This might just be crazy...

StraightNoChaser
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am rarely let down when I combine two things I like. For instance, chocolate and peanut butter. Or shotguns and zombies. Or cocaine and hookers. Or... beer and whiskey?

How could you go wrong!? Surely within the vast range of flavor profiles presented between beer and whiskey there are pleasant contrasts that can occur from the right pairing.

I've heard that beer cocktails are going to be a trend soon... I already had one at a local bar with UFO Hefe, spiced rum and velvet falernum. It was decent but more importantly it got me thinking about combinations of beer and whiskey that could benefit from being mixed together.

Some experimentation is in order. I'm getting ready to crack open an Avery Maharaja Imperial IPA. I think a small touch of rye will play nicely with the crisp hops. Expect a report by tomorrow.

PS I do not approve of "bombs" "depth charges" or "boilermakers" as they are not really intended to be enjoyed and savored the way I do a good beer or whiskey.

Ok my first experiment didn't work out the way I'd hoped. I think I used too powerful of an IPA and that inevitably covered up all chance of tasting the whiskey underneath it. I could have added more whiskey but I was afraid of ruining two good things with a heavier pour. Tried it with RittBiB btw

I like to drop a shot of BT into an IPA. Ones that have worked for me, have been Lagunitas Lil Sumpin, and Bell's Two Hearted. Have fun experimenting.

I have had a couple if IPA's with bourbon. Never enjoyed a single one of them. I find the brown ales work much better to my tastes and prefer it with a Wheater. I use enough to taste and not really bring beer proof up too much.

I had a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale tonight. My neighbor was nice enough to give me one from the couple of cases he brought back the last time he was in Kentucky.

The barrel aging is really evident. It was an interesting beer! I enjoyed it, though I don't think I would want it as a daily drinker.

I've never had a successful whiskey/IPA pairing either. I've found that, for my tastes, stouts and porters mix best with bourbon. A local brewery produces a hickory smoked porter that goes well with a wheater.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.