WSJ article on Rye Whiskey

Shell
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm heading down to 79th and Stony and then on to Gary, IN to sweep up all the neglected VWFRR sitting down there, 'cause, like, that's where it apparently is, according to our intrepid WSJ reporter, whose ace fact-checking skills also helped him deduce that VWFRR is 40% ABV. My mind: consider it blown!

Hope this guy starts posting here ... we can really learn a lot from him, like how to regurgitate press releases and micro "distillery" misinformation!

Kills me that he can't even get the abv % correct on his supposed favorite bottling of VWFRR! What a doucher...;)

Kills me that he can't even get the abv % correct on his supposed favorite bottling of VWFRR! What a doucher...;)

I thought the same thing.

This just kills me.:slappin:

"Julian Van Winkle, president of the company, says smaller, less-trafficked shops are the best places to snag one."

Uhhh, generally these places don't even get the stuff. You ask and they look at you kinda funny and then tell you that they have a bottle of Beam rye that been sitting around for awhile. :lol: :lol:

B

I wish he'd had better fact checkers and leaned more on the transparency - Templeton, for example, being from LDI and the other rectifiers. Obviously the VWFRR proof being wrong is pretty significant.

I think he also missed the mark by not at least giving a basic list of the more readily available ryes: WTR, Bulleit, Jim Beam/Old Overholt, Rittenhouse & Baby Saz.

Could have covered all those in a paragraph, or done a side-bar on them.

The biggest problem I have is that it makes Rye seem so "hipster driven" and trendy, despite the fact it's several hundred years old at this point.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.