Vinturi Spirit

vrocco
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My wife bought me one of these devices as a gift when he learned I wanted to get "into" bourbon drinking. I am too much of a newb to yet appreciate the subtle flavor changes it may help bring about, but from a newb taste point, it does help "soften" the burn when compared to a pour without it.

Has anyone else used this product? What do you think? I'm guessing most of the hardcores will say it is unnecessary and a waste of money that could be spent on another bottle. However, it was a gift for me, so I figured I might as well use it.

If anyone is really curious and doesn't want to spend the money, I'd be willing to do a passaround to established forum members if you want. I'm new here but hopefully it is acceptable to offer that.

If anyone doesn't have a clue what I am talking about, just Google "Vinturi Spirit" and you will find it.

I have one for wine that I received as a gift, I have used it a few times, I think it helps with bad wine. How different is it from a wine device, I imagine it is very similar, maybe smaller? I may try throwing some bourbon through my wine one.

Maybe some of the wheaters that open up with air will benefit, but I tend to think not much. Probably worth a blind taste test to confirm. I have a friend with one (for wine) that I may give a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking into this same device, but decided I'd rather have another bottle of bourbon instead. Also, just as an FYI for everyone, it looks like the spirit and wine Vinturis are a bit different, or at least they're marketed that way.

I have one for wine that I received as a gift, I have used it a few times, I think it helps with bad wine. How different is it from a wine device, I imagine it is very similar, maybe smaller? I may try throwing some bourbon through my wine one.

It is similar to the wine one. I don't know that it actually aerates any differently (are there different ways to aerate??)

However, it allows you to pour the liquor into the jigger on top (measured in 1, 1.5, & 2oz graduations) and then push a button on the side to release it into the glass. So you don't have to be over the glass while pouring. It won't go through until you push the button. If you already have one for wine, it's probably not worth buying another one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Really late to the party on this one - but got one to review a while back (no telling how long ago), but it wasn't high on my list.  Decided last night to give it a shot and setup a blind tasting of CB The Lost Blend - 1 oz pours, one through the Vinturi spirits aerator, and one just right from the bottle.  This bottle has been open for over a year, and was probably 90% full.  I was skeptical going in for sure, but damn - that goofy thing made a pretty significant difference . . . at the start.  When sitting down to nose, I started with (but didn't know it) the aerated sample, which was lovely (and a bit better than I recalled it being).  When I moved to the other, it was noticeably more muted/subdued (like one was at full volume, and the other was at 60%).  On the palate, it was a similar story, but to a lesser degree (maybe 80%).  I swirled the non-aerated sample in the glass for a bit, and stepped away for 10-15 min or so, and upon returning, the gap was closed even further.

I can see where I wouldn't want to pull this out and mess with rinsing it out constantly, but I may try this with whiskies that I'm not crazy about.  I hadn't tried it with other whiskies yet (had a plan to try this with a bourbon, rye, Irish, and scotch - but since it appears they've discontinued the product, I'm not going to bother).  And I don't know that I'd go out and buy one retail even if it were available.  But maybe for $2 at a garage sale :) 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.