What rye are you enjoying Spring 2012?

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A tiny bit of RittBIB, then a bit more ND-era Old Overcoat. Both are good. The Overcoat is opening up and showing a little more rye flavor. Initially, it was maybe tasting almost like a rye-heavy bourbon. This time I got a little more of that spice.

All this talk of Rittenhouse BIB has gotten me thinking about tonight's choice of beverage. And to think I was able to buy the stuff for $14 as recently as two years ago! Still a great value at $18-$20 around here.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it looks like this thread needs a bump. Here is the trio I have been enjoying as of late:

photo-1.jpg

The Saz is, as always, superb. I love the floral and grassy notes, add in that outstanding finish and you have a winner. Saz 18 is still my favorite whiskey - Stitzel-Who? Wheated what?

The Vintage 21 is also outstanding - lots of wood, but in a good way. Not sure that I can say it is better than VWFRR, but I would probably put the two on par.

To my palate lately, the Handy has been good, but not nearly on the same level as the two other whiskeys mentioned here. I am picking up caramel sweetness which I am not caring for - makes a great Manhattan though. Having tried the Bowman, I know the potential the Handy had. This should be a lower-priced regular offering; aged only 6.5 years, it seems BT could easily ramp up production.

After I finish off the Handy, which will be any day now, High West Rendezvous will make the rotation. I might also have to crack a WT 101 rye - even though I don't have a WT 81, a glass of dirty tap water sounds like it might make a good substitute for a side by side WT comparison.

Had very generous pours of Baby Saz and Saz 18 at Alembic yesterday evening. The place is looking a little rougher as they prepare a larger dining area next door, but it's still a treat as the pours are hefty, the selection great, and the bar staff is always friendly. Wish we had a place like this at home!

I have been enjoying the Willett 5YO CS rye... very nice rye that has the mint well under control... to the point you wonder if it really is LDI......

I have been enjoying the Willett 5YO CS rye... very nice rye that has the mint well under control... to the point you wonder if it really is LDI......

Just killed a bottle of the Willett 5 year rye while helping my wife with her Ph.D. thesis. Some help I am!

Just killed a bottle of the Willett 5 year rye while helping my wife with her Ph.D. thesis. Some help I am!

If her thesis was on alcohol consumption then you likely helped quite a lot!

HW 21yr (very generous friend) and had a pour of VBT #384 a little earlier.:cool:

Was fortunate to obtain a Jefferson's 10 yo rye that i am thoroughly enjoying! Nose is minty, lemongrass, earthy. Initial taste has an oiley feel as it wets your tongue with subtle vanilla leading to moderate lemon zest with hints of spice that lasts all he way through the long finish. Will definetly purchase again when I have the opprotunity.

My first Saz 18, expensive but solid pour @ Congress St Social Club - Savannah, GA. But heck, you only get married once, or in my case, twice......hopefully.

High west double rye tonight. Not the first time I've had it. The nose was not agreeing with me tonight, but the rest was good.

High West 16 ... local overpriced place has a half bottle for $50 and yeah, I bought it. Good but not great and not really worth it. Tastes like Saz 18 left to go flat in the back of my cabinet.

Followed by PS Willett 5 year LDI, 118.8 proof.

Loss of WT 101 aside, I think we're experiencing a young rye Renaissance. I haven't had a bad young Willett rye yet.

A short pour of Hirsch 13YO black wax rye as I grilled up some salmon on the BGE...... It will be a sad day when this bottle runs dry...

On vacation near Myrtle Beach, SC, my carefully packed VWFRR made the trip intact, but it did not fare as well last night. After only pouring himself one drink of the rye (over ice, btw), my cousin went back to his bottle of Rebel Yell for the rest of the evening. There's about 1/4 of the VWFRR left today. Usually, I pour from many bottle in an evening, and I wasn't really aware that it can add up to 3/4 of a bottle...

The RY actually wasn't that bad. The small taste I had of it was not offensive. Wasn't very good (reminded me of a younger, more paint thinner-y Maker's), but it wasn't as nasty as I've been led to believe.

The VWFRR was, of course, really, really good. I would have preferred to drink less of it last night, but whattaya gonna do?

Hidden

2 days to go, in Savannah at the B&B. They have wine and hors d'oeuvres from 4:30-6:00. I'll be drinking a mini Old Fitz BiB, spring '67-fall'73. As much as I get pissed about the availability of rare release bottles and then seeing them on eBay, it is a good way to taste old bottlings via minis.

Well done, Aaron. Well done.

I feel like we need a term for the debauched process of drinking way too much of an amazing whiskey in one night.

I might suggest the term: "AaronWF'd."

As in: "Oh, man, Bob opened that bottle of VVOF the other night. At first he was sipping small pours but they kept getting progressively larger such that when he woke up the next morning, he realized that he totally AaronWF'd that bottle. So he's been on eBay obsessively looking for another ..."

Keep in mind, this is not a pejorative term -- it's an honorable term. To have AWF'd a bottle is to have drunk deeply, soulfully, and well.

I plan to AWF -- with AWF -- some serious shit in a few weeks at my wedding. A Willett 24 rye comes to mind!

I feel like we need a term for the debauched process of drinking way too much of an amazing whiskey in one night.

As in: "Oh, man, Bob opened that bottle of VVOF the other night. At first he was sipping small pours but they kept getting progressively larger such that when he woke up the next morning, he realized that he totally AaronWF'd that bottle. So he's been on eBay obsessively looking for another ..."

Keep in mind, this is not a pejorative term -- it's an honorable term. To have AWF'd a bottle is to have drunk deeply, soulfully, and well.

I plan to AWF -- with AWF -- some serious shit in a few weeks at my wedding. A Willett 24 rye comes to mind!

Willett 24!? Wedding in a few weeks? Congrats, Soda-man. Have fun and best wishes to you and your partner!

Thanks. It's June 30, and I'm marrying up, as they say. By which I mean she's smarter and better looking than me. So I'm a lucky dude.

We're working on the cocktail menu now. Future sister-in-law made a rhubarb shrub that pairs deliciously with the Party Source Willett 5 year, so that may be the rye my guests will be enjoying Summer 2012.

Soda, congratulations on the wedding and condolences on that bottle of Willett 24 that will be emptied. Wait, is that the other way around,...condolences on the wedding and congrats on the Willett? Now I'm confusing myself.:lol: Just kidding, congratulations on both and best wishes to you and your future wife.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

I just poured a Rittenhouse 100 in honor of my 100th post.

Congrats Will. Glad to have you here.

:toast:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!