Fuente Fuente Opus X and Eagle Rare 17yo

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night at Nicholson's I Decided to splurge a little so I had a Fuente Fuente Opus X. Beautifully proportioned Cigar with a medium brown color and a light veininess throughout the wrapper. It was medium bodied like most of the Fuentes and perhaps just a bit pepperieras well. Initially the burn was uneven, but a little more trimming did the trick. It had an effortless draw that made for lots of beautiful blue smoke that accompanied a nutty, spicy flavor. The opus was at its best with a 2 1/2" ash. It got a little tannic about 3/4 of the way through, but rebounded at the end. Overall a fine cigar, but pricey. Paired with the Eagle Rare 17yo this was a perfect combination. The ER 17yo had a smoothness that I have not found in the other ER bottlings. The cinnamon spiciness from the bourbon matched the pepperiness of the cigar very well. Flavors of apricot seemed more apparent in the bourbon the longer I smoked the cigar. The result of this experiment: Total bourbonic relaxation. Next time you get the chance, pick up a Fuente Fuente Opus X and pair it with your favorite pour.

Fuente Fuente Opus X: $20 @ Nicholson's

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jeff, you Lucky Dog! I've never even seen an Opus X much less smoked one. I'm sure it was enjoyable as I love anything Fuente. The Eagle Rare 17 year old is magnificent in every respect. I'm glad you enjoyed them. - Linn

Jeff, I was curious on what size Fuente Opus X you were smoking? I love cuban/strong cigars, and outside of these the Opus are some of the strongest you can find. Is it possible that your pairing made the Opus seem less than full strength? I would hate to think that Fuente possibly could be changing their profile of the infamous Opus X! confused.gif See ya, H'wood cool.gif

It was a Fuente Fuente Opus X, Perfexion X, 6 1/4" x 48. The one that is cedar wrapped with the red ribbon around the bottom. Very smooth and medium bodied IMHO. You can see it here: Opus X

• 2 weeks later...

After speaking with the folks at Schwabs tonight I learned that the Fuente Fuente Opus X's will be comming available in the next couple of weeks. They actually recieve stock twice a year. If anyone is interested let me know and I will pick you up some. They tell me that my Perfexion X that cost $20 at Nicholson's would only be around $10. I think I will be buying a box laugh.gif

Damn, when I go to L'ville next, I think I will have to stop at Nicholson's on the way there. Can they open a branch here in NC? crazy.gif

The bourbon selection sounds fantastic and the atmosphere you describe (bourbon + cigars) seems great, too. I don't smoke cigars, but I don't mind the smell at all as my grandfather smoked them (my Dad's father, not my Mom's father who was in the distillery business).

BTW, Bettye Jo, my "cigar" grandfather always had a bottle of HH on the counter and took a shot a day. I always remember as a kid, we would drive from WV (even before I-64 was all the way through) and stop to get my "cigar" grandfather a bottle of HH in downtown J'town right near where Taylorsville Road hit downtown. Then we'd hop on Billtown Road on our way to Fern Creek. I know you are from B'town, but J'town was an old scenic area that did have alot of charm like B'town before L'ville grew to swallow it up.

$10 bucks a piece for Opus!....You're damn right, you better buy all you can get for that price! When you can find them the cheapest is $15+. I pay $15-22 depending on the size. See ya, H'wood cool.gif

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jeff if you do indeed buy a box I'd like to take a couple off your hands if you're intrested in selling.

Linn

Absolutely,

I'll be checking every couple of days and I'll let you know ehrn they come in.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.