Two Stars Bourbon??

Tico
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nothing says "quality" like 2 stars! Even Morningstar won't give a mutual fund anything less than 3 stars.

Nothing says "quality" like 2 stars! Even Morningstar won't give a mutual fund anything less than 3 stars.

That was my reaction. You gotta wonder how much bourbon they had been drinking at the marketing meeting where that one emerged as the best name. What could the other ideas have been?

• 4 years later...

Bumping this one up because of a couple of recent posts.

Joe

This reminds me of a dry cleaners I used to pass by frequently called "Decent Cleaners."  It was probably a "lost-in-translation" thing, but it always made me laugh.  "We're gonna be honest with you, we're not great, but you could also do worse."

• I like it 1

Two Stars is TW speak for 'PLONK" - not worthy of even 1 star for a rating.  Funky aftertaste with no redeeming qualities.  JMHO.   :ph34r:

And the two stars refers to the City of Louisvile, KY municipal flag as I mentioned in another thread.  Probably rejected VOB that wasn't good enough to be labeled with a recognizeable brand name.  Buy AAA10 or JWDant instead - less money better spent.   Trust me . . . . . .  :P

• I like it 1

It's a "Spirits Direct" product at TW&M and is listed as a "small batch bourbon".  Good profit margins so they push it like crazy in Phoenix.  $19 / 750 ml. I'm not interested.

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, Darwin said:

It's a "Spirits Direct" product at TW&M and is listed as a "small batch bourbon".  Good profit margins so they push it like crazy in Phoenix.  $19 / 750 ml. I'm not interested.

I'm always interested when people refer to a company's "profit margin" here, when discussing a particular bourbon.  It suggests some intimate insider info, to me.  Do you have some corporate numbers from TW&S that you will share?

• I like it 1

52 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I'm always interested when people refer to a company's "profit margin" here, when discussing a particular bourbon.  It suggests some intimate insider info, to me.  Do you have some corporate numbers from TW&S that you will share?

Just going off of what their employees tell me.  Feel free to challenge that if you wish.

Edited by Darwin

19 minutes ago, Darwin said:

Just going off of what their employees tell me.  Feel free to challenge that if you wish.

The same employees who are "pushing it like crazy"?!   :lol::lol:  

I have learned from my years in business, that the concepts of "profits" and "profit margins" are difficult to determine and very subject to interpretation at times...

• I like it 1

Well, don't we want them to have some profit on the sale of product anyway? They're in the business of making money, just like most of us. 

Pat

Bringing over fron the Liquor Store Huh thread.  Stopped by TW today to pick up a few and give the Two Stars pot a stir.  Finally got someone's attention who then got someone else's.  

All I'm looking for is some sort of company confirmation that TS is a wheated bourbon like the local is currently advertising with hand scribbled note cards taped by all the wheated bourbons, including Two Stars. I personally haven't found anything, but would think this oughta be fairly simple for the store that's advertising it.  First quick response was - Well it is because the trainer said it is, and why would he lie.  A little more polite pushing got to not wanting to disclose sources (Sazerac) even though that's easily found with a quick goggle or two (Saz website only notes the brand name in their portfolio list).  After some additional (failed) googling on his phone, the sales associate offered to get back to me later if I'd leave my email.  Waiting to see if I get a reply back in a few days....

• I like it 1

With some of these brands, the distiller isn't on the label.  One company can own a brand and source barrels from wherever.  All we really know from the label for sure would be: the state, proof, and it's at least four years old (if no age statement).

• I like it 1

On 6/19/2017 at 6:16 PM, GeeTen said:

Two Stars is TW speak for 'PLONK" - not worthy of even 1 star for a rating.  Funky aftertaste with no redeeming qualities.  JMHO.   :ph34r:

No real point to my comment here other than wanting to call out how I like reading your comments about "plonk".  I've never heard the phrase before, but I love it (and also enjoy your insights about Total Wine even though living in state controlled Virginia means that TW will only sell me beer or wine).

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

No real point to my comment here other than wanting to call out how I like reading your comments about "plonk".  I've never heard the phrase before, but I love it (and also enjoy your insights about Total Wine even though living in state controlled Virginia means that TW will only sell me beer or wine).

Ha, ha - "plonk" is a term-of-art amongst (is that an English word?) wine geeks meaning really bad wine that's not worthy of a cardboard box, let alone a glass bottle.  Feel free to add it to your every day conversation since it's applicability is truly universal.  Has a certain ring to it, no?    :wacko:

• I like it 1

Got an email from TW in Louisville today.  The gentleman followed up on my questioning their shelf advert of Two Stars as a wheater and confirmed that, after checking with several sources, he was given inaccurate info and that Two Stars is a rye bourbon, not wheated.  

Good to see that customer service and accuracy is still pursued by some.  Been recommending TW to friends & co-workers for their fantastic prices in the Louisville area, now I believe I can add customer service as well.

• I like it 1

I just tried this in a TW. They didn't claim it was a wheater but they heavily played up the Sazerac/BT connection. It was decent. Tasted an awful lot like like VOB which it probably is a slightly younger version of. At $20.99 it's probably something I'd buy when there are other things I like better for the same or less. For instance, at this store FRSmB is $21.97. I'd spend the extra $.98.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

I just tried this in a TW. They didn't claim it was a wheater but they heavily played up the Sazerac/BT connection. It was decent. Tasted an awful lot like like VOB which it probably is a slightly younger version of. At $20.99 it's probably something I'd buy when there are other things I like better for the same or less. For instance, at this store FRSmB is $21.97. I'd spend the extra $.98.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a product from Barton/1792. It's from from BT. In the OP's first post here, he had this link. 

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=12079001000034

Even though Sazerac owns both BT and 1792, they're still separate entities. It's kinda hard to argue with the TTB. Just sayin'. 

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'm pretty sure this isn't a product from Barton/1792. It's from from BT. In the OP's first post here, he had this link. 

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=12079001000034

Even though Sazerac owns both BT and 1792, they're still separate entities. It's kinda hard to argue with the TTB. Just sayin'. 

Cheers! Joe

Oops..missed that. Well..in any case it still reminds me of a slightly harsher VOB. Still something I'm probably not gonna buy. Ha

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

For instance, at this store FRSmB is $21.97. I'd spend the extra $.98.

All day, every day!

The "store brands (spirits direct)" are major profit makers that counteract the "loss leaders", like BT, MM, KC, & 4R smb. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.