Woodford Master Cask Rye

Shell
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just noticed that the Woodford Reserve Master Cask Rye has recently been released. The State of MI price list posted the price (in early August) at $44.97 (+6% sales tax) - for a 375 ml bottle (as the minimum retail price in MI). It strikes me as a pretty high price.

Has anyone had the opportunity to sample this new Rye?

Good catch on this, I don't recall reading about it earlier on SB unless Chuck C mentioned it. It's part of the Masters Collection of WR I would think, or does "master cask" mean something else or in addition?

Chuck has some good information on a series of planned rye, and rye mash whiskey, releases from WR here:

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2010/08/woodford-masters-collection-future.html

This new one must be one of the two ryes mentioned.

Gary

Good catch on this, I don't recall reading about it earlier on SB unless Chuck C mentioned it. It's part of the Masters Collection of WR I would think, or does "master cask" mean something else or in addition?

Chuck has some good information on a series of planned rye, and rye mash whiskey, releases from WR here:

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2010/08/woodford-masters-collection-future.html

Gary

Yes, it seems to be one the ryes planned for a 2011 release in the Woodford Master series. I did a quick search, and could not find any reviews of it.

Chris Morris told us at the WR Bourbon Academy in April that this year's Master Collection will be a 100% straight rye, triple pot still distilled

2013 will be a single malt if I remember correctly

Gary

Herradura finished WR? That sounds... odd to say the least

Will it only be in a 375 ml bottle?

I couldn't find anything on Woodford Reserve's web site - other that a very brief paragraph about their Woodford Master Collection. In fact, the web site as a whole is quite non-informative.

foodrepublic.com had a 5/31/2001 post about it and wrote that the two Woodford Reserve Rare Rye Selections would come in 375 ml bottles. (See: http://www.foodrepublic.com/2011/05/31/5-new-high-proof-ryes)

I wonder if the WR guys have been reading these threads and took everyone's suggestion to put the Master's Collection in 375s

Which is actually kind of funny in itself. Herradura is owned by Brown-Forman, which also owns Jack Daniels, whose used barrels are used to age Herradura, which is now going to be used to age/finish WR??

And yes, WR is also in the B-F stable of brands also.

Whooow.....talk about coming full circle and recycling. At least the barrels probably are not completely spent by the time the come around to WR again, but they can't have that much oomph left in them.

Man, how cheap are they not to buy new barrels!!!

B

My thoughts exactly. From Jack, to Herradura, to Woodford?? Quite the sordid menage a trois

... At least the barrels probably are not completely spent by the time the come around to WR again, but they can't have that much oomph left in them.

B

I can't speak to the used tequila barrels, but used barrels for the rye whiskey (no doubt used bourbon barrels) is interesting. Remember that Scotch whisky, and Irish whiskey I believe, are all aged in used bourbon barrels. Some Canadian whisky is also aged in used Bourbon barrels.

It may give the rye whiskey a distinct flavor.

Which is actually kind of funny in itself. Herradura is owned by Brown-Forman, which also owns Jack Daniels, whose used barrels are used to age Herradura, which is now going to be used to age/finish WR??

And yes, WR is also in the B-F stable of brands also.

Whooow.....talk about coming full circle and recycling. At least the barrels probably are not completely spent by the time the come around to WR again, but they can't have that much oomph left in them.

B

I have never heard of whiskey aged in tequila barrels. Is there a taste profile they are looking for in the finish? I can't imagine what tequila would add...

Are there other examples of tequila barrels used for a whiskey?

I can't speak to the used tequila barrels, but used barrels for the rye whiskey (no doubt used bourbon barrels) is interesting. Remember that Scotch whisky, and Irish whiskey I believe, are all aged in used bourbon barrels. Some Canadian whisky is also aged in used Bourbon barrels.

It may give the rye whiskey a distinct flavor.

I'm just not sure that it would be a flavor that i'm looking for in my rye/bourbon.

While some well made, aged tequila products do contain similar, complementary flavor notes to bourbon, they also have that distinct tequila "note" that i'm just not into that much.

I think I'd like to try this before buying.

B

And tequila is originally aged in used bourbon barrels. So rye aged in a barrel that first contained bourbon, then tequila follwed by rye.

Randy

It was my understanding that they are making two types of rye one barrel entry 100 proof and the other with used cooperage and barrel entry of 86 proof and they were going to sell it as a single package of two 375 bottles. At least that is what Chris Morris was saying at the last Woodford Bourbon Academy.

Mike Veach

• 4 weeks later...

If you zoom in on the pic a little you can barely read the New Cask is a Kentucky Straight Rye whiskey while the Aged Cask is Whiskey Distilled From Rye Mash. I'm interested to try both. Going into it I would think the aged cask might be lacking some of the colors and flavors the new barrels provide. I'm not sure why I think that but should be interesting enough to find out.

Eight years, if I remember correctly.

They are the exact same whiskey except for the type of cask used. The great difference in the TTB designations is a function of the peculiarities of the rules. Because it is aged in used cooperage it can't be called straight and can't even be called 'rye whiskey,' and so the only prescribed designation that allows you to say 'rye' is 'whiskey distilled from rye mash.'

Eight years, if I remember correctly.

They are the exact same whiskey except for the type of cask used. The great difference in the TTB designations is a function of the peculiarities of the rules. Because it is aged in used cooperage it can't be called straight and can't even be called 'rye whiskey,' and so the only prescribed designation that allows you to say 'rye' is 'whiskey distilled from rye mash.'

The TTB rules for scotch and Irish say, in effect, "If the label is okay under Scottish (or Irish) law, it's okay with us." It definitely applies to U.S.-made whiskey, but there is a dispute right now about whether or not it should apply, for example, to English whiskey too.

I just noticed that the Woodford Reserve Master Cask Rye has recently been released. ... Has anyone had the opportunity to sample this new Rye?

Has anyone had the opportunity to try it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.