rye whiskey-the ultimate in flavor

Marvin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Rye whiskey is in a class all by itself. This is truly America's best tasting as it has all the multitudes of aroma that fruit has to offer. What I am tasting tonight is Wild Turkey Rye. The first aroma is the honey and honeycomb associated with WT and then the fruit takes over. On the palate your taste buds will just explode with the awesome flavor that follows through beautifully from the nose. And then the rye takes over, peppery and very pleasant to the taste. This is not hot as some writers would have you believe. The finish I find very long and lingering. I have read where the finish is too short, but I find this not the case. WT is one of the great, great whiskeys of the world and the epitome of what a rye should be. I thought of having a "shoot-out" among the ryes. The Van Winkle's 12 & 13 YO's and the Sazerac are all great and every liquor cabinet should have them all. The only rye that I have tried that is not to my liking is Beam and I just don't like licorice. Other people I have talked to just love it though. As you can see I have left a few out on purpose. I would like to see more taste postings on these fine ryes-just to compare them to bourbon.

Cheers,

Marvin

Is the WT the most economical (other than Beam) with the most bang for the buck? I have not bought a rye yet and just wonder if the WT would make a good, reasonably priced, first selection. From your post it sounds probable.

Jon,

Thanks for looking at the post and to answer your first question WT is not the cheapest, possibly the least expensive one is Old Overholt. To the next question the most bang for the buck is WT because it is everything a rye should be and you will thoroughly enjoy it. The other good ryes that I have purchased is the Van Winkle's 12 & 13 YO and the Sazarac from Buffalo Trace. All of these should be in your liquor cabinet as they are outstanding.

Cheers,

Marvin

Marvin,

I agree with you that ryes are wonderful. It continues to amaze me that so few people try this great spirit, and it bugs the hell out of me when I ask for it in a liquor store, and they show me Canadian Club! No wonder most people know so little about it! However, I enjoy the multitude of flavors that you noted in your first post. I still haven't opened my bottle of the Saz, but I absolutely love the VW Rye. It is super. I've only had the WT once, but I recall that I liked it a lot. The JB is a step or 2 down from the VW and WT, but not bad for the price. I haven't had the Old Overholt in awhile, but my recollection that it is good as well. The idea of a shoot-out between a number of these is a good idea.

Bob

Rye is definitely underrated--I'm surprised such a distinctly American spirit hasn't stayed popular!

Has anybody done a side-by-side tasting of Sazerac 18 vs. Van Winkle 13? I have them both and actually favor the VW...they're both excellent, but the Saz seems to have a distinct minty note to it which doesn't score points with me. Also, the ORVW is definitely more bourbonlike, which isn't such a bad thing!

Whoops! Found Linn's side-by-side shootout. Interesting reading.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.