Age stated Cognac

T Comp
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Clicking around on the internet and I learned that Courvoisier/ Beam Global has released 12 and 21 year minimum age stated cognacs in the UK as part of the Connoisseur Collection. This is being marketed as the first of the major cognac houses to release an age stated label. What's interesting to me is that Courvoisier (pre-Beam ownership) had the foresight more than 20 years age to develop a process, to monitor the age of their stock for this labelling, in accordance with what I'll assume are difficult regulations set forth by the controlling cognac trade organization, BNIC.

• 1 month later...

I once had a single-distillery cognac from house Hennessy that had an age statement of 16 years. It was something they were experimenting with, possibly in an attempt to convert some Single Malt drinkers. I guess it didn't work, since I haven't seen anything like that for years, until the new age-stated Courvoisiers.

• 3 months later...

I picked up a bottle of the Courvoisier 12yo and liked it a lot! The wood really came through. It tasted like limousin oak which is expected for cognac. Most cognacs barely have any wood flavor at all, this one is full of it. Most people used to drinking the smooth candy sweet taste and finish of typical cognac may not like this 12 yo as much as the typical Hennesey Courvoisier fare; the 12yo has a small bit of tannin bite which I welcome. Bourbon lovers will probably enjoy this more. I'm going back to get a couple more bottles.

I've got some 30 year old Marie Duffau Armagnac that is simply exquisite!

I had one of their younger ones (18? I can't quite remember). Very interesting spirit-- I could swear I got a whiff of bubblegum in the nose, with a hint of agave on the palate. I don't know how either is possible from a Grape Brandy, but there it is.

Enjoyed it thoroughly!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.