Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey

harshest
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Seagram's 7 has a honey product too.

Line extensions are most successful when they increase the consumer's purchasing frequency within the brand family. My theory is that it's couples, he drinks the whiskey, she drinks the sweet liqueur. Drinking whiskey is now cool so whiskey brands are desirable from a brand image standpoint, even when that image is being used to sell a product that isn't whiskey.

Interesting that Beam was early to the party but bet on cherry. Everybody else bet on honey including late-to-the-party Jack.

The wild card in the Jack Daniel's story was Frank Sinatra. His unsolicited and uncompensated endorsement was invaluable to the brand during a critical period.

All of the distilleries must see growth potential in the segment, as they all are coming out with the same type of product recently (WT, EW, now JD. Not to mention the ones that have been around for a while). Does anyone know the sales figures for the different versions? Are the volume numbers to support all of these new introductions high enough to justify them?

The wild card in the Jack Daniel's story was Frank Sinatra. His unsolicited and uncompensated endorsement was invaluable to the brand during a critical period.

...Interesting that Beam was early to the party but bet on cherry. Everybody else bet on honey including late-to-the-party Jack.

Hasn't Heaven Hill offered both? (I thought I remembered seeing a cherry-flavored EW on a shelf or two, too.:skep:)

Tom, in my view the way to drink them, which is not often mentioned here, is to blend them with bourbon from the same house (or any bourbon or rye, but I'll leave that aside). If you blend this Tennessee Honey with regular Jack Daniels - I'd use Single Barrel Select - you will get a rich taste but with much less sweetness. You can do 1:1, 1:2 or however you like it. Some people may feel it's not worth the bother but it's just adjusting the palate to the level you like - it's an American Rob Roy in effect.

Gary

You could have stopped there.

Yes, but if only one person got a chuckle out of the listing of "Louie Louie" lyrics, then it was worth doing.

Don't forget David Lee Roth and Michael Anthony of Van Halen for carrying their share of the JD torch. Anthony even has a JD shaped bass guitar. I think Slash of Guns and Roses/Velvet Revolver was a big JD fan too. I only remember seeing pictures of Keith Richards drinking from bottles of Rebel Yell bourbon!

Thomas

I suspect Keith Richards and Jimmy Page helped too. Also Sonny Barger. Couldn't find a pic of Sonny with JD, but I know he drinks it. Word is, if you're attending the annual Harleyfest in Sturgis, SD, the best prospect for meeting Sonny is at the JD Hospitality Tent.

You can really talk about marketing with JD to the Nth degree but the whole rock and roll, pick it up I am a rebel image that just fit in with outlaw musicians, and rock rock ROCK yeah!... you can't buy that kind of stuff, they just lucked out with it I think.

Janis Joplin did a lot for Southern Comfort.

Now, of course, it's all compensated (e.g., Kid Rock and Jim Beam), but back then it was mostly serendipity.

You can really talk about marketing with JD to the Nth degree but the whole rock and roll, pick it up I am a rebel image that just fit in with outlaw musicians, and rock rock ROCK yeah!... you can't buy that kind of stuff, they just lucked out with it I think.

Yep. If they'd all been knocking back cognac from the bottle, we would have seen this stuff a lot sooner.

post-3291-14489817257483_thumb.jpg

I do not remember the brand of beer, but they ran a series with a bunch of guys sitting around making "Man Laws"; It was decided man Law # 45 or something was "Don't Fruit the Beer" (putting lime in beer).

Well; Man Law #69 should be "Don't Put Crap in the Bourbon"

Man Law #69 should be "Don't Put Crap in the Bourbon"

I do not remember the brand of beer, but they ran a series with a bunch of guys sitting around making "Man Laws"; It was decided man Law # 45 or something was "Don't Fruit the Beer" (putting lime in beer).

Well; Man Law #69 should be "Don't Put Crap in the Bourbon"

beera colada

• 4 weeks later...

I had a couple glasses of the JD Honey last night and it's not bad when you're in the mood for that sort of thing. It doesn't taste that much like honey and it doesn't taste at all like whiskey. Vanilla ("catnip for humans," as someone once said) seems to be the dominant flavor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.