Rye Tasting (WT 101, Ritt BiB, Willet)

ISU_grad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm a rye lover and recently I was able to get my hands on some WT101 and Willet Rye. I've had Ritt BiB sitting in my bar for a while so I've decided to compare them to see which one I liked more. I'm not much on writing so here goes on my rudimentary notes:

Willet

Nose

Oak, slight hint of alcohol

Taste

Sharp Oak, deep sweetness, slight rye spice

Finish

Heavy Oak, slight alcohol

Overall

A quality rye, not as rich as I typically like, light on the spice. This one has plenty of depth in oak flavor though.

WT101 Rye

Nose

faint Sweetness

Taste

rich sweet butter, slight oak, a mild spice I associate with rye

Finish

Rich oak, and sweetness

Overall, the balance of the oak, spice, and sweetness is very good. It's been quite a while since I've had this and I forgot how wonderful it is. It's really a shame that this isn't currently being produced, I'm glad that I bunkered several of these when I found it.

Rittenhouse BIB

Nose

Sweetness, slight alcohol

Taste

Spice, Carmel, Rich carmel and oak flavors

Finish

Oak, and spice lingering on the tongue

Overall, this is a very bold rye to me with an excellent finish to it. The richness of the flavors and the depth is what I really love.

For my personal taste I would rank these in the order of my favories as Ritt BiB, WT101, then the Willet. Although it greatly depends on how I'm feeling on a given night. If I'm looking for something that I'm going to sip and enjoy it's going to be the WT101. The Ritt BiB is something for me to savor and enjoy after a really nice meal.

Nice post. What was the age on your Willett?

4 years and 110 proof, I'm assuming it's the new one that was released recently as I just picked it up in the last few weeks. I felt it made a good comparison because it was about the same age/proof as the other two.

I do have some Old Scout Rye (7 years I believe 95 proof) and Templeton which if memory serves me is 80 proof and around 4 years so I might have to compare those as well.

The Willett 4 year 110 is an old release, the last 2 releases have been 5 year olds. They have slowly upped the age statement, it went from 3 to 4 and now 5. They all taste pretty much exactly the same, which is crazy, cuz even the 3 didn't taste too young. I love the grown up version of Bulleitt, but at $45/bottle here in LA...I just can't buy it anymore, especially since Bulleitt Rye is $19.99 at Trader Joe's.

Welcome the great world of rye, it's a wonderful place.

TPS has a Willett 4yo 110 right now. Does anyone know if the one on this thread is of same release? Is it LDI or Kentucky? I am thinking of including some on my next order from TPS if it is of Kentucky birth. I've had enough of the LDI for the time being...not really my cup of rye. Thanks!

Just bought a bottle of the Willett 4 yr 110 today and while not at TPS, it was from a large, well known store in Jersey City and it was distilled in Indiana. Doesn't hurt to give the TPS a call to ask.

All the Willett Rye I've seen labels on state distilled in Indiana. The 5 year, 110 proof showed up here locally last week for $45. I passed.

The smell of rye must be in the air. Last night I had r1, baby Saz and finished up with a High West Doublerye. Why those three? They were all $7 and under at the lounge! Decided not to rank .. as I'm of the mind that they're all good in their own way. I did find the r1 much more than I thought I would based on some postings. I think the biggest complaint on this was the price and it's no longer on the liquor store shelf for that reason I am told. I do have the Willett 4 & 5 and think that 5 was an improvement over 4.

TPS has a Willett 4yo 110 right now. Does anyone know if the one on this thread is of same release? Is it LDI or Kentucky? I am thinking of including some on my next order from TPS if it is of Kentucky birth. I've had enough of the LDI for the time being...not really my cup of rye. Thanks!

I believe most of the Willett Ryes TPS gets in are LDI. Not 100% sure on this one, but I will probably be in the store the next couple of days: I will ask Jay if he is around.

I believe most of the Willett Ryes TPS gets in are LDI. Not 100% sure on this one, but I will probably be in the store the next couple of days: I will ask Jay if he is around.

The Rye that I posted about is distilled in Indiana so I assume that's LDI or whatever they are going by these days.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.