BOTM: 11/11 Old Ezra 101

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Looks like I'm late again. :rolleyes:

I once again took a suggestion from a member for this months BOTM. I haven't tasted this one, so no comments from me this time around. :bigeyes: Yeah I know. Big sigh of relief. :lol:

Cheers to all, and happy posting about Old Ezra 101. Joe

post-3455-1448981759004_thumb.jpg

This is one of my favorite "budget" Bourbons. I always have a bottle of this on hand.

It's a bit on the sweet side, but I like that. The 101 proof is a big plus over the 90 proof expression, IMO. Nothing challenging or complex about it, but it's a nice pour to just enjoy while sitting on the deck watching the dogs play or watching your favorite team on TV.

I must agree that I have never been disappointed with Old Ezra as a budget bourbon. It is a decent sipping bourbon much like ebo said.

I was well on my way to becoming a bourbon snob when I discovered the pleasures of the "lower shelf." I find a lot to like in AAA 10 YO, VOB, Charter 101, Fighting Cock, and Ezra 101.

The BOTM may not be Bookers or Blantons but I am always pleased to find some chocolate, vanilla, cloves, and citrus in Old Ezra 101. I also like the chewy texture. I am bunkering some against the day when the 7 YO goes to join the others in that great NAS in the sky. My wife likes it, too, so I don't even have to convince her that $13.69 is an reasonable expendure for the amount of pleasure it provices.

One of my favorite bourbons...at any price. The fact that it can be had for $15 is a bonus. I'll say it for the fortyeleventh time...Old Ezra is what WT 101 should be. Or, at least, was.

Ever since Evan Williams went NAS, I've always wondered if Ezra 101 isn't sort of the better route to take if you're looking for a HH budget bourbon.

I bought a bottle today to check it out, here are a few notes:

Nose: I expected heavy alcohol, but it's not really there. I get some floral honey, vanilla poundcake.

Palate: Very sweet, especially upfront. A full flavor, but sort of monochromatic. A little wood, maybe, but not much. The burn is there, but it's not offensive.

Finish: Pretty full. The hotness that I expected comes on a little, but it's not the burn you'd expect from a $16+ bottle of bourbon.

Conclusion: Hey, good stuff! I'd be happy to be sipping this around a fire camping, or on the rocks while I cook.

Good timing. I just opened a bottle of this the other day, before I read the thread. If this was more available I would ALWAYS have a bottle on hand. It is sweet, but with much more character that WT101 or OGDBIB.

One of my favorite bourbons...at any price. The fact that it can be had for $15 is a bonus. I'll say it for the fortyeleventh time...Old Ezra is what WT 101 should be. Or, at least, was.

Discovered this gem a few months ago. Haven't stopped buying bottles since then! This stuff is one of my go-to bourbons for those evenings when I want a sweet, simple sippin' whiskey!

Is this even distributed to CA? I've never seen it around here.

I have never seen it in SoCal either. I will have to ask around.

Scott

$13.95 in Ohio. Not much oak presence, but very smooth, not much burn even neat at 101. Pretty sweet, big mouthfeel, a lot of corm on the nose. The aroma/flavor combination while drinking reminded me of the white dog I tried after the BT tour. Not bad at this price, better than most entry levels that I've tried, but for $4.00 more you get into AAA.

Just picked up my first bottle of this. It's very nice for a value pour, and I'd say it holds up well to some more expensive bottles. Sweet nose with distinct banana notes. The palate has some roasted corn, while the finish is dry with some light oak. I'm very happy with this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Calvin's post on "Deals", I've got a couple of bottles coming from TPS to try out. Free shipping is a wonderful thing!

Gary

Thanks to Calvin's post on "Deals", I've got a couple of bottles coming from TPS to try out. Free shipping is a wonderful thing!

Gary

Holy Cow! I'm sure glad I read this!

• 3 months later...

Yep. Gotta agree that Old Ezra is a heck of a deal. It is very sweet, but has a richness and "thickness" to it that make the sweetness pleasant.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.