Sign in to follow this  
Josh

Eagle Rare and Benchmark Mashbills

Josh

So we know that both Eagle Rare and Benchmark are currently made at Buffalo Trace in Frankfort. We know that they were introduced by Seagram's and (at least partially in the case of Benchmark) made at Old Prentice/Four Roses. We also know that Iceland is in the North Atlantic and its capital city is Reykjavík.

So for the big cash prize, which of the 10 mashbill/yeast combinations were they made from when they were owned by Seagram's? Could they have even been a combination of multiple recipes like Four Roses is currently?

Anybody have any information or educated guesses?

cowdery

Interesting question and I don't know the answer. Charlie Beam developed the Eagle Rare profile while working for Seagram's in Maryland, I think it was. He subsequently moved to Four Roses and became master distiller there.

Josh

Would Jim Rutledge or Al Young or somebody else currently at Four Roses have that information?

cowdery

Either might, or might know who does. I'd start with Al, since he's the history buff. Wish I'd asked Charlie when I had the chance. I know Eagle Rare was positioned as a Wild Turkey alternative, but I don't know how much the recipe reflected that.

Josh

Well, I emailed Al a week ago with no response as of yet. I guess we'll have to put this one in the same category as "How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?"

sailor22

Which of the Seagram's yeasts was used might be as important a piece of information as what mash bill. One of the four that 4R currently owns?

Josh

Excellent point. I mentioned the yeast in my email to Al too.

cowdery

4R uses five different yeasts and may have access to others from the Seagram's portfolio.

Al will probably get back to you eventually. He loves this stuff.

Josh

According to Jim Rutledge:

Benchmark: V yeast. 66% E, 33% B mashbills (approx). Louisville plant only.

Eagle Rare: V yeast. Mix of E and B mashbills. Athertonville and Louisville plants.

T Comp
According to Jim Rutledge:

Benchmark: V yeast. 66% E, 33% B mashbills (approx). Louisville plant only.

Eagle Rare: V yeast. Mix of E and B mashbills. Athertonville and Louisville plants.

Cool...great geeky info for us bourbon nerds. They've always tasted very similar except for age (the Seagrams and early Sazerac stuff that is) and I sure wish the dusty Benchmark in the bunker was more than 80 proof too.

StraightBoston
Cool...great geeky info for us bourbon nerds. They've always tasted very similar except for age (the Seagrams and early Sazerac stuff that is) and I sure wish the dusty Benchmark in the bunker was more than 80 proof too.

If it's the old round bottle instead of the Benchmark Single Barrel (never mind McAfee's) then it will still be tasty. Not sure that even the Seagram's-labeled version was ever produced at higher than 86 proof.

Time to renew my quest for a L'ville ER 10/101!

Shuboy
Interesting question and I don't know the answer. Charlie Beam developed the Eagle Rare profile while working for Seagram's in Maryland, I think it was. He subsequently moved to Four Roses and became master distiller there.

cowdery

Charlie Beam finished his career at Four Roses. Yes, that's him on the Beam family tree, which I give Beam a lot of credit for doing.

tmckenzie

Chuck, wonder if there are still a number of Beams working in the industry now? Besides Parker and Craig.

cowdery

It's a very big family and there are members of it all over the industry, not necessarily distilling but in other capacities. Fred Noe's cousin, Jim Beam Noe, is a manager at Clermont. One of his responsibilities is the new visitor center. The guys who are starting Limestone Springs are Beams.

jaycamm

Eagle Rare 101 seems to be a sought after dusty. It would be cool if someone tried to recreate it using the appropriate 4R1B's.

Young Blacksmith

Interesting idea! You'd just need two bottles, the OBSV and OESV. I'd start by dropping them down to 100 proof, then mix at the benchmark ratio and adjust from there.

Too bad I can't get the OESV. The OBSV could be a standard off the shelf one barrel.

T Comp
Interesting idea! You'd just need two bottles, the OBSV and OESV. I'd start by dropping them down to 100 proof, then mix at the benchmark ratio and adjust from there.

Too bad I can't get the OESV. The OBSV could be a standard off the shelf one barrel.

I've got em both and may give this a try. Both Rutledge picks too. I only have about 2 ounces left of the OESV though and the OBSV is the 16 year which hasn't yet been opened.