Nasty Old Fashioned!

BrianBradford
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Below is my recipe. I tried two today just to make sure they are good ;-)

1 tsp sugar in glass

Angastora bitters to soak sugar (5 or so dashes)

Regans orange bitters (2 dashes)

A little water to dissolve above (I use hot tap water)

fill glass with ice

add 2 ounces bourbon (WT Rare Breed today)

I don't like messing with an orange peel just to get some citrus so I use the orange bitters instead.

Charles

• 1 month later...
Hidden

A new local restaurant called Whiskey Cake boasts a number of handmade whiskey cocktails on their menu. However the description for their old fashioned only includes whiskey and simple syrup, something I had to clarify with the server. The description is accurate so I chose to have a sazerac cocktail instead. What an odd recipe for an old fashioned.

SB members would probably shoot me if they saw how I make old fashoineds...

muddle 1/2 wheel of orange, wedge of lemon and a cherry with a teaspoon of sugar and few dashes of bitters

add 1.5oz bourbon

top with ice

splash soda

But it's soooooo good :grin:

I also wanted to bump the "nasty old fashioned" thread off the index. No offense, but I was tired of seeing that title.

It wasn't me Amy! It was the new guy!

OOPS! Sorry for the aweful title. I just meant that the experience that particular day was nasty, not the Old Fashioned itself. If I could edit the thread title, I would rename it "Bad Old Fashioned Experience".

• 2 weeks later...

The idea behind the original old fashioned, which was the first cocktail to be written down on paper, was to make a drink that maintained all character of the base spirit but little to none of the alcoholic sting. The historical old fashion is just spirit, sugar and bitters. The spirit could be anything you wanted it to be, but as rye was the most prevalent at the time, it became the standard base spirit. Rum old fashions were also popular though, from what I understand. Later bourbon was substituted for rye as it went out of fashion.

I prefer the old way of making them, although I do add the zest of an orange peel to mine as well, as I find the oils help tame the spirit further and add complexity to both the nose and palate. Any aged spirit will work with this cocktail. Angostura bitters seems to work with pretty much anything, but orange bitters (or some other type of bitters) might work better with some spirits over angostura. For instance, I like using orange bitters with calvados, and I would probably use grapefruit bitters with an anejo tequila. You get the idea. My recipe and technique is as follows:

Put a sugar cube in a rocks glass, add two dashes of bitters and muddle. Add a dash of water (about 1/2 oz) and two to three ice cubes and stir. Add two oz. of base spirit and a couple more ice cubes and stir again. Using a potato type peeler or knife, cut off a silver dollar size (or a bit larger) portion of peel off of an orange. Squeeze the orange peel over the drink to express the oils and then add the peel to the drink. Enjoy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.