Wanted: Homemade Bourbon BBQ Sauce Recipe

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I tinkered around all last summer and fall trying to put together the best Bourbon BBQ sauce. I never turned out exactly what I was looking for, so I figued I would throw in the towel and just steal one of your's grin.gif So please post your favorite recipe. Maybe we could even have a sauce tasting and competition at the Festival this year laugh.gif

• 4 weeks later...

So no one is willing to part with the goods huh? I guess I will have to settle for bottled sauces frown.gif . What are some of your favorites? I know that I like the Wild Turkey Gormet Sauce, Yum!

Well, I don't know about any homemade sauces but "discussing the merits" (also known as arguing) over different BBQ sauces in these parts is something of a never ending saga, a birthright. We take our Que very seriously here in Kansas City, and it something like how young Buddhists are expected to become a monk for a couple of years in the orient, here in KC we expect everyone to make a go at openeing a BBQ joint at least once in ones lifetime.

That said, in my humble opinon the best BBQ sauce of all time its Gates. It is the house sauce of a highly respected BBQ joint here in town, and so popular that is sold regionally in some stores. It is also available online at:

http:/www.gatesbbq.com

I'd recommend the regular "Classic." I used to have my folks mail me bottles of this stuff when I was stationed in the Philippines... lots of converts out there now too.

I was just watching Food TV and there was an episode of Emeril Live on that was titled "Down home with Bourbon" and one his recipes was Bourbon BBQ Sauce... That prompted me to remember your post here Jeff. Anyway, here is the recipe he gave:

2 (14-ounce) bottles tomato ketchup

3/4 cup bourbon

1 tablespoon molasses

1 tablespoon Creole or whole grain mustard

1 tablespoon chopped garlic

1/2 cup chopped onions

1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger

Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth, about 15 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Pulse 2 or 3 times. Store in a sterilized container until ready to use.

They displayed some very popular bourbons to us such as Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey KY Spirit and Rare Breed, and the Small Batch Bourbon Collection from Jim Beam. Booker and Fred Noe were there as guests, but I thought it was odd how in several recipes right in front of them while open bottles of Bakers and Bookers were sitting there he kept using Makers Mark! Anyway, if anyone catches the episode it was OK. He made other things as well like Kentucky Burgoo but it looked more like soup to me, nothing like the wonderful burgoo I was treated to at the Talbot Tavern! Here's other times it will air again:

April 27, 2003 11:00 PM EST

May 03, 2003 3:00 PM EST

May 11, 2003 3:00 PM EST

And here's the other recipies from the episode:

Kentucky Burgoo

Bourbon BBQ Sauce

Classic New Orleans Bread Pudding with a Bourbon Sauce

Spiced Cream

Kentucky Bourbon Sauce

Grilled Shrimp with Sweet Potato Fritters

Thanks Mark.

I have seen this episode some time ago, but I didn't remember this recipe. I will try it this weekend!

Everything looks about right, to me. I think that would be some fine barbeque sauce.

Tim

Master Chef...Mark grin.gif

This is from "Our" Cooking with Bourbon...Evan Williams cookbook...

I have given this cookbook away, "Free" to to folks who visit the booth during the bourbon festival...It must be really good...I have folks to ask for one, (sometimes two), just from the recommendations of "others" who have tried the recipes...

Some of the recipes are award-winners from our cooking contest held every year at the Kentucky State Fair grin.gif ...

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

post-20-1448981117849_thumb.jpg

I'm going to have to try that recipe for the bourbon-baked beans at my next bbq, that sounds delicious! grin.gif I had never thought of putting some chili sauce and coffee(!) in there...

Hey man, this is Kentucky...and we'll throw in everthing but the Kitchen sink grin.gif

Ohhhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhh...day old coffee in baked beans...Try it dude and let me know if ya like it?

