution and cost problems for me.

Guest wripvanwrinkle

I'm with you, dbk. I don't even agree that it is all that expensive. At 65% abv (2009) and at a price of 60 USD locally, if it was sold diluted to 46% abv...it should sell at 49 USD. That is about the same price as High West (another 6/7 year old.)

This logic says nothing though about preference. I love THH because it has an "older whiskey" nose, and a taste that doesn't betray that nose. Furthermore, it walks that line between something elegant while not letting you forget that you are drinking a rye.

Ultimatley though, I think that there are 2 variables that work against some peoples evaluation the most. First, its colleague GTS is a crazy good value. Second, it is often compared against the VWFRR13...an absolutely amazing value (one of the few whiskeys that I buy every bottle that I can find.)

I'm with you, dbk. I don't even agree that it is all that expensive. At 65% abv (2009) and at a price of 60 USD locally, if it was sold diluted to 46% abv...it should sell at 49 USD. That is about the same price as High West (another 6/7 year old.)

value (one of the few whiskeys that I buy every bottle that I can find.)

If it were $60 I would buy it. But it's at a minimum of $70 here and most places that still have it at this point are selling it at $80 or more. So it's not a good deal at those prices, especially when VWFRR is a few dollars cheaper.

And you're welcome DBK.:lol:

If it were $60 I would buy it. But it's at a minimum of $70 here and most places that still have it at this point are selling it at $80 or more. So it's not a good deal at those prices, especially when VWFRR is a few dollars cheaper.

I don't think this is necessarily BT's fault, though. I know someone in Maryland who claims he can find it for $58. The bottles I've found in New York, on the other hand, are closer to $85 (and the same place charges $100 for the Stagg). It seems like much of the price hike is on the State's, supplier's, or vendor's side of things

And you're welcome DBK.:lol:

Thanks, Josh! Keep it up. ;)

I've never owned a bottle of the stuff but would like to. Whenever I've had it I have found it to be outstanding.

One of the local stores I frequent had a slew of '09 Handys for $59. I can't detect a huge difference between the last two years (they are both rich, explosive ryes). For it being a consistent barrel proof offering, I don't mind the price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.