Tax Stamp Accuracy

Parkersback
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've got a couple of bottles of OFBIB (one is a fifth, the other is a handle) that have tax stamps, both of which indicate that they were distilled in '71 and bottled in '77.

The label says "This whiskey is 5 years old", so the tax stamp contradicts that a tiny bit.

But my real question is, is it possible that this whiskey is older than the tax stamp indicates? It certainly tastes older than 6 years. I hear stories of glut whiskey, and I wonder if the tax stamp could have been fudged for one reason or another.

In the US there is often an age statement that is really a guarantee of minimum age, with the option to put older whiskey.

The Fall/Spring Year dates are accurate.

Roger

I've got a couple of bottles of OFBIB (one is a fifth, the other is a handle) that have tax stamps, both of which indicate that they were distilled in '71 and bottled in '77.

The label says "This whiskey is 5 years old", so the tax stamp contradicts that a tiny bit.

But my real question is, is it possible that this whiskey is older than the tax stamp indicates? It certainly tastes older than 6 years. I hear stories of glut whiskey, and I wonder if the tax stamp could have been fudged for one reason or another.

Tom I doubt anyone would 'fudge' a tax stamp. Criminal liabilities, large fines, revoking of the distilling license, not one reason to do it and lots of reasons not to.

To be more specific, a whiskey distilled in Fall 1971 and bottled in Spring 1977 would be 5-1/2 years old. Since it is not yet six years old, they can't call it that. Thus, stating it is 5 years old is accurate.

BIB expressions must contain whiskey distilled within the same distilling season. Thus, a BIB will NOT contain whiskey older than the age statement, but only just exactly what is printed on the tax stamp. Otherwise, it would not qualify as BIB.

If you discern as taste difference between this bottling and what you think a 6yo bourbon 'ought' to taste like, then you should delve into the matters of higher and lower distilling proof, and higher and lower barreling proofs. Undoubtedly, whiskey would have been entered into a barrel in 1971 at a lower proof than whiskey barreled in, say 2005. Both might be six years old upon bottling, but you would almost certainly note a difference in taste and body.

To be more specific, a whiskey distilled in Fall 1971 and bottled in Spring 1977 would be 5-1/2 years old. Since it is not yet six years old, they can't call it that. Thus, stating it is 5 years old is accurate.

BIB expressions must contain whiskey distilled within the same distilling season. Thus, a BIB will NOT contain whiskey older than the age statement, but only just exactly what is printed on the tax stamp. Otherwise, it would not qualify as BIB.

If you discern as taste difference between this bottling and what you think a 6yo bourbon 'ought' to taste like, then you should delve into the matters of higher and lower distilling proof, and higher and lower barreling proofs. Undoubtedly, whiskey would have been entered into a barrel in 1971 at a lower proof than whiskey barreled in, say 2005. Both might be six years old upon bottling, but you would almost certainly note a difference in taste and body.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.