Bourbon Societies

WEG3
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am not sure if this topic belongs here or on off topic board , but here it goes .... Has am one here joined or tried to join or is a member of the Bourbon Societies listed on SB.com web site ? confused.gif If so what do they offer and how long did it take to get a repley from them if ever ? confused.gif

Thank you for your understanding if I have posted this on the wrong board ....

Bill G .

Hopefully learning something

I'm in 2 of them, well sort of. The good one is The Bardstown Bourbon Society, sponsored by Heaven Hill. I think you can get to it Online. I also belong(?) to Kentucky Bourbon Circle Which is Jim Beam. Some way somehow the newsletters while nice have been infrequent in coming, It's been a long time since I got a copy ( more than a year). You can go online and read most of it. It may be KBC .com or something. Basically they would tell you about personal appearances of Booker and Fred Noe. Offer some glasses and videos . Feature some new non Bourbon brand from that company and maybe include a recipe for manhattens or old fashion. I did learn to infuse Maroshino cherries there.Basically all it is is to promote the Small Batch Collection. That was about it . I do from time to time get an invite to a Bourbon tasting in Louisville , I don't know who is connected to that , and they feature everyones Bourbon at one time or another.

Maker's Mark has a Ambassador's Club...It's a newsletter from Bill Samuel's Jr...

I forgot about that one. Beams is at SmallBatch.com. HH is Bardstownbourbonsociety.com You will need a secret word to see the newsletter . grin.gif

I get the two Bobby mentioned. They are primarily marketing materials. But, since discovering SB.com, I've had no need for them. Still, it's nice to get them in the mail.

The reason I ask Is I sent off a letter , by snail mail to 3 of the listed Societies back in Nov,Dec of 2002 and have not heard a word from any of them .......Just wondering if it was something I said / did .......

confused.gif

Bill G.

I'll bet that you hear from the Bardstown Bourbon Society. Heck, they even admitted me as a member.

They sent me a membership kit (eventually), which included a coupon for a rebate on any Heaven Hill single barrel bourbon.

Someone mentioned the need for a secret code to register at the site. I'll bet it's a closely guarded secret, too, sort of like a distillery's mashbill (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Wild Turkey had a thing on their website where if you answered a bunch of questions correctly ( There are articles you are pointed to so you can find out everything there eventually) and they would send you a Rare Breed baseball cap. I got the test right but never got the cap. I may try it again sometime if it is still there.

A couple of years ago, I signed up for George Dickel's "Water Conservation Society". Pure marketing, but what can you expect.

I don't hear from them very often, but they did send me a mailing a few months ago, so they are still alive, if only barely.

Tim

I guess they figured out that some Turkey-nuts will actually pay for the hat. blush.gif

Come to think of it, mine isn't Rare Breed; it's Wild Turkey.

According to the information on their website, it's possible that you answered all the questions correctly but were not among the first 250 to do so.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

There was an article in the KBC newsletter. It seemed odd to me. The Guy who is the director of it and also is in the video about tasting Bourbon, said he was in a restaurant in Chicago with Booker. Booker ordered Country Ham. If there's something Booker may know more about than Bourbon , Ham may be it. He used to take some of the workmen from Beams and kill lots of hogs and cure it all out etc. Any way Booker didn't care for what he was served so he sent this guy to his truck to fetch a ham he had there and I suppose he had cured himself. They get the chef out and he cooks up some and he admitted it was real good. The fellow says this is embarrassing to him , and the thought that ran through my mind was how embarrassed does this guy get when he picks up his check on Friday?

It would take a hell of a lot more than that to embarass me , and I think if I worked there , nothing that Booker could do would ever be a problem.

I've signed up for several of those things but they typically peter out after a couple of mailings. Maybe they cut me out because they know who I am. Maybe I should use a fake name next time.

Jack Daniel's had the grand daddy of them all with what I think was called the Country Squires or something like that. It started in the 50s, when Jack was actually in short supply. They wanted to keep people interested in the brand even if they couldn't find it. I know they were talking about discontinuing it because it was so costly and I guess they finally did.

I became pretty familiar with JD's operation because I was involved in creating the Krewe of M. W. Heron, a "club" for Southern Comfort. That was close to 20 years ago and I'm sure it's long dead by now, but I got at least one "business" trip to Mardi Gras out of the deal, so it wasn't a total loss. Yes, people, I once had a job where I got paid to drink. Life is good.

• 4 weeks later...

Wild Turkey's Rare Breed Society seems to have the most vigor. They kindly sent me a hatpin along with the welcome letter. And a few months ago, they sent me another mailing. It allows you to order personalized labels for Rare Breed bottles. I'm (easily) impressed by WT's effort, and I love freebies. cool.gif

Tommy

I sent that little application, that comes with the Rare Breed bottle, in about 3 months ago and I have yet to hear the first thing. How long did it take you to initially hear from them?

I'm not sure how long exactly, but it was a few months at least. The pin I was talking about came with a slick letter from Jimmy Russell, which, God help me, I have hanging on my wall. blush.gif I'm still waiting for my labels, and I sent my request in November or December. I'm getting the impression that Wild Turkey wasn't prepared for the response they received from their promotions.

Tommy

I think you are right, the same thing happened to me. I mailed in the thing for the labels in December and still nothing. The first time I mailed in the application to initialy join, I never heard anything back at all. I wrote them, and they said mail in another application with the next bottle I purchase. Not a problem because Rare Breed has become a regular purchase, but nonetheless I found that rude.

Geez , Maybe those guys at Burks Spring are all over it after all. Less than a week for me on each of the 3 personalized labels from them.

Yeah I forgot about that! Actually These are all 1 a year for the last 3 years. The next installment comes with My sons Birthday in May. grin.gif

I've been so long waiting already, I forgot all about those labels until Tommy mentioned them...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.