Woodinville Whiskey Company

GOCOUGS2002
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This weekend Jen and I went to Washington State wine country in Woodinville, WA near Bellevue. Home to over 70 wineries, Redhook brewery and now Woodinville Whiskey Company.

Orlin Sorenson and Brett Carlile (who are mentored by David Pickerell) built Woodinville Whiskey company from the ground up starting in January 2010 culminating with the opening in September.

The distillery currently produces Vodka, which was very good (for a vodka) and a wheated "bourbon" mashbill white dog whiskey (listed as 80 proof on their website, however I received two 110 proof bottles for my "make my own aged whiskey kit") using a German made still with the following specifications:

265-gallon pot still with pear-shaped whiskey helmet

16-plate bubble-cap “Superaromator†rectification column with increased copper surface area and turbulent motion of liquid

2 dephlegmators for amplified rectification

Over 31 feet of columns

Over 1/2 ton of whole, organic grain per production cycle

They hope to put an aged whiskey on the shelf next year and are currently aging barrels above their distillery piping in heat during the day and turning it off at night.

David Pickerell will be at the distillery Thurday, Friday and Saturday for a Whiskey After Dark series. All three nights are sold out; however Mr. Pickerell, in his mentor role, was there for the opening weekend signing autographs and doing tastings and should be a regular over the next couple years.

• 2 months later...

I think I am going to go tomorrow with a friend but I am on the fence for the 110proof age your own for $150

Brett and Orlin are great guys and I expect some nice aged whisky from them in the future. They set up WWC the correct way with a consultant like Dave Pickerell to guide them. I helped them bottle a batch of their vodka and learned much about the distilling process. A few months ago they had Dave give a seminar on how oak barrels influence the new make/white dog. It's nice to have a local distillery close by.

I see WWC now offers an Age Your Own Whiskey Kit

including White Dog, 2 litre barrel, funnel, two tasting

glasses and instructions.

Thanks for the heads up, that sounds very fun. I know you can buy small

barrels and experiment on your own but it makes for a very nice side product for them to sell.

I just saw that this was available @ Binnys and when I spoke with the woman @ Woodinville they were just getting ready to bottle the 110 proof white dog for the age your own kits and they have a large order for the Costcos in Cali.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just went yesterday to get my bottle of Bourbon from Woodinville I can't wait to try their fully aged bourbon may have to also try the rye next year. I would have liked to have made it there on the 19th of Nov but could not so my bottle is not signed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.