Whiskey getting harder to find

AGarrison
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I keep seeing stories recently about whiskey that was easy to find getting scarce. Here's one from K&L:

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2013/5/22/why-american-whiskey-is-getting-harder-to-get.html

I guess we are just lucky here in TN. Most whiskies are really in good supply. Angel's envy? yep, no problem. WL 12? Yep, plenty by the cases. Bulleit, 4R? yep, plenty. Anyone seeing supply in general drying up (beyond the pappy always-hard-to-find)?

Chuck has info from BT warning of shortages too:

http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2013/05/whiskey-shortage-is-so-bad-buffalo.html

So its our fault now.....................great!!!

Everything is cyclical, everything. The weather, politics, wives, why not whiskey.

The current boom has, as stated in Col Chuck's blog created a shortage of sorts, one we perhaps dont quite see....yet. In reaction the distilleries are ramping up and increasing their aging supply while many many small "mirco"-distilleries pop up from every gopher hole.

So when the real "shortage" hits folks turn to other spirits and for new relationships. Maybe the next forum will be "nastygin.com", who knows. but the interesting thing is what happens next.

People got so accustomed to drinking clear pine tar because they couldnt get bourbon, they dont notice when they can. All of the sudden the shortage turns to glut. (love me a good glut).

History tends to repeat itself itself itself itself.................

More and more things do seem to be in shorter supply here than they have been in the past. But in general I don't have too much of a problem finding what I want.

If a particular label is in short supply, I'm usually able to find something else to fit the bill. Or - I can wait (as I haven't found myself with NO whiskey yet)!

Last time I checked my basement, the supply was doing just Fine! Thomas

There's a certain amount of solace knowing today is a work day and the stills of Kentucky are up and running.

Edited by squire

No shortage of bourbons or scotches here, but not a large selection of ryes.

There's a certain amount of solace knowing today is a work day and the stills of Kentucky are up and running.

I'd take that KL wines article with a grain of salt, ex. the Russells Reserve is plentiful everywhere I've been. While bars/restaurants may have put a strain on supply, I suspect any shortages will be highly dependent upon geography and, as stated, temporary.

The news creates an interesting situation. In one way shortages may become a self-fulfilling prophecy as we all line the shelves of our bourbon bunkers. But the good news is the distillers won't be slowing down anytime soon.

Meruck wrote: Work day.....??? how would you know Squire?

Lucky guess on my part.

Meruck wrote: Work day.....??? how would you know Squire?

Lucky guess on my part.

Okay, Squire. You can wander back off to retirement now. :grin:

Really, I think that most of the shortages will manifest in the trendier bottles. We're lucky here in that we recognize a quality bottle for what's inside, not for the special holographic, laser-etched label, or for whatever everyone's drooling over this month. We're in a good position to hunker down with our VOB and HH BIB and weather the storm. I'm not worried. (yet) :rolleyes:

Will do but think I'll wander by the liquor store first.

Dang you retired guys getting to the store first, while the rest of us are out working! *shaking fist*

Clearly, we have stumbled on the real reason why we can't find stuff, the hoards of retirees have snapped it up first. Probably gloat about it over their early bird dinner too while the rest of the world is just thinking about leaving the office....

But seriously, Squire, I believe most of us, myself included, envy and look forward to the time when we are in the same position as you.

Thanks for livening up my day.

B

Buffalo Trace sent out this press release yesterday, thought I'd share it. It's an interesting way of dealing with the same issue that Maker's Mark has:

BOURBON BOOM CAUSES PERIODIC BOURBON SHORTAGES AT BUFFALO TRACE DISTILLERY

FRANKFORT, FRANKLIN COUNTY, KY (May 22, 2013) Bourbon whiskey consumption has been on a roll, and Kentucky’s bourbon distilleries are struggling to keep up with demand. Nowhere is this more true than at Buffalo Trace Distillery, producer of brands such as Blanton’s, Buffalo Trace, and Pappy Van Winkle.

