Is old National Old Overholt delicious?

humchan2k
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have the potential to acquire an old bottle of national distilled Old Overholt, but it could cost me a fair amount of $$$....has anyone here had any old National Overholt, like from the 50's or 60's? Would love to know if it's worthwhile, or if it's just a study in curiousity that might kill this cat.....

Thanks!

I just bought a bottle, and I think it's pretty darn good. Not life changing, but good. It's probably the 2nd best rye I've tasted behind Van Winkle Family RR, and in a tie with current RittBIB. But I've not had that many ryes.

It's a little more like Bulleit than RittBIB, in that the rye component is farther up front, that tangy, minty thing. But it's a little deeper and richer than Bulleit.

FWIW, my bottle is not that old (the bottle date is '88) and it's 86 proof.

What would I pay for it? It's really hard to say. I paid $15 for mine so it was a no brainer.

I have the potential to acquire an old bottle of national distilled Old Overholt, but it could cost me a fair amount of $$$....has anyone here had any old National Overholt, like from the 50's or 60's? Would love to know if it's worthwhile, or if it's just a study in curiousity that might kill this cat.....

Thanks!

When did they move the distillery from PA? I have an '80s ND bottle when it was made at the Old Grand-Dad distillery. It's much better than the current OO, but I wouldn't pay a lot for it (I also got it for about $15 on a dusty shelf). If it was PA OO, I would be willing to pay a lot more.

I have a pint bottle dated 1951/62 that I paid $66. for.

It's a "birthday bottle" I'll be opening next year so I can't

comment on the taste but maybe that pricing info will

help.

I'm not a big Rye fan but the special date suckered me

in and I probably paid more than "fair market value"

(whatever that means!)

When did they move the distillery from PA? I have an '80s ND bottle when it was made at the Old Grand-Dad distillery. It's much better than the current OO, but I wouldn't pay a lot for it (I also got it for about $15 on a dusty shelf). If it was PA OO, I would be willing to pay a lot more.

As I understand it, National was the distiller from pre-post prohibition, and then the brand was sold in the 60's when the whiskey market in general tanked.....but what I can say is that if you have an overholt bottle before the 70's or so, it's going to not be Grand-Dad distillate....I am certain that my exact dates are hazy, but I believe that National was the distiller from the label's inception until it's sale...but I'm sure Chuck Cowdery knows far better than I do......

I just want to know if I drop some $$$, will I get a bottle of whiskey that's at least worthwhile, or should I save my silver bullets for something bigger like VVOF or something....

Thanks y'all!

In my opinion, rye whiskey (or even bourbon) I've tasted from the mid-20th century is a different animal and hard to really compare with modern ryes. The further back you go, starting from the '50s the more American whiskey bears a distinct profile that is fuller, richer, medicinal (cough syrupy). To answer your question of purchase worth, either historically or experientially, I'd have to say yes to both criteria--depending on the price.

What kind of deal are you looking at? A quart of bonded Overholt? A pint of 86 proof? I would, and have, paid a moderate to high prices. 200 clams probably being too much that I wouldn't do it again.

Thanks for the input, everyone! I won't go into the bottle details until it's in my possession....we'll see if it all works out!

Cheers,

B~

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to get my bottle of Old Overholt, distilled in 1945, bottled in '57.....cracked that bad boy last night....Man, is it good stuff. At 100 proof, it has some heat to it, but it's so oily, viscous, and coats the glass beautifully and it even has a gorgeous color.

I'd say it's some of the best rye I've ever had!

I had to push the cork in, as it was all crumbled and soft..and then I ran it through a very tighy tea strainer to get all the cork out and transferred it back into the original bottle.

I have included a pic of the bottle, it's real purty:grin:

post-2987-14489817544229_thumb.jpg

I was able to get my bottle of Old Overholt, distilled in 1945, bottled in '57.....cracked that bad boy last night....Man, is it good stuff. At 100 proof, it has some heat to it, but it's so oily, viscous, and coats the glass beautifully and it even has a gorgeous color.

I'd say it's some of the best rye I've ever had!

I loved reading this! I have a bottle of 1951/62 Old O that I'm

holding onto to open next year. Nice to know that I may be in

for a treat & I only hope it tastes as good as yours does.

Trust me, Silverfish, you'll not be disappointed. I had to give myself three 2 finger pours of the stuff the first night, even though I didn't "want" to...it's that good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.