Hochstadter's "Slow and Low" Rock and Rye.

ethangsmith
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hidden

Interesting rumor :)

Our founder, Rob Cooper, has always been a huge rye whiskey enthusiast - far before it came back into vogue. Several years ago, we did acquire a healthy stock of straight rye whiskey, including some of the best aged straight rye we've ever come across. No hyperbole here - we've tasted it with some of the most notable folks in the whiskey world and many people say it's the best straight rye they've ever had.

The slight inaccuracy in the rumor is the age of the straight rye. The stock we acquired is not the same liquid in Whistlepig, but in fact an older and rarer stock. We will be releasing the product this Fall, and I will be sure to share the news with you here as soon as I'm able.

Hoping to confirm or dispel it actually. Rumor has already been started beyond my control.
Hidden

Our founder, Rob Cooper, has always been a huge rye whiskey enthusiast - far before it came back into vogue. Several years ago, we did acquire a healthy stock of straight rye whiskey, including some of the best aged straight rye we've ever come across. No hyperbole here - we've tasted it with some of the most notable folks in the whiskey world and many people say it's the best straight rye they've ever had.

The slight inaccuracy in the rumor is the age of the straight rye. The stock we acquired is not the same liquid in Whistlepig, but in fact an older and rarer stock. We will be releasing the product this Fall, and I will be sure to share the news with you here as soon as I'm able.

Hoping to confirm or dispel it actually. Rumor has already been started beyond my control.

Our founder, Robert Cooper, has been a serious rye whiskey enthusiast for a long time - far before rye came back into vogue. Several years ago, we did acquire a healthy stock of straight rye whiskies from multiple sources. Included in this acquisition was an amazing discovery of aged, perfectly matured straight rye. No hyperbole here - we tasted it with some of the most notable folks in the whiskey world, and they tell us it's the best straight rye they've ever had.

One inaccuracy in the rumor is the age of the whiskey. We are not using the same liquid as Whistlepig or Jefferson, but in fact an older and rarer stock. This Fall, we will be releasing a limited expression of this whiskey - a 13 year straight rye, truly robust and complex. I will share more info here as soon as I'm able. We're very excited to see how this community enjoys it!

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought we could launch a reality show "rye wars"

This Fall, we will be releasing a limited expression of this whiskey - a 13 year straight rye, truly robust and complex. I will share more info here as soon as I'm able. We're very excited to see how this community enjoys it!

So this best rye ever is going to be turned into rock and rye, or released as straight whiskey?

I found it super tastey. But I'd feel better if only crummy rye is dressed up with candy and stuff and keep the best tasting things for sippin on their own.

Great package too by the way.

Edited by brettckeen

I am sure Joen will clarify but it sounds like they have several different ryes at their disposal and that this special rye will likely be reserved for a bottling independent of the Rock and Rye. Or at least only a small part of it is used in the blend for the Rock and Rye.

I hope that when the special rye is released that some of it will find its way to Atlanta!

As a member of a group that routinely drinks straight whiskey at proofs well above 100 I kind of have to wonder a bit about those hardcore drinkers getting bombed on this (I am guessing maybe other things were also consumed given what I have heard about TOTC!) but I am willing to consider putting both that and the interesting marketing approach aside and consider the merit of this product based on the contents in the bottle.

In the spirit of judging the merits of this product based on the contents in the bottle I was able to acquire one of my own today! I hope to crack it open and try it out this weekend.

post-8493-14489819497653_thumb.jpg

The Hochstadter's Rock & Rye has shown up at a few of my regular stores in Massachusetts. While I'm definitely planning to add one to my shopping list, I think this will be a fall/winter sort of drink for me. Like others here, I would love to try the 98-proof version, it'd be lovely if it could be released as a limited edition special holiday season bottle (and I'd even pay a premium to try it).

Joen, thanks for joining us here. I really like the bottle and label design; I can't wait to taste the contents. The website and newsletter's hipster marketing imagery and purple-prose writing style is a bit too over-the-top for my taste, but if it produces the right sales numbers, then it's done what marketing should.

Edited by Kalessin

Now a 13 yr old straight rye is something I could get behind and buy. Waiting to hear more details.

Bought another bottle of the 98 today, have not seen the other one in Michigan yet.

Best regards, Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Opened the 84 proof R&R earlier this week and tried it again last night. I find it reasonably enjoyable in a Drambuie sort of way. Not the same base spirit or flavor of course but has the same moderately sweet and citrus/spice component and thicker oily mouth feel. In any case not bad for $17 a bottle for a casual drink when I want something other than straight whiskey but don't feel like making something. A generous pour over a cube fits the bill.

