Your favorite Bourbon Bar

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In Lexington we are truely lucky to have some very fine bourbon selections at our watering holes. This is not as common an occurance as you might imagine throughout much of the commonwealth. My personal favorite is Nicholson's Cigar Bar on Broadway and Main. Not only do they claim to have the "World's largest collection of premium and single-barrel bourbons", they have a nice cigar menu to boot. Everything from Stagg to WT12 to Distiller's Masterpiece to Pappy 23yo and everything in between. And the prices are decent as well. Let's do each other a favor and recommend our favorite bourbon bars so that when we are in the area, we will always have a fine selection from which to partake.

Jeff,

I seldom go to a bar unless it's mainly to listen to some blues. At my occasional haunts the bourbon selection is practically non-existent.

I'm lucky to find WT 101, Knob Creek, or Woodford Reserve. One place also has that Tennesee whiskey in its Single Barrel bottling. (They've had the same bottle for over a year, according to the bartender.)

The L.A/Orange Co. area must have some better bourbon bars than I've happened upon, but at this point it's unlikely that any of them have a better selection than I do here at home.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Mine is in (or near) Atlanta. Joey D's Oak Room near the Perimeter Center, just off I-285 on the north side of town. They have just about everything I can imagine. I wrote up my exploits there in Aug, 2002.

Tim

Indeed you did. I just took a little trip down memory lane -- even though they weren't my memories. grin.gif

For anyone who wishes to take a similar trip, go here .

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Well, all I can say is that at least they all have at least two out of three ("One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer", as sung by John Lee Hooker).

Remember, we're talking about southern California here. One of the best blues clubs near me is actually called Martini Blues. How yuppy is that?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Not anything here outstanding in the "Ham to speak of suprisingly. One cigar bar called the "Blue Monkey". The low ceilings, narrow hallways, and general smoky layout gives more of the impression of an opium den! crazy.gif Standard pours, a few "general" single-barrels. See ya, H'wood cool.gif

In Kansas City they tore down my two favorite old haunts (progress, hah) but I'd still recommend JJ's for selection (cost be damned) and The Grand Emporium for atmosphere & blues, heckuva good club. Truth be told, a better selection of beer than bourbon, but it's where you gotta go if you pass thru town. Here's the Pitch--our local alternative rag. You may find something else that suits ya.

FWIW, one of my favorite places to have a cocktail is the bar at the Golden Ox steakhouse in KC, down in the stockyards. It's got some orignal 1950's cowboy-steakhouse decor that must be seen to be believed, it's straight out of GIANT. They make a damfine Manhattan or Rusty Nail. I always enjoy a cocktail more knowing that there'll be a hefty steak chaser.

I used to go to the Perimeter area alot on business. Damn, I wish I had known about that place. I will remember this for the next trip.

So close, yet so far. I stayed at the Embassy once, but headed straight to the Irish bar behind the hotel to meet a friend.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.