Smoked Salmon

bllygthrd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My future son-in-law and I smoked a whole Scottish salmon and a whole Norwegian salmon yesterday. Paired it with W. L. Weller Special Reserve [during the smoking and with dinner]. The smoked salmon skin was incredible.

That sounds fantastic. What'd you smoke it with?

It's been awhile since I've eaten salmon skin. I think I'll give it a try again soon. Crispy salmon skin like you get in Japanese restaurants is addictive. Smoke can only improve it.

Cheers!

I like both hot smoked and cold smoked salmon done with alder... very mild wood. Also does a great job on steelhead.

I like both hot smoked and cold smoked salmon done with alder... very mild wood. Also does a great job on steelhead.

Agreed.

I'm doing hot smoked salmon at this moment. Tails and bellies from two sides that I portioned out for future dinners.

I poured a bit of bourbon on the salmon and then hit it with some Dizzy Pig Raging River and Tsunami spin rub along with some maple syrup and demerara sugar then tossed into the smoker over apple wood smoke.

Eat it straight up and the leftovers used for salmon salad

post-645-14489817987977_thumb.jpg

post-645-14489817988211_thumb.jpg

We used apple wood, and it was a warm smoke. His smoker is a horizontal two stage smoker, and we used plenty of ice to cool the smoke from the burn chamber to the smoke chamber ... but, the smoke chamber still hovered around 125-150F. We dry smoked it, deciding not to use any type of mop or liquid bath [although I'm sure the ice quench added some humidity to the smoke] ... just relying on a pre-brine, rinse and dry before putting it in the smoker. We did coat the skin with EVOO ... so it would develop a nice crispy texture.

Agreed.

I'm doing hot smoked salmon at this moment. Tails and bellies from two sides that I portioned out for future dinners.

I poured a bit of bourbon on the salmon and then hit it with some Dizzy Pig Raging River and Tsunami spin rub along with some maple syrup and demerara sugar then tossed into the smoker over apple wood smoke.

Eat it straight up and the leftovers used for salmon salad

Salmon bellies ...... now I am officially hungry.... ocean butter!!!

We used apple wood, and it was a warm smoke. His smoker is a horizontal two stage smoker, and we used plenty of ice to cool the smoke from the burn chamber to the smoke chamber ... but, the smoke chamber still hovered around 125-150F. We dry smoked it, deciding not to use any type of mop or liquid bath [although I'm sure the ice quench added some humidity to the smoke] ... just relying on a pre-brine, rinse and dry before putting it in the smoker. We did coat the skin with EVOO ... so it would develop a nice crispy texture.

Fantastic, thanks for the reply. I never mop salmon or any fish unless I'm going for a Teriyaki glaze.

Haven't tried apple for salmon but I just got a bunch and will put it to use soon. Also got some maple from a tree that was shading one of my gardens that will get split and dried for use this fall.

If you're into hot peppers, try smoking/roasting some over wood until they're dry and grind 'em up over pizza, etc. Also great in moderation on salmon.

Cheers!

I have also been cold smoking salmon. I have done dry cures like gravlax smoked and unsmoked and Cigarnv turned me on to the wet brine method a few years ago which has been my most used method or prepping the salmon for smoking. I've also played around with combos of wet and dry cures which really work well to give a little more texture than wet brine alone.

Nothing like some cold smoked salmon to start the day on a royal note.

post-645-14489817993404_thumb.jpg

I have also been cold smoking salmon. I have done dry cures like gravlax smoked and unsmoked and Cigarnv turned me on to the wet brine method a few years ago which has been my most used method or prepping the salmon for smoking. I've also played around with combos of wet and dry cures which really work well to give a little more texture than wet brine alone.

Nothing like some cold smoked salmon to start the day on a royal note.

Now you have me hungry Alan ........ may have to make a run to the fish monger today.....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.