Short Mountain Distillery TN

AGarrison
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

According to the auditors Capone didn't own anything nor did he have any income . . . on paper.

AGarrison, I did read that in some of his press stuff too. I thought it was cool that he brought the old times together. If you are going to make a moonshine type product, some real guys would be helpful to start.

RArnold, the first cite I could find is entitled Wort Composition and Beer Flavor: The Influence of Some Amino Acids on the Formation of Higher Aliphatic Alcohols and Esters, Simon Engan, Nov. 1969 Journal of Institute of Brewing.

They adding increasing amounts of pure glucose to all-malt worts (up to 50% glucose), and found that ethyl acetate formation increased slightly, and Amyl Alcohols really went through the roof. The rest of the study shows how to temper these reactions by adding various amino acids.

I'll keep looking for more direct info. for you. It appears at first glance that Amyl Alcohol production is the real issue, rather than ethyl acetate, even though EA levels did go up as the sugar concentration increased. But again, this is only 50% sucrose and 50% brewer's wort, so it's not an exact parallel to what we were discussing in terms of table sugar fermentations.

Cheers. And by the way, I find your yeast work in TX to be fascinating.

Ok, I found the cite.

Sugar Uptake and Subsequent Ester and Higher Alcohol Production by Saccharomyces Cerevisiae; J. Institute of Brewing, Sept. 1998, pp. 255-264; Younis & the legendary Graham Stewart

From article:

The purpose ofthis study was to determine and compare the levels ofproduction of several esters and higher alcohols, under constant fermentation conditions using several brewing strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, when either glucose, fructose or maltose was employed as the sole carbohydrate source in shaking flask fermentations. Wort fermentations were also undertaken. Levels of ester-synthesising enzymes present in glucose and maltose grown cells were also investigated.

They found that out of all the sugars fermented, the sugar that released less (in most cases, far less) ethyl acetate, isoamyl acetate, propanol, and isobutanol was maltose.

Glucose yielded higher amounts of those congeners across the board.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.