I would love to be able to try the higher original proof version.

“It was indeed a 98 proof product that used a six year straight rye as its foundation. While it was warmly received, even this hardcore crew of drinkers were getting absolutely floored after a couple of drinks. We wanted to create a serious product for whiskey drinkers, but this had professionals rolling around on the sidewalks. In addition to turning well-meaning adults into threats to public decency, the extremely high proof also had consequences for the flavor profile.â€

After reading this, I feel like heading to the cellar and dumping out all my inhumane 98+ proof whiskey--which, unfortunately, means drain pouring most of what’s down there. Cannot imagine what I was thinking in having trusted myself to add my own water, or in having been so easily duped by those clever outfits who did not admire or respect me enough to lower the proof before bottling. (Sorry if I’m laying it on a little thick. But . . . wow.)

Thanks to the thoughtful assistance of a friend I received a 98pf version of the R&R. I look forward to doing a SBS to see if the proof makes any difference.

post-8493-14489819697881_thumb.jpeg

The bottle is the same and only the label is different. I was pleased to see that the charming inner portion of the label was still similar! The first picture is of the later 84pf version and the model appears to have a bit more revealing and "provocative" pose than her appearance in the 98pf bottle.

I found a website that claims to have one of the competitors, Jacquin's R&R, available in 80 pf. Most sites seem to be 54 pf though. Can't imagine the Mr. Boston version is likely to be much of a comparison but if I can find the Jacquin 80 pf version I might get it for comparison.

post-8493-14489819697638_thumb.jpeg

post-8493-14489819698133_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this for the first time today and grabbed it. It's the 84 proof. I have to say the bottle is one of the best looking on the shelf, the design is really well done and eye catching. The contents aren't bad either. I like my homemade rock and rye better, but this is a nice option to have around and the price is relatively low so it fills a nice niche.

Bought a bottle at Spirits in Dallas yesterday thinking I was getting my wife a new bottle of rye to try. She is a Rittenhouse BIB kinda girl usually. Got it home and noticed the orange and honey on the label and thought "Ah crap." I have been gifted WT honey and EW honey in the past couple of years and it lasts ALL year. I like this bottling though. It doesn't have the medicinal quality I get from the honey products. More whiskey and less flavoring. I am going to enjoy some of this on the rocks tonight. I'm glad I didn't notice the orange & honey on the label at the store as I would not have bought it, but glad I did. Don't know if my recommendation counts though since I drink nothing but Tom Moore BIB in a plastic handle. Sometimes directly from the bottle (pouring spout removed of course).

• 3 weeks later...

The 98 proof must have been sent overseas. That is all we have in Alberta.

Looked at it the yesterday because of the bottle and origins in PA,

but reshelved it because I noticed the citrus addition.

It carries a $40 price tag here.

Joe

• 3 months later...

Our terrible PA state stores just moved it to close out status. Good idea guys, cut the product where the biggest cluster of rock and rye drinkers are.

Our terrible PA state stores just moved it to close out status. Good idea guys, cut the product where the biggest cluster of rock and rye drinkers are.

That is a shame. This has become a favorite quick cocktail over a single large cube this time of year especially, and while I think I prefer the 98 proof the 84 proof version, which is the only locally available option, isn't too bad either. Also made a nice and affordable gift for holiday party's.

I picked up a bottle of the 84 proof after a friend gave it a positive comments. I really like the flavors but found it a bit too sweet when poured neat at room temperature, and an ice cube diluted it too much. The freezer remedied both problems! I would probably like the 98 proof better but this is a really good "quick cocktail" when I don't want to pull out the old fashioned accoutrements.

It's great to see a bottle like this actually taste good, and unfortunate that the rest of the "flavored whisky" labels make it a harder sell because everything else is swill.

I've been conversing with one of the reps at Cooper Spirits and the reason for moving the Hochstadter's to close out in PA is to get the last of the 98 proof product out of the system. Unfortunately in PA, when you change a product, you have to close it out of the state stores and then re-introduce it. So this summer we should see the 84 proof version. I'm going to go snap up a bunch of the 98 while it's out there and I'll start grabbing the 84 when it starts to appear. I've got to say, the folks at Cooper Spirits have pretty darn good customer service!

• 6 months later...

Just started appearing on a few Aussie web sites earlier this month. $50 a bottle. Might try one in the interests of 'research'..... and 'cause I'm a sucker for a good flavored whiskey (no pun intended) :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.