Knob Creeek Rye - Award Winner

silverfish
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, I guess that ups my excitement a little but the award givers aren't always right

• 2 weeks later...

KC rye arrived here in PA. Bought a bottle and I enjoy it quite a bit. I'd say it's about 6-8 years old and reminds me an awful lot of WT 101 rye. It's really good stuff actually.

KC rye arrived here in PA. Bought a bottle and I enjoy it quite a bit. I'd say it's about 6-8 years old and reminds me an awful lot of WT 101 rye. It's really good stuff actually.

I'm looking forward to its national rollout like you wouldn't believe. I wonder whether this was a special distillation, or just extra-aged honey barrels of what bcomes Overholt and Beam Rye....but I've yet to have a bottle of KC that wasn't stellar, and I'm sure their rye will be likewise.

Something to replace WT 101 rye during the drought is most welcome. There just isn't enough rye available at 100-ish proof. Rittenhouse BIB is the only other one I can think of.

• 2 months later...

Hmmm...end of July now and STILL NO KC Rye here in southern Arizona. I am frustrated!

I don't know about the award winning quality of it, but I'm a fan. I'll definitely purchase another bottle.

I was ho-hum when I first opened it, but it's really been growing on me. Very good in cocktails too, if you go in for that sort of thing. I made a batch of Rock & Rye with it and got very good results. For once the SF people may have gotten it right.

Isn't the SF competition the event where they have like 1000 entries and give out about 800 medals?

I do like KC Rye but not at its price point in MI.

Edited by The Boozer

We have plenty of it around these parts, but there's simply to many other things lined up in front of it.

If I ever see it out in a bar I'll give it a whirl and go from there.

This same thought punched me in the face while trying it. I found myself thinking that this must be what 7 year old WT101 rye would taste like. Upon the initial nosing, I experienced an emotion similar to that feeling which is invoked by seeing an ex-flame after many years of absence. She looks like an older version of...

Have I been too hard on Beam Rye?

passed on this the other day, store had a large stocked display of it. Having a hard time springing for it when I think it will not live up to the current Willett 4-5yrs ryes n the market, and a a much better price!

B

Isn't the SF competition the event where they have like 1000 entries and give out about 800 medals?

I do like KC Rye but not at its price point in MI.

Especially now that it's gone up to $45 a bottle!!

passed on this the other day, store had a large stocked display of it. Having a hard time springing for it when I think it will not live up to the current Willett 4-5yrs ryes n the market, and a a much better price!

B

Beam rye and the Willet green wax ryes are very different styles. It would be like comparing Four Roses Single Barrel to Elmer T. Lee. Yes both are bourbons, but they taste nothing alike.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.