Despite the increase in distillation over the past few years, demand for bourbon is outpacing supply. Bourbon must be matured in new oak barrels and Buffalo Trace ages many of its barrels for eight to ten years, and some even as long as 23 years. That’s a long time to wait for a bottle of bourbon. Not to mention, with the amount of bourbon lost to evaporation each year a barrel is half empty after ten years. This is the price paid for well-aged whiskey, but not good news for a world thirsty for every drop of bourbon coming out of this 226-year-old Distillery.

“We are making more bourbon every day. Our warehouses are filling up with new barrels. Waiting for the bourbon to come of age is the hard part. While we wait, there could be temporary product shortages, even on favorites like Buffalo Trace, and Eagle Rare,†said Kris Comstock, bourbon marketing director.

“This announcement is not meant as some sort of scare tactic to get people hoarding bourbon. We always want to be upfront with our fans. We won’t take drastic measures to mitigate the shortages, such as raising prices excessively, lowering the proof or reducing the age of our whiskies,†continued Comstock. “We’ve made a commitment to quality that we’re not willing to compromise. What this means is that there simply may be times when some of our brands are missing from store shelves.â€

Comstock stresses that any bourbon shortages from Buffalo Trace will be temporary, as new barrels are coming of age and are being bottled daily at the Distillery, and will soon find their way to the liquor store shelves and bars. He notes, “We just ask our fans to remember, aging good bourbon takes time, and we’re doing our best to keep up.â€

Over the years the Distillery has taken several steps to try to prevent any shortages, such as increasing distillation, installing additional bottling lines, hiring more people, and managing brands on allocation. In fact, Buffalo Trace will hire another person dedicated to watching and balancing bourbon inventory with sales. Because of these efforts, Buffalo Trace Bourbon continues to become more available each year, as well as Weller, Eagle Rare, and Blanton’s. It just might not be enough. Buffalo Trace estimates the bourbon shortage could start at any time and may last a few years, based on current sales trends.

About Buffalo Trace Distillery

Buffalo Trace Distillery is a family-owned company based in Frankfort, Franklin County, Kentucky. The Distillery's rich distilling tradition dates back to 1787 and includes such legends as E.H. Taylor, Jr., George T. Stagg, Albert B. Blanton, Orville Schupp, and Elmer T. Lee. Buffalo Trace Distillery is a fully operational distillery producing bourbon, rye and vodka on site and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Distillery has won seven distillery titles since 2000 from such notable publications as Whisky Magazine, Whisky Advocate Magazine and Wine Enthusiast Magazine. It was named Whisky Magazine 2010 World Icons of Whisky “Whisky Visitor Attraction of the Year.†Buffalo Trace Distillery has also garnered more than 200 awards for its wide range of premium whiskies. To learn more about Buffalo Trace Distillery visit www.buffalotracedistillery.com. To download images from Buffalo Trace Distillery visitwww.buffalotracemediakit.com.

I have been noticing a few things lately:

VWFRR I have not been able to get for a few years.

Saz Jr. is now turning into a once a year event.

Weller 12 has been drying up.

The 4R LTD stuff is now at seemingly 2x the bottle production but harder to get.

I stopped chasing Pappy15 a few years ago as well.

Thankfully, I can be pretty darn happy with mid-shelfers.

That's the Zen of Bourbon, being content with what we can reach and we don't need long arms.

That's the Zen of Bourbon, being content with what we can reach and we don't need long arms.

Absolutely. Great thought!

I guess I'm lucky to work in a distillery... I have no shortage of whiskey... ever...

• 3 weeks later...

If there is no shortage in your world Winston - can you hook a fellow up with some Balcones Bourbon....just had to ask. :cool:

If there is no shortage in your world Winston - can you hook a fellow up with some Balcones Bourbon....just had to ask. :cool:

What bourbon? That's MY bourbon :skep:

WT doubled their distilling capacity with their new distillery but that doesn't help much without more warehouses. Even if they had the new warehouses today you wouldn't see the benefits for 8 to 12 years down the road.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.