And for my next rye??

JLH3
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So, what would y'all suggest for my next rye. I've been lucky enough to get a bottle of 2011 Sazarac, 2011 Handy and a Willett 3 yr old 115 proof.

Of course the Saz was amazing and after that I think I like the Willett more than the Handy. But they are all very good.

So, from that limited foundation, where should I head next?

I'm a fan of High West Rendezvous. It took some time for the bottle to settle down right after I opened it, though. I am also a big fan of the HW Bourye if you can track down a bottle.

Baby Saz, Rittenhouse BIB, and Wild Turkey 101 are usually on cocktail duty in my bar, but they make fine sippers as well. Of those 3, Rittenhouse is my favorite.

You're off to a great start. You might try Jefferson's or WhistlePig (same source, different proofs and price points). You might also ask the mods to move this topic to the rye forum, where it will probably get more rye-obsessed eyes on it.

If you want to go with a completely different house style than what you have tried, go with the Knob Creek Rye. It's more of a "biting spice" rye than the others. Similar to the now defunct Wild Turkey Rye 101. Personally, I adore the Baby Saz Rye. But, since the Handy didn't hit your rye R-spot, I'm thinking that should be later, since they share the same mashbill.

:toast:

I have some WT81 Rye that you should consider :slappin:

Personally I've yet to find a rye I like better than Handy, but if you liked their 3 yr old, I'd look for some 4/5/6 yr old versions. I do like the Willett products I've tried!

I like Russel's Reserver 6 year rye a lot as a more daily pour. It's pretty cheap and readily available compared to things like the Saz 18.

Thanks for all the replies!

I opted for a bottle of OBD BiB on my last trip so I'll have to keep my eye open for one of these next time around.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.