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I add Bourbon to store bought sauces. It's cheating but it really carries the sauce into the meat. I use just enough to thin the sauce and brush on up to 30 min before and during the cooking. To me it's best with the "sweeter sauces" like Bullseye, they have mollassas in them and are usually thicker to start. I also tend to add red pepper flakes. I do have a home made sauce and as soon as I get it from my head to paper I'll post it.

Cholly, that sounds like an excellent idea. Just take a sauce that you already know you like and add some bourbon to it.

<Smacks himself in the forehead> Why didn't I think of that?

Tim

I do like Cholly suggests, for some reason WT101 works like a champ. grin.gif

That's exactly what I do to make a 'mop' to use during the grilling...I start with either KC Masterpiece or Maul's BBQ sauce and add a few more 'secret inGREEDyants'. ~ 2 shots of sauce, a shot of bourbon, a shot of apple juice, and usually some chipotle or paprika/crushed red pepper/oregano. 5 minutes before the meat leaves the grill I add another shot of sauce to what's left of the 'mop', add a tablespoon of honey, brown sugar or molasses, and spread it all on & finish it off. I find that the sugar/honey/molasses thickened sauce 'chars' too much in the heat for my taste if I use it much earlier.

Spoken like a true Kansas Citian! Damn, y'all like sweet barbecue sauce.

Some of my favorites run to just peppers and vinegar, with little else.

Tim

Now you are talking! I cringed when I first moved to NC and saw what they called barbeque sauce. Now, it's my favorite.

I now have a smoker. I will put on a pork shoulder and make some vinegar-based sauce - ain't nothing finer.

Yeah Chuck..you got it... grin.gif

I've got a pit/grill combo with an offset box for smoking. It also has a rotisserie that I'm crazy about.

'Round here, we used to burn barrel staves to coals and do whole hogs in a makeshift concrete block pit (now, there's a party). Some of the vinegar/pepper finshing sauce ya'll were talking about...Ooouuuhh Baby! That flavor just can't be duplicated any other way.

What I do now, is cut barrel heads (or staves) into smaller chunks and soak 'em in liquid for about an hour, then toss them on the coals. I also have some barrel char I want to experiment with this season (a good buddy hooked me up... grin.gif ). I thought it would make great charcoal starter... smirk.gif I'll save you some.

Beej

One day, I'd like to be relaxed enough to tend to an offset smoker. Right now, I make myself too busy to sit and tend to a fire all day. So, I have a bullet smoker fired by gas. I set a steel box full of wet chips on top of the lava rocks to provide the wood smoke. Once I get the temp set on the grill, I can leave that sucker alone for over two hours until I need to add more chips or fill the water bowl. Ain't nothing country about this method, but it still makes some mighty fine tasting pork shoulder.

Barrel char would fit nicely into my little smoker box. Hmmm. Bourbon-enhanced pork. Can't wait!

I have a fancy grill that's about 15 years old. I bought the offset smoker to go with it, but I have never used it even once. I don't even remember the last time I saw it.

Just from reading the instructions, it looked like more trouble than it was worth. But, if you take the trouble, the results are supposed to be worth it.

Tim

• 1 year later...

I have been using this one for awhile, I cannot take credit for it:

3 cloves garlic minced

3 teaspoons of olive oil

1/2 onion minced

heat pan and sizzle minced onions and garlic until transparent

then add

1 1/2 cups Peach nectar

1 cup Bourbon (or as much as you see fit)

juice of one lime

3 tablespoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon corriander

2 tablespoons crushed red pepper

1/2 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons of worchestershire

add salt to your liking

bring to a boil and then simmer to desired thickness

excellent on pork and beef.

-gw

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff,

Did you get your passport from the Knob Creek Network?

There was an insert with recipes for BBQ sauce and a steak marinade. They look pretty good.

I'll post them if anyone wants them.

Bj

Yes I got that, though when I opened it I didn't have time to look at it closely and I just filed it away for later. Thanks for reminding me! toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.