What cocktail are you enjoying Spring/Summer 2012?

sob0728
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sounds similar to Manhattans neighbor, the Brooklyn, that I had last night. Bourbon, WT in this case, dry vermouth, maraschino, and bitters....very tasty, a little lighter and sweeter than your average Manhattan-perfect for a summer night.

Enjoyed several Brown Derby's yesterday (1.5 oz bourbon, 1 oz fresh grapefruit juice, 0.5 oz honey syrup), which I made with Wathens. These were a big hit and a really nice way to enjoy bourbon on a scorching hot day.

After a good long run and cutting the grass, I figured it was cocktail time on this hot scorcher of a day. Threw together some Four Roses Yellow Label, SanPellegrino Limonata, Bitter Truth Lemon Bitters, and Grand Marnier, over a heaping glass of ice. Put on the water mister, and relaxed in the sun. Ahhhh....very nice....Now, it's din-din time...

So damn hot up here that only a tall rye and ginger hits the spot if I am outside....

Made a few highballs today - ice, Pechyaud's bitters, ginger ale, and :

RR Rye - great taste, rye and ginger ale were made for each other!

Berhneim WW - not so great, but a decent way to use up open bottles I just don't visit that often.

After much bourbon and rye last evening at the GBS meeting, today I changed things up with a nice cold Negroni made with Carpano Antica vermouth (excellent in a Manhattan, also).

• 2 weeks later...
Pimm's Cup anyone?

Would be good while watching the London games.

Yes please! I like to add a little extra gin.

• 2 weeks later...

It's summer time drinks boys! Rum runners, Green Gators, and Funky Monkeys in a gallon jug available on pool days here at our house!!

Summer are plenty of Gin and Tonics, Fizzes, Mojitos since the mint I am growing is hitting gang busters, then the bourbon is getting used up in Old Fashioneds. Never tire of an old fashioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried some French 75 coctails last night with the No 3 Gin. Turned out to be excellent pre-dinner drinks.

Tried some French 75 coctails last night with the No 3 Gin. Turned out to be excellent pre-dinner drinks.

I made a copule of these for the girlfriend (who is on a sparkling wine kick) this past weekend as well. She really enjoyed them.

Went to a restaurant and had what they call a Crimson Creole. It was goo but a little sweet. So I went back home and tinkered with their recipe and came away with a real winner.

Restaurants Version:

Makers Mark

Orange Juice

Ginger Ale

Creole Bitters.

My Version:

Fill rocks glass 2/3 with ice

OWA 107 about (50% filled about 3oz)

Grand Marinier (Add a little less than 1oz)

4-5 Drops of Creole Bitters

Club Soda (Fill remainder of rocks glass) and stir gently.

My version is clean and light with a really nice flavor to it. Definitely happy with the end result has been my go to summer drink now for the last 2 weeks, I can't get enough. I defintely recommend giving it a try. If you do let me know what you think it

what is creole bitters? a brand or a general type? Sounds pretty good to me!

what is creole bitters? a brand or a general type? Sounds pretty good to me!

Ya the creole is a type of bitters. I bought a little sampler box from our local pusher and it had it in there with a few other types. After quite a few glasses of this drink the creole does have a pretty unique flavor that pairs really well with the orange liquour and well anything pairs well with good bourbon. :-)

Anyhow, I had another one last night and I gotta say this is definitely a winner for me.

Creole Bitters are a top shelf version of Peychaud. Different but similar.

I'm enjoying a Manhattan with Knob Creek Rye. Finally arrived in NYC. Passed it up at 46 dollars downtown and then walked into an uptown shop that had it for 23.99. At that price, I'll buy multiple bottles. Must be some kind of introductory promotional price (or mistake); get them hooked at 24 and then jack the price up to 35 plus. I've been stockpiling the WT 101 rye at the mid-20 mark and passed up a few bottles at 20 the other day. My initial impression is that the KC rye has a thicker mouthfeel and a little more mint in the mix. A very nice rye priced in the mid-20s. Not 10+ dollars better than WT 101. The only trick is finding the WT.

http://vermouth101.com/images/cocchi-vermouth.jpg

Using this vermouth.

http://www.tillenfarms.com/Bada-Bing-Cherries/p/TIL-00021&c=TillenFarms@Cherries

And these cherries.

http://bokersbitters.co.uk/bokers_ver2.html

And these bitters.

