Sale on Binny's Hand-picked Rendezvous

Alphanumeric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was just looking at Binny's site tonight and noticed a Sales link. Followed it and lo and behold, Binny's Hand-picked Rendezvous was there at the other end. Staring at me. Tempting me to buy it.

Now, I try to limit my alcohol purchasing (scoff away) and my upcoming purchase was supposed to be a bottle of Maraschino. However, this sale Rendezvous is five bucks cheaper than standard Rendezvous, and 100 proof (versus 92) to boot. So I guess I'll have to wait on that Maraschino.

Anyone tried this Binny's version? Any remarks?

Anyway, I'll be off to purchase a bottle tomorrow. I'm not sure how long this has been/will be on sale, but I thought I'd give all you High West fans a heads-up.

Edit: I'd like to clarify that I am not purchasing this solely because it is on sale. I've only heard good things about the regular Rendezvous and it's been on my whiskey list so I figured this was a good opportunity to finally get a bottle. For those interested, it's normally $59.99 and is currently $49.99. And Double Rye! Binny's HP is going for $36.99 instead of the usual $44.99.

Edited by Alphanumeric

Too bad they don't ship to WA State. I love the regular Rendezvous & that 100proof version would be right up my alley!

A local store here in Atlanta alslo had a "hand picked" 100 proof HW Rendezvous rye available. I picked one up but haven't opened it. The local one was supposedly given additional aging of about 2 years in the barrel as well.

Of course it also was given a higher price here as well. I am curious if it is a similar bottling. Hard to tell as there is not much info on the Binny's website about it that I see.

Im a huge High West fan. Would love to see a pic of the bottle if you pick it up...or any info on whether the labeling is different.

The Binny's Rendezvous was re-barreled and aged for a time (can't recall how long) in a barrel previously used to age HW's barreled manhattan, 36th Vote. Their Double Rye! Was re-barreled in a Four Roses barrel. I tasted both and was disappointed by the Rendezvous. The re-barrel seemed to mute the more subtle notes of the 16yo component of the whiskey, leaving behind the minty, dilly influence of the younger LDI.

It's been a few years since I've had regular Rendezvous, but I used to be a big fan.

I thought the re-barreling improved the DR!, the regular bottling of which I am not a fan. The young waxy notes I remember from the bottle I had a few years ago were washed away with the barrel influence for a sweeter, fuller whiskey, but not something I need on my bar at the price it goes for.

Thanks for the review. I'm intrigued by the higher proof, but not excited about the finished barrels. I'll pass for now.

The Double Rye is the one that was finished in the Manhattan Barrel. The Rendezvous was in the Four Roses barrel.

The Double Rye is the one that was finished in the Manhattan Barrel. The Rendezvous was in the Four Roses barrel.

Whoops, got them reversed, thanks Joe.

Alpha, have you cracked it open yet? What did you think (i guess it is hard though, having no basis for comparison if you've never had regular rezendevous).

Well, I went out the next day and purchased a bottle. Aaron's comment disappoints me a little, but I'm sure it'll still be worthwhile.

Trump: I have yet to crack it open, so I can't provide a review. There are far too many open bottles languishing on my bar already. I'll be sure to post back here when I do end up opening it though (probably in March). Hopefully some regular Rendezvous will have passed my lips by that point.

post-9105-14489818560969_thumb.jpg

post-9105-14489818561549_thumb.jpg

post-9105-14489818562129_thumb.jpg

Yep, that is the same stuff a store in Atlanta (Holeman & Finch Bottle Shop) is selling down here for MUCH MORE more. I posted about it on the "What Rye Are You Drinking" thread. I like it a lot, a good bit more than the regular Rendezvous. I loved the additional proof and actually found less of the dill pickle juice component I normally get from Rendezvous. I also thought there was some additional sweetness imparted from the refill bourbon barrels.

Now, with all that said, the fact that you guys are paying $49.99 and I paid $70 makes me sick.

Now, with all that said, the fact that you guys are paying $49.99 and I paid $70 makes me sick.

Does Binnys ship to GA?

I could taste a bit of the Manhatten barrel (I think). I only had the DR, but I thought it was amazing - sweet and spice (maybe allspice?). I brought the bottle to a friends and it was gone by the time I left. Bought another the following day. I was at a Binny's location last night and all of the select HW barrels were gone. It was def worth it.

Just sign up for their newsletter. The coupon came as something to print off via email

Valid 1/26 - in store only.....you need a Binny's card too.

Edited by Jono

Binny's has a 15% off coupon this weekend.

Damn you. I'm already past quota for this month's purchases. I hold you accountable if my liquor shelf gives out.

Oh that's a good one Alpha, I usually rely on the 'my liquor bill doesn't match your shoe purchases' retort.

Well, I pulled the trigger an snapped up a bottle...the last in the case...of Rendezvous Rye from my local Binny's and decided to grab

a JW Green as well (just due to the supposed ending of the line and word of mouth).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.