Cigar boxes

CL
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My wife makes cigar box purses. If any of you smokers have empty wood boxes, please PM me if you are willing to donate or charge a reasonable fee for them. Of course, I'd pay shipping.

Please let me know if there is any gesture I can do for you in return, e.g., pick up some GTS in WV during my next trip.

post-120-14489811171464_thumb.jpg

CL,

I don't have any extra, but if I get some or come across someone willing to give them away I will snag them for you. It looks like your wife does good work. Does she sell them? If so, what would they go for? Does that price include any cigars? grin.gif

Thanks, Jeff.

My wife Cathy does do a great job. That's not husband bias speaking - that's feedback from her customers who really compliment Cathy on her work compared to other purses they have seen.

Best of all, she doesn't charge boutique prices. Most are $65. The range is $55 - $75. The leftmost two in the back row are still available, left to right, at $55 & 75, plus shipping, sans bourbon and cigars. Though, if you want, I can wave an open GTS bottle over them for good luck. grin.gif

The leftmost one in the front was for sale earlier today, but it is now on reserve for BettyJo's daughter. smile.gif

She sells these same purses outside Chicago (Glen Ellen) in a boutique for $98. The boutique is owned by her friend's mother. Her friend was making them with Cathy but the friend is taking a break from it now.

I can send you front, back, and inside photos of each of the purses if you want. Or maybe this weekend, I will finally get around to setting up a website to post them on. If you want the photos in email, tell me if you want full resolution (over 700Kbytes) or reduced size (about 100Kbytes). The photos here on SB.com are about 100Kbytes.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

C.L. - Why are the handles on the hinged end and the open end down? Is this a girl thing? Or are they just leaving a trail of panty liners to guide them back home??? confused.gif

CL,

Has anyone ever asked your wife to swap the postions of the hinge and clasp, to make it more convenient to open, while still keeping the artwork on the lid right-side-up while the purse is being carried?

How does she mount the handle; is reinforcement needed on the underside?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

while still keeping the artwork on the lid right-side-up while the purse is being carried

Ahh, I think that answers Linn's question and makes sense. I guess you could switch positions on some boxes, but not others with "piano hinges"

Normally, the original cigar box hinges are on what becomes the top of the purse. If you remove them, then there are marks left. Even if you repaired them, they would still be visible.

She normally replaces the original hinges with new hinges (covering up the original hinge marks). She also replaces the original clasp with a locking clasp so that the box doesn't fall open. So far, that plan has worked. No one has told us about a failing clasp.

Also, if you look at the photo of the inside of one of the boxes, you'll see a small piece of wood across what is the bottom of the purse. This keeps items from falling out.

The boxes are designed for occasional use, so we don't expect someone to carry anymore than the minimum needed. However, one of my coworkers uses hers daily and it has held up very well since she bought it in December.

As far as the handles go, she screws them on from the inside and then covers the screws with the inside lining.

You normally can't change positions because removing the old hinges leaves marks.

BTW, the Henry Clay purse (leftmost, back row) has the clasp at the top. I don't know how she did this. My guesses are (1) The box came that way or (2) the original hinge was paper and Cathy was able to neatly cut it and put metal hinges on the bottom.

As Mr. Spock used to say, "Fascinating". (Or as Dr. McCoy might have said, "Dammit, Jim, I'm a cigar smoker, not a cabinet maker".)

Pre-1983, when I had my next-to-last smoke (I'm hoping to have exactly one more someday, but I'm not sure when), I always felt uneasy about trashing my cedar Royal Jamaica boxes. Now, at last, I know why.

My compliments to your wife on her creativity and craftsmanship.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Nope, not a girl thing. I explained in my answer to bluesbassdad. Most have a shelf in them to keep the, uh, private things hidden and secure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.