It all works together very well.

-Mike

Edited by scratchline
Grammar

I'll be visiting NYC in October. If the KC is still available for $24 (or the WT is available for any price), I'll need to hit you up for the address. :searching:

Myself, I'm trying to perfect the Sazerac. It looks like I prefer it on the rocks. Not traditional, I know, but it makes for a nice cool down on a hot summer night. I can't get the Herbsaint rinse right. I keep spilling it over the rim which makes a sticky mess. Oh well, I'll never be a bartender I guess.

Had an interesting cocktail while out the other night, called a Cin-Cin. Not sure about the spelling. Equal parts Cynar, rye, and sweet vermouth, with bitters, shaken and served up with a burnt lemon peel. Pretty cool drink.

Just a couple of fabulous margaritas with dinner last night which really hit the spot after a long, hot day here in Chicago. Really looking forward to some autumnal evenings which are hopefully just around the corner.

Creole Bitters are a top shelf version of Peychaud. Different but similar.

I'm enjoying a Manhattan with Knob Creek Rye. Finally arrived in NYC. Passed it up at 46 dollars downtown and then walked into an uptown shop that had it for 23.99. At that price, I'll buy multiple bottles. Must be some kind of introductory promotional price (or mistake); get them hooked at 24 and then jack the price up to 35 plus. I've been stockpiling the WT 101 rye at the mid-20 mark and passed up a few bottles at 20 the other day. My initial impression is that the KC rye has a thicker mouthfeel and a little more mint in the mix. A very nice rye priced in the mid-20s. Not 10+ dollars better than WT 101. The only trick is finding the WT.

http://vermouth101.com/images/cocchi-vermouth.jpg

Using this vermouth.

http://www.tillenfarms.com/Bada-Bing-Cherries/p/TIL-00021&c=TillenFarms@Cherries

And these cherries.

http://bokersbitters.co.uk/bokers_ver2.html

And these bitters.

It all works together very well.

-Mike

Those are some decent prices, and the cocktail sounds terrific. I'm with you on the KC Rye. At $24 it's excellent value for money but once they jack the price, maybe not so much. Like so many others, I still can't understand why WT knocked off their delicious and highly affordable rye. What a shame.

Made a couple of Manhattans using Cinzano Rosso,Willett 117.6prf.,Peychaud's Bitters and White and Shaw Maraschino cherries.The proof of the Willett rye played quite nicely with the sweetness of the cherries and vermouth,proving to be delicious and surprisingly balanced given the high proof of the rye.

• 3 weeks later...

This recipe caught my eye, the Oaxaca Old Fashioned:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/08/the-oaxaca-old-fashioned-cocktail-tequila-mezcal-recipe.html

Called for two ingredients that I didn't have on hand, but didn't mind picking up some mezcal and Bitterman's mole bitters.

Whipped one up this evening and fell in love. Strong, sweet, spicy, smoky, and smooth.

• 3 weeks later...

Lazing around on a coolish, dark, on-and-off light rainy day, with my first ever Dry Manhattan. 2.5:1 SB 1792 bourbon to Dolin dry vermouth, 2 shakes Bitter Truth Lemon Bitters, and a twist of lemon. Nice cocktail. Much nicer, as while I type this, the Falcons just kicked a game-winning FG over Carolina w/5 seconds left on the clock, after starting the drive from their own 1 yd line and less than a minute to go...I guess all of these factors means it's time for another!

That sounds good, with a Dry Manhattan, it is good to go a little easy on the vermouth and use a rich bourbon, which this does.

I've got a 1:1 blending of my own blend of (30+) rums and Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum. The Black is a 47.3% ABV ratchet up of the regular Captain Morgan Spiced Rum. The label states it is finished in "double charred blackened oak" - not quite sure what that is. I was a little disappointed in the Black, the rum flavor seems well in the background and the top notes I get are sweetness, bitterness from the quassia and a cinnamon or nutmeg note. It's okay, but I wanted more rum character, hence the blending, which is much better, IMO. What made it a cocktail is a splash of soda and Stirring Orange Bitters (same bottle Wade pointed me to in Santa Rosa some years ago). Pondering on it further, not sure it's a cocktail. But it's good. :)

Gary

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!