Weller 12yr - Old Label

mrviognier
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In looking over old posts, it looks like Weller 12 went from the old paper label to the clear label & teardrop bottle around 2006-2007. Can one of you WLW experts confirm this? Is the old label especially rare these days?

I ask because a friend of mine wants to trade some. I love the 12yr & want to establish a fair price. Thanks in advance.

I can verify that I have a bottle of the 07' Weller 12yr and bought a bottle of 2010 release. There is a difference between the two as the newer bottles now have a crossed "wheat" embossed logo in the upper bulb of the bottle.

Price is subjective though because I paid 19.99 for the 07' bottle (which is the regular price where i buy) and I paid 23.99 for the 2010 bottle from a different store.

My 07' bottle is almost gone and it tasted terrible when I first cracked it open, but now that it's had a year to semi-breath it now tastes better.

Just my two cents.

In looking over old posts, it looks like Weller 12 went from the old paper label to the clear label & teardrop bottle around 2006-2007. Can one of you WLW experts confirm this? Is the old label especially rare these days?

I'm certainly no expert but I joined SB in 2009 and the OWA/SR

bottle/label switch came after that - I'm thinking within the last

year or two. The W12 NAS thread is here (Jan. 2012) and the

other Weller bottle switch thread(s) are probably a few months

earlier in some forum (I didn't see them in GBD).

That said, the paper labels are no longer available and the "clear

label" age stated bottles seem to be on the way out so both of

those may have some "collectible value" as far as trades go.

I'm certainly no expert but I joined SB in 2009 and the OWA/SR bottle/label switch came after that - I'm thinking within the last

year or two. The W12 NAS thread is here (Jan. 2012) and the

other Weller bottle switch thread(s) are probably a few months

earlier in some forum (I didn't see them in GBD).

I believe you mean the WSR NAS thread, not W12. At least I hope so...

When the KBS bottled their Barrel of the year and 3 other S-W barrels, the old grey paper label was still being used on the Weller 12. That was December 2005. The new clear bottles were introduced very shortly after.

I believe you mean the WSR NAS thread, not W12. At least I hope so...
Beat me to it JW. The Weller 12 is still 12 years old. The OWA and Weller SR are the ones that have lost the age statement.

Sorry about that - if I had included the

intended link, I might've caught my goof.

What type of trades are you considering? Personally, I've been unable to detect much of a difference in taste between the paper/decal labels, though I prefer the look of the older bottles. (But then I always do.)

Nothing's been decided on trading stock yet. I just wanted to find out if there was an appreciable difference/value of one bottling from another, and when they stopped using the paper label.

When the KBS bottled their Barrel of the year and 3 other S-W barrels, the old grey paper label was still being used on the Weller 12. That was December 2005. The new clear bottles were introduced very shortly after.

I believe all the label and bottle changes occurred over a four to five year period. As Dave stated, the old square bottle with the shoulder space and paper label was still being used in late 2005. The bottle was changed shortly after that to the teardrop bottle with the embossed wheat stalks. I believe it was late 2009 or early 2010 when the bottle changed again to the teardrop bottle without the embossed wheat stalks. Most of my Weller 12's are from 2009 and have the embossed wheat stalks on them. I purchased a couple of Weller 12's recently, and the bottles aren't embossed.

post-3455-14489817751